navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPS used on external battery bank 8hours our of 24?  (Read 9721 times)
martin W

what do you mean my snoring is too loud!

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 05:48:41 PM »

Thanks for the reply biff, I'll give that a try tomorrow if sun comes out to play... I guessed doing an equalisation charge (30v?) on sealed batteries was asking for trouble  Grin

Just reassessed exactly what I 'need' to run off the UPS. its a netbook which doubles as the server, printer (not used 22:00-05:00 so switched off then), router and a network switch. all 4 items use around 35watts total.

APC UPS700xl uses around 34 watts without a load / 44 watts with 10 watt load (running from mains). Interestingly its using around 1.1amp when running on the battery with no load, so I assume around 28-30 watts (26v on batteries).

I wonder if there is a cheap 100watt true sine wave inverter about will less of an overhead?

Woodstove owner since Feb 2011 Tongue (yes it's finally off the pallet)
Solar Water Heating since 17th March 2009, 2.94kW PV since Dec 2011
Chicken Owner - Self sufficient in chicken c*@p, boy watch those tomatoes grow. Allotment owner since August 2011
Now an Lister wannabie Tongue
marcus

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 09:37:37 PM »

I wonder if there is a cheap 100watt true sine wave inverter about will less of an overhead?

do you really need pure sine wave? most things work fine on MSW (including computers and their power supplies), and MSW are cheaper and have less overhead.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: