navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Major changes to G83 rules for solar PV installations needing advance permission  (Read 48894 times)
JohnP2014

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2014, 05:07:04 AM »

Thank you both for the reassurance that in normal conditions the excess PV power will pass "backwards" through the various transformers.

It rather makes me wonder what the fuss, about changing the G83 rules to require additional per-notification of domestic installations, was all about.
[Just a cynical attempt to slow-down the domestic PV market ?]

The counter measures to avoid "islanding" are a bit beyond my "D" grade in a 1964 physics A level; but it is good to know that there was an agreed international effort to avoid the problem over 10 years ago.

Before installing PV all I knew about my electricity supply was that, as the last home on the Eastern edge of a section of the grid, if there was a power cut available, I would get it.
After the Square One Aurora 3.6 kWh inverter was installed, I discovered that my supply seems to suffer from high voltage [Fair enough for those applications producing heat, but a waste of power and money when running electronics and electrical motors?] My voltage has been spotted on the inverter display, as as high as 255 V and as low as only 244 V.
Last summer I did notice the daily "bell curve",  of a fine day's generation, appearing on the desk top monitor, could include some apparent "drop outs" of production, thought I never managed to observe the inverter in such a situation.

I share the transformer with a commercial operation that only operates 5.5 days a week, so I think I will keep an eye open for a sunny Sunday and, by turning the immersion on and off, see what effect going from importing to exporting has on the local voltage.   
JohnP2014

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2014, 04:55:34 AM »

Just for the record, between 11:30 and 12:00 on Sunday 16mar14, I checked that there appeared to be nothing but the security camera drawing current at my neighbouring property,  then, with my parasitic consumption at 150W & inverter generating 2.9 kW, I conducted three iterations of this experiment:

Check mains voltage, as reported by the inverter display: 252 V 
Flick on full 3kW kettle then check the   inverter display:  255 V
Ivan

« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2014, 10:20:39 PM »

Might be worth speaking to the DNO. They have a legal obligation to keep your voltage within certain limits - which they are clearly not doing. They will (should) install voltage monitoring equipment at your property to determine how far outside the legal limits and for how long, the voltage strays. They will then try to fob you off and tell you that they're allowed to supply outside the legal range as long as it's less than x% of the time. Of course, you can then ask for the data so you can check for yourself, and ask them to quote the rules that say they're allowed to supply over-high or over-low voltage for x% of the time - when they can't do that, they will have to accept their legal obligation to correct the problem. DNOs are paid to provide an adequate electrical network, whereas in fact they are often nursing an inadequate network rather than investing the money in upgrading the network. Of course, when anyone comes along with a big PV or wind project, they're an easy target - and they end up paying to provide these upgrades.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Iain

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2014, 08:25:45 AM »

Hi John

My voltage has been spotted on the inverter display, as as high as 255 V and as low as only 244 V.

Just out of interest, how long is your cable from the inverter to the consumer unit and what size cable is it?

If you have a long cable or one with a small CSA ( or a combination of both) it can cause the inverter voltage to be much higher than the incomer voltage.
Could always compare the voltage at your incomer/consumer unit and the inverter at the same time.
If your cable is long/small CSA it will be a noticeable difference. Worth checking before the DNO checks their end.

Check mains voltage, as reported by the inverter display: 252 V 
Flick on full 3kW kettle then check the   inverter display:  255 V

I would have expected the voltage to drop when you put the kettle on??
If the tests were carried out on same base load
Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
http://www.bdpv.com/fiche_utilisateur_en.php?util=iain
http://www.sunnyportal.com/Templates/PublicPageOverview.aspx?plant=cba8d47f-bf09-4533-a105-4303b353f20f&splang=
puredrivebatteries

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2016, 09:56:38 AM »

I see the future as being that every home has battery storage and the grid becomes the back up system! we are a long way off from this yet though.
roys

« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2016, 05:00:55 PM »

Puredrivebatteries, why don't you introduce yourself properly instead of digging up lots of various old posts relating to pv and batteries.  People might start to get the wrong impression and think you are planning to spam the forum.
camillitech

« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2016, 10:53:35 PM »

Puredrivebatteries, why don't you introduce yourself properly instead of digging up lots of various old posts relating to pv and batteries.  People might start to get the wrong impression and think you are planning to spam the forum.

Methinks I smell  spam! Roys  hysteria where are the mods and how did this paul@puredrivebatteries.co.uk get past the  onpatrol  hysteria

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2016, 11:13:12 PM »

I wuz walking the dog,
  Billi wuz counting his trout,
     Stann wuz counting his sheep
         Ant wuz watching for a decent set of deep cycles
            Ivan is after a bargain Batt as well
               Ted wants Paul to help him with some technical details.
                  Tod is en route to Sweden to sing with Abba
     And I was born seeing the best in everybody,
                        I am perfecting my B/S,,I,m going into politics
                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2016, 07:43:31 AM »

Grin  true Biff    was counting trout  bud did  smell red herring too
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:08:43 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
renewablejohn

« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2016, 07:58:09 AM »

I see the future as being that every home has battery storage and the grid becomes the back up system! we are a long way off from this yet though.

Why would you need batteries if you had a fuel cell for your winter heat and electric with solar for summer use. Both would export excess to the grid.
puredrivebatteries

« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2016, 09:10:03 AM »

Hi Guys,

Sorry I am new to this so I hope that I have not upset you, I'm not a spammer just an individual with a general interest to the market, and I registered the same as anyone else would.

Paul
puredrivebatteries

« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2016, 09:16:11 AM »

Hey renewable John, batteries are used and are getting more and more used would you believe me if I told you that many countries Grids use battery technology to support the demands! they are used to store energy that you can use later its fairly simple lots of people have them.
skyewright

« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2016, 09:57:32 AM »

Sorry I am new to this so I hope that I have not upset you, I'm not a spammer just an individual with a general interest to the market, and I registered the same as anyone else would.
On the whole you've done fine. You haven't posted links to your business, not even via your profile or sig. All would have probably been fine, if it wasn't for this item in http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16238.0.html, entitled "    
Forum Rules - ALL members please take note
".

(c) Member Usernames that are directly related to company names or websites or names which make up phrases advertising a service are not allowed. e.g. you may not choose a Username such as 'cheapsolarinstallations' or 'Cheap Solar Ltd' or 'Wessex Solar Installations'. If you already have a Username of this nature, please take steps to change it, or if you are unable to do this, contact a member of our moderator team who will be able to help you make these changes.

So, by choosing the user name you have you've immediately raised suspicions.

Sorry if that seems harsh, but over the years we've seen a lot of people who simply want to use the forum for promotion...  Sad

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: