navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MS and Remote Desktop - Use Free Team Viewer Instead  (Read 3638 times)
martin W

what do you mean my snoring is too loud!

« on: October 09, 2012, 04:37:26 PM »

Hi all I thought this might be of interest in the low energy computing section.

I have just spent the last 4 hours trying to get the microsoft in built windows 7 Remote desktop application to work.

I have a laptop I use every day and a netbook which is now going to be used as the media server and my link to the Aurora P|V inverter.

Allegedly Windows 7 allows you to connect one laptop to the other to by allowing remote desktop.

Firstly both PCs are windows 7 home premium. after several hours whereby I can move files between the two laptops, but remote desktop cannot connect.

After several hours trying this and that advice from the internet and microsoft, I finally stumble upon a little know fact that a Window 7 home premium laptop cannot CONTROL another laptop. Home basic and home Premium versions can only be controlled by a higher level Windows 7 (business, etc)..... facepalm  Huh  facepalm f@"%$^^$ microsoft.

As so now to the point of the topic, I have just come across a free software call Teamviewer which works within 5 minutes includingthe download time...... Download file on both PC, install on both PCs, run program on both PCs then connect one to other. Marvelous

This software works over the internet, or over your own LAN. could be nice for your remote pc'ers

Martin

Woodstove owner since Feb 2011 Tongue (yes it's finally off the pallet)
Solar Water Heating since 17th March 2009, 2.94kW PV since Dec 2011
Chicken Owner - Self sufficient in chicken c*@p, boy watch those tomatoes grow. Allotment owner since August 2011
Now an Lister wannabie Tongue
billt

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 06:35:05 PM »

After several hours trying this and that advice from the internet and microsoft, I finally stumble upon a little know fact that a Window 7 home premium laptop cannot CONTROL another laptop. Home basic and home Premium versions can only be controlled by a higher level Windows 7 (business, etc)..... facepalm  Huh  facepalm f@"%$^^$ microsoft.

Not quite. All Windows 7 versions can run a Remote Desktop client to control another Windows PC. What the lower than Professional versions can't do is run RDP server, so they can't be controlled from another RD PC. I control my Windows Home Server machine (which does have a Remote Desktop server) from all my other machines (including a Mac) which have clients.

VNC is another widely used, free program that works as a Remote Desktop replacement.
Dca

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:49:08 PM »

I use www.logmein.com  (Log me in) and have been for many years, also free.

The app on the Ipad is very useful.

Easy to set up and good security features.

D
martin W

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 11:16:19 AM »

Not quite. All Windows 7 versions can run a Remote Desktop client to control another Windows PC. What the lower than Professional versions can't do is run RDP server, so they can't be controlled from another RD PC. I control my Windows Home Server machine (which does have a Remote Desktop server) from all my other machines (including a Mac) which have clients.

VNC is another widely used, free program that works as a Remote Desktop replacement.

So what you are saying is that windows 7 home premium can control a windows 7 business, but not the otherway around?? Or do you mean home and premium versions cannot control each other but can control higher up verisions.....

Chicken Owner - Self sufficient in chicken c*@p, boy watch those tomatoes grow. Allotment owner since August 2011
billt

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »

Both.
martin W

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 02:18:15 PM »

Well that's blooming stupid of MS.... and their support pages most definately does not make that clear...

But thanks for clearing that up Bilt.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: