navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ram confusion  (Read 6803 times)
PaulOckenden

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »

It is the 32 bit version with service pack 3.     My own software is all 32 bit extended DOS so  I cannot use newer versions of windows.      Excel shows the amount  of physical RAM correctly  but  shows 1.45 MB only available.   From My Computer memory is shown as 2.91 GB.       In theory  32 bits should  allow  4096 MB of address space but that would be shared with the operating system. 
If I were you I'd get a nice shiny new fast computer [Checks topic] Errr, a nice slow cheap green computer, with lots of RAM and running Win7 x64 (or whatever), and then running your old extended DOS software in a VM.

At least that way you wouldn't be wasting over half of your 8Gb.  ;-)

P.
dhaslam

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 11:34:04 PM »

I have  an old server with 64 bit Linux that has been replaced by a NAS  system.  The  reason for changing was that the  server was using a few kWh daily and the NAS just uses two 3.5" drives.    The Linux machine  would probably be a better choice  for video software anyway.     In any case  video is more of a curiosity, it is quite difficult to make a change from still photography.       

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
knighty

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 12:25:05 AM »

the 4gb limit is for all memory... so includes things like gfx card ram

so if you have a 512mb gfx card you loose (can't access) another 512meg of system ram

but... working from ram is a hell of a lot faster than a hard disk... can't remember the numbers off the top of my head... but it's more than 100times faster I'm sure....

running winxp64bit would speed things up a lot for you :-)
clivejo

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »

Regarding running windoze software.  I've found Virtual Box to be brilliant.  Its like a computer within a computer.  I used it a lot when I was fixing the Davis weather station as the software is Windoz based and comms via USB.

There are a few different versions and you have to install the correct one to host USB devices, but I must say it works a treat!  I've even flashed mobile phones using the USB via Virtual box.  I have quite a few images/OS's installed (WinXP, Win7, Various Ubuntu, Various Android, Minix, an Asterisk server) You can download it here - https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads  

As for the memory, matching pairs is always the advice.  However, Ive mixed modules (ie a 1GB and 2GB) in the past and found no speed issues, maybe I was lucky!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:48:31 AM by clivejo » Logged

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: