navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery question.  (Read 2382 times)
bottleveg

« on: September 05, 2012, 10:28:33 PM »

What is the best temperature for lead acid batteries?
Iím currently building a new engine house for my Lister Start O Matic.
I have the option of installing the starter batteries in with the generator or in a store
room next door.
The engine house temperature will rise to around 45c when the engine is running but the store room will be unheated so will follow the ambient temperature of the seasons.
Which would be best?
  Mark.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 10:40:38 PM »

Starter Battery ?    Its under my bonnet  in my car  and normally its cold there , when I need her ....  , or do you want to use her as a storage battery ?

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
bottleveg

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:02:27 PM »

Starter Battery ?    Its under my bonnet  in my car  and normally its cold there , when I need her ....  , or do you want to use her as a storage battery ?

Billi

Hi Billi,
This is a Lister generator. It uses 2 x 12v batteries to start itself on demand.
I read an article some time back that stated lead acid batteries would have a longer life if kept at cooler temperatures. The article suggested that car batteries would be better mounted in the boot as apposed to next to the engine.
Any thoughts?
   Mark.
knighty

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 11:08:33 PM »

but... they also have a lower capacity as the temperature falls... and you can't draw power from them or charge them back up as quick Shocked

I found this graph with google
http://support.rollsbattery.com/solution/categories/2242/folders/18626/articles/5860-temperature-vs-capacity-flooded-lead-acid-batteries

but can't find any for battery life/longevity
bottleveg

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 11:58:05 PM »

but... they also have a lower capacity as the temperature falls... and you can't draw power from them or charge them back up as quick Shocked

I found this graph with google
http://support.rollsbattery.com/solution/categories/2242/folders/18626/articles/5860-temperature-vs-capacity-flooded-lead-acid-batteries

but can't find any for battery life/longevity

Hi Knighty,
That was also in my thinking. The store room could get close to freezing in the depths of winter but the heavily insulated engine house will probably only drop to 20c. 
camillitech

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 08:58:51 AM »

Hi Mark, I would just put the batteries where they fit and where the cable run is shortest. All the information about battery life, temperature, is kind of irrelevant in this application as you're not really cycling them. The Start O Matic decompresses so not the huge load associated with firing up a normal diesel and its crude charging system just puts in a constant trickle adjustable by switch or resistor. If you fit a set of decent batteries to an SOM they should last for donkeys years, you can fire up an SOM with pretty dodgy batteries even at sub zero temperatures.

I would just put them where its convenient, usually right at the back of the alternator.

Good luck, Paul 

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
bottleveg

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 06:39:23 PM »

Hi Mark, I would just put the batteries where they fit and where the cable run is shortest. All the information about battery life, temperature, is kind of irrelevant in this application as you're not really cycling them. The Start O Matic decompresses so not the huge load associated with firing up a normal diesel and its crude charging system just puts in a constant trickle adjustable by switch or resistor. If you fit a set of decent batteries to an SOM they should last for donkeys years, you can fire up an SOM with pretty dodgy batteries even at sub zero temperatures.

I would just put them where its convenient, usually right at the back of the alternator.

Good luck, Paul 

Thanks Paul,
Iíve had these batteries in my old engine house, mounted in the conventional way, but I thought Iíd ask before fitting them in the new one.
    Mark.
camillitech

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »

Hi mark,

I've got one set on a plastic fish box for Harry the HR2, one set on a milk crate for Cyril the SR2 and 'Old Faithful' the SR1 has his single battery on a wooden shelf. Keeps them off the ground and the cable runs short, all the batteries are ancient and apart from the single cylinder will still be guaranteed to start in an emergency.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: