navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY wood burner with boiler???  (Read 61559 times)
Lincsoldbird

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 09:06:11 PM »

Hi made my stove out off 2mm steel folded still going strong after 5 winters. It burns so well that I only clean the ash weekly.

My chimney is only 4 in double wall above the caravan, about 2m in height, with 1.6mm stainless welding wire for guilds. Single 4in inside.

Yes they will stay in for 24 hours sometimes mostly about 16hours.

I have one in the caravan and one in the workshop would not swap for any thing. Will try and post a picture.

Paul
Greenbeast

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 08:04:58 AM »

Excellent thanks for that, a pic and some dimensions would be great
Lincsoldbird

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 02:13:06 PM »

Here a picture of the the one in the caravan not very pretty but was built from scrapes in a day. Keeps the place nice and warm.

Its about 30in high 16in deep and 12in wide.

hope that's some help.

Paul
Greenbeast

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 02:16:43 PM »

great, that helps thanks, do you think flat sheet steel would do?
Lincsoldbird

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 02:24:22 PM »

Hi I would have thought so, it's just that I've got a folder and had some 2mm steel to spare. Made the rest out of 6mm steel, IE the back chamber lid and base.

Paul
Greenbeast

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »

thanks for your help Smiley
Lincsoldbird

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 10:21:51 PM »

Alfie the dog like it
Greenbeast

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 10:27:24 PM »

i might get some drawings made up and have the steel cut for me, then i can weld it up during my welding evening course to save time Grin
dhaslam

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 11:51:36 PM »

Are the two  stoves identical and  does the one in the workshop  have  a taller chimney?  If so  is there any difference in performance?    Although quite simple  it is  quite a sophisticated  downdraught  design.  Using a water heating coil  in the rear  section  might reduce the draught slightly so the chimney would probably need to be a little taller to compensate.   

The draw is very impressive in the video below, no smoke to the room with the  door wide open  but that is with the chimney already warm.   

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Greenbeast

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 07:51:08 AM »

is the back are the best placement for a coil/boiler?

How should i create that, should i buy a standard 'clip-in' boiler and integrate it?
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 08:49:21 AM »

I think the best position would be as high as possible well above the combustion zone, then you can keep the combustion as hot and efficient as possible, and extract the heat from the clean gasses before they exit the stove. Look at the design of all gas boilers, they are all the same, there is no flame impingement on cold surfaces by design and all good woodburners should be the same.

I have a woodwarm with a back boiler, it is obvious that the boiler is in the wrong place there is almost no combustion at the bottom of the boiler and it gradually gets covered by ash, and also it is in the zone where the wood is being pyrolysed to release the vapours and gasses, putting a huge bucket of cold water in that zone is bound to condense those vapours back into liquids and tars that condense all over the boiler.

If I had the time I would build a stove using a cast iron gas boiler heat exchanger mounted at the top of a firebrick lined combustion chamber, I keep looking at our stove and thinking it is possible to do something similar, and to that end I have squirreled away two big heat exchangers. But if you feel you could use them, they are yours. I could post a piccy or two if you are interested.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Greenbeast

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 09:03:54 AM »

a pic would be great desp, thanks

And thanks for your thoughts
Greenbeast

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 09:11:14 AM »

frustratingly i have an old cast iron gas back boiler in my lounge (actually as you well know!) but as we are now selling the house i can't start ripping apart the fireplace to extract it.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 09:11:35 AM »

No worries mate, dont fancy making 2 of these  in your forge perchance??

I will post a piccy this evening, I have to go to work soon.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Greenbeast

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »

two whole stoves with boilers?

Yeah, don't see why not. not sure when i'm gonna actually get time to do it but if i'm doing one, an extra should be no trouble
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: