navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home made Thermal store  (Read 16381 times)
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »

Paul C might have some input on the sort of containers knocking around fish farms. Still, the cubicness of IBCs is something that makes them attractive.

There were some people operating a helicopter out of the field opposite me for an afternoon back in August, spraying the bracken on the hillsides. They were filling it from an IBC on a trailer. Not exactly the sort of contents you'd want in your house but an example of the low volume operation which isn't immediately obvious.
skyewright

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 03:47:04 PM »

Paul C might have some input on the sort of containers knocking around fish farms. Still, the cubicness of IBCs is something that makes them attractive.
Good point about Paul. ISTR he's had some amazing cast offs from such places.

Stackability is unlikely to be an issue here. If it ever happened, the most likely location for the store(s) would be in a small lean-to construction (think "coal bunker").

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40°, WSW, Lat 57° 9' (Isle of Skye)
Jonah

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 07:44:56 AM »

Hi all, I'm now looking for a few temp gauges for this and remember seeing around 5 strapped on the outside of somebodys tank, was that yours knightly? Anyway, anybody know where I can pick these up cheap?

With the radiator side of things? Sould the combi boiler side be cut off with 2 way motorized valve or left open? If its left open can I use it's expansion vessel or should I fit another. I don't mind losing a bit of heat pushing water through the combi heat exchanger but don't know how much resistance there is or if it would become a bypass.        Thing I've just answered my own question whilst typing this out......
Jonah

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 08:03:12 AM »

Ref the above, I think it was hawkish not knightly on temp senders......
knighty

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 10:30:02 AM »

wasn't me.... wish I has a tank to stick some on !

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 10:42:03 AM »

It wasnt me either....

But I did buy 20 of these http://tinyurl.com/68dojxp & my free gift was another one i.e. they sent me 21.

They only register up to 70 deg C - above that, they just say "Hi"

Dunnow how they can manufacture them & send them to the UK complete with batteries for £1.13 each (after the 1st one).....

Jonah

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »

Ref the above, I think it was hawkish not knightly on temp senders......

Bloody spell check, hawkie sorry not hawkish...
eabadger

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 11:42:40 AM »

Did you get any further with this homemade heat store idea?
I am about to lift the stone floors in our eco’ish build/conversion to float concrete floors, I was toying with the idea of 1000ltr ibc tanks in a void under the floor, would have to pump the heat down to them, but could gravity feed back out, would only need a little over 1mtrsq access to them so under stairs or similar no UFH area.
Good idea, or foolish, post too much wine and food break?

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
Lincsoldbird

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »

Hi what temp would a glass fish tank be happy at , the big ones on e-bay don't go for much.

Paul
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: