navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY wood burner with boiler???  (Read 61246 times)
Greenbeast

« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2012, 07:43:14 AM »

yeah i think i'll get the bulk of the stove cut out of 5 or 6mm steel.
Greenbeast

« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »

I may experiment knocking one of these up during the christmas break, might use a gas cylinder for a prototype, then when proven order some cut steel to weld up
Lincsoldbird

« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2012, 09:59:22 PM »

Just go for it and get warm. I'm sat here in my t shirt and it 1deg out side. extrahappy
Greenbeast

« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2012, 07:29:11 AM »

I'd love to tinker sooner than that but a) i have too much work on and b) luckily i'm not actually living there yet, it's just weekends currently
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2012, 04:33:45 PM »

My Friend is also making a bigger boiler stove. His original full water jacket with baffle sprung a leak. 10 years worth of back end corrosion, cold water straight into back of stove from CH circuit.

the baffle was absolutely spot on.

Stuart

8kw woodburner, Big piles of wood, 20 tube solar panel, custom tanks, back up gas boiler, North walls internally insulated
1968 landy that runs on anything and a currently wild meadow garden.

Nr. Tow Law
knighty

« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »

I keep thinking about building one... but I want to heat water more than heat the air...

so I'm thinking it would be best to insulate all around the outside of the burner to keep the heat in.. and then oversize the back boiler to take as much heat as possible ? (but from behind the baffle, not from the firebox)

anyone know what kind of insulation would be suitable?

it wasn't hard to make the home made wood burner we had at work glow red... which according to google is getting on for over 450'C Shocked

unless it had a air gab around the stove, and then a water jacket all the way around it ?
(pain in the arse to build it tho.....)
Greenbeast

« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »

knighty you could use soft firebricks, that will insulate it very well and shunt all the heat to the back chamber i suspect.

http://shop.vitcas.com/insulating-fire-bricks-24-c.asp
good for 1300C

if it was me i would oversize the steel shell and insulate internally, otherwise the steel will burn away, ask me how i know  facepalm
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 05:18:30 PM by Greenbeast » Logged
Greenbeast

« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2012, 08:29:42 PM »

i vented and filled with water a 47kg propane cylinder today.
I'll try to cut it open next week and look at preparing a lid and the baffle

it'll have a 4" flue i think and server as a reasonable prototype before building a decent one, it'll then performs it's duties in my workshop  Grin
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2012, 08:41:46 PM »

Keep it filled with water while you cut it, arrange for the cut to be uppermost, get the wifeys apron and goggles while you wield the angle grinder.

Have fun

speD
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 10:45:26 PM by desperate » Logged

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Greenbeast

« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2012, 08:50:38 PM »

that's how i did the last one desp  Wink
Billy
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »

We always used to weld mini petrol tanks when they were full.

Those were the days eh?
Heinz

« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2012, 09:35:56 PM »

You mean you didn't use the 'match round the corner' method? Place drained fuel tank behind a wall, reach round with your hand and drop a lighted match in it. WHOOMP !!! and the tank is safe to weld .....  hysteria 
Used to do this regularly when I was much younger and dumber until one time I was doing a motorcycle tank and it tried to turn itself inside out  sh*tfan

H

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
Billy
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2012, 10:18:32 PM »

H,

I still have the scars on my face.   Grin

Most of my apprenticeship felt like it was spent cooped up inside a car "fire watching" with a fairyliquid bottle full of water!   wackoold
Heinz

« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2012, 12:11:09 AM »

Man, I remember that  Grin  Vauxhaul Chevette one side jacked up high, doors open, apprentice doing the 'fire watching' as I gas welded a new sill on. Looked up to see the inside of the car full of flame and a layer of black smoke in the roof of the workshop. Blo0dy apprentice had bug*ered off for his teabreak and not told me.... The boss was NOT happy  fume
Happy days  Grin

H

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
mike7

« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2012, 02:31:12 AM »

Only just now skimmed through this thread ... epic stuff. Re firebox insulation, for experiments I've used pieces of scrap suspended ceiling panel. Easy to cut, no thermal mass to speak of, and free. Won't last for ever, but it surprised me just how long it survived.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: