navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AA and AAA battery charger  (Read 1573 times)
Richard Owen

Navitron PV Installer

« on: November 08, 2012, 10:07:04 PM »

Hi all,

I know this isn't really the place for diddy batteries and their chargers.

I bought a cheap charger and cooked all my rechargeables. Got discouraged and bought some Duracells.

Hate them, hate them, hate them.

I'd love to get back into the ring with renewable batteries but would like to have a decent charger that nurtures my batteries rather than tramples all over them.

Any recommendations?

44 Yingli 230Wp panels feeding into 2x Solar Edge SE5000 inverters.
20x 58mm SE, 20x 58mm SW, Solar Thermal feeding 320l thermal store.
10kW heat pump.
300W of Hydro Power.
martin

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:01:12 PM »

I'm using a charger by "Infapower" which is nominally a "1 hour" charger (high capacity batteries take longer), which certainly seems to do the job well - I use it mostly for AAs for photo flash gun use. I've got some sets of Duracell rechargeable "stay charged" batteries which seem very good (keep their charge well, and are very consistent in voltage across four of them, both when discharged and full)
I'd suggest going for a known make of charger and batteries - I took the advice on the charger from my excellent local camera shop.

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
guydewdney

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 12:04:04 AM »

i have given up with rechargeables, and mostly use procell from duracell for things that dont get charged reguarly (eg torches) or brand stuff for things with built in chargers (phones)

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
dhaslam

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 01:18:37 AM »

I have   a Tronic  one like in the video below.  The only fault is that it won't charge  flat batteries but I have an older one of the same make that  isn't so fussy.

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
billt

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 08:51:51 AM »

I too have one of the Lidl ones and it seems to work well, and not destroy batteries.
Barrie

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »

Yep, so do I.

It discharges any remaining charge before commencing the charge cycle...

Milton Keynes Vauxhall Insignia EcoTech
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: