navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hydometers  (Read 8672 times)
Alba

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 09:18:27 AM »

So without any heating system added as yet. Ambient temp 6.6c Battery box 17.7c near the end of absorb.

Happy days  Grin

Ali
Iain

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »

Hi Alba
From my recent post
We overcame the problem by keeping the battery on a 0.5A trickle charge. This obviously kept the battery fully topped up and the charge also kept the battery temp up a bit.

With your battery in an insulated box would it be worth having the battery on a permanent trickle charge and see if that works. Use the elec to the battery instead of a heat pad. Worth a try, and also ensures the battery is always fully charged.

As the battery bank is on charge it will produce some heat, as you have seen. As you are charging every day will the temp be OK? especially if the box is well insulated.
Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Alba

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »

Hi Iain
should be fine for now. I will check it 7am tomorrow before the gen starts and see how much it's dropped. It's only going to get colder so I doubt they will overheat. I have space to add another 5cm styrox if needed (probably next month) and see how the temp holds out before I start adding a heating system when / if needed. ATM, absorb voltage is 58.8v (TC) but I would like to set it back to Surrette suggested 57.6v if the bank can retain the heat. Lets see......

Ali
johnrae

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 12:05:26 PM »

Be aware that making a nice tight insulated box may also mean you have a quantity of oxygen and hydrogen gas contained therein waiting to recombine once it finds an ignition source.
Alba

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »

Hi John

I have 2 vents on the lid. Thanks for the concerns though  Cool

Ali
camillitech

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 05:44:50 PM »

Just curious chaps, but do you know if those 're combi' caps remove/lessen the explosive risk, I know Billy swears by them.

http://www.totalbatteries.co.uk/i-Rolls-Hydro-Caps-I7815.html

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Alba

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 05:24:11 AM »

Hi Paul
Is that price for one only or a set of 3 or something ? Not cheap eh ! When I ordered my batteries, there was no mention of the vent caps but I got them included anyway.
I have used them since the beginning which was only June this year whistlie, so I can't compare to not having them but I've only used 2 lts (24 cells) to top up the batts 2 weeks ago then have been absorbing the feck out of them since and can't see any noticable drop in electrolyte levels since then.
I would imagine then, could be wrong, that if the vent caps reduce water consumption by recondensing the gas back into the cells, then surely that means far less gas escapes into the surroundings.

Ali 
camillitech

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 06:46:42 AM »

Hi Ali, they're certainly not cheap, think I found some on eBay USA for $6 dollars each but wasn't sure if they'd actually fit my batteries. I use quite allot of water when the hydro turbine is going as the batteries are constantly bubbling but I now top up with filtered rainwater thanks to a tip from Biff. I hasten to add that I catch it in a clean plastic oil tank cut in half and not from the roof. I'm sure snow would be just as good.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Alba

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2012, 07:03:22 AM »

I would imagine the caps are universal for Rolls batts, could be wrong, but you could always check with Surrette. I don't need to collect snow coz the vent caps do such an outstanding job  Grin
What do you use to filter the water Paul ? Would something like a coffee filter be ok ? PLENTY of snow I could "harvest" for through the year  Cool

Ali
Eleanor

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2012, 12:09:36 PM »

The more hydrogen the cells produce the shorter the life of the caps will be. Is there any way of knowing when they need replacing?  Huh

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
Alba

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 12:18:30 PM »

More topping up than before !
Eleanor

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 12:40:21 AM »

Ah, I've never seen any. Do they have holes in them so that hydrogen and oxygen molecules can escape if they aren't recombined to form water?  Huh

Alba

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 05:24:29 AM »

I think there must be some sort of release/escape holes. Can't really see with the naked eye, but I do sometimes see very small droplets lying on the top of the batteries directly below the vent cap
Eleanor

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »

From reading about them the recombination reaction is supposed to make the caps quite warm which should help heat the box when the batteries are absorbing. It also says that the temperature of the individual caps can be related to the SOC of each cell so the more charged the cell is the warmer the cap will be. Also, if it doesn’t warm up or gets too hot it could indicate overcharging or a problem with the cell or the cap. If you could approximate temperature to SOC it could save time with the hydrometer. See what I did there  Grin

www.hydrocapcorp.com/picts/installing.jpg

www.hydrocapcorp.com/info.htm
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:36:41 AM by Eleanor » Logged

Alba

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2012, 02:15:38 PM »

Ha ! Never even noticed that .... Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: