navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When pv just can't cut the mustard ....  (Read 2962 times)
agrarian

« on: November 22, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »

After spending the summer hearing how much better and cheaper and reliable their solar panel counterparts are, the turbines have now come into their own and are putting the negligible output from the panels to shame. I love my turbines.

Ag

2 x Yangzhou Shenzhou 2KW , 1.2KW pv, 540Ah@120v deep cycle, 2 x 2KW sine wave, off grid on a Snowdonia mountain. Never forget that the power varies as the CUBE of the windspeed.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 07:23:20 PM »

I gotta agree AG,
                 Turbines are Go,Your baby must be on overdrive at the moment,?
                                                                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
rogeriko

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 07:26:45 PM »

Indeed I couldn't agree more. Got a measly 50a out of the panels for about 4 hours today but a whopping 100+ amps since about 5 o'clock this morning and its going to keep going for days non-stop. All the lights are on, electric heaters on full, 52" TV with no one watching and 2 full size computers with double screens. I love my turbines too!

* 3turbines.jpg (114.36 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 536 times.)

camillitech

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »

Aye the old PV aint much use at this latitude right now, one thing I think we've all learned over the years is you can't rely solely (hydro excepted) on just one technology, certainly not in this part of northern Europe that's for sure. Can't wait to see the old Proven for the first time in two months  Cool

Not to mention the boy at the bottom  bike

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Billy
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 08:03:58 PM »

Not long now Paul.   extrahappy

Soon be back on the water, if the weather's ok.      

Why do you need to box the compass these days, I thought seamanship courses had been brung up to date like?
camillitech

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 08:16:24 PM »

Not long now Paul.   extrahappy

Soon be back on the water, if the weather's ok.      

Why do you need to box the compass these days, I thought seamanship courses had been brung up to date like?

You have got to be joking Billy, we spent a week doing this on this mock up.

The last time I saw a ship rigged like that was on the bottom of Mounts Bay off the Lizard 25 years ago. It had been put there by a U boat in 1945  wackoold

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
clockmanFR

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 09:14:47 PM »

Spot on Paul,
Your new knowledge will come in very handy.

I never go to sea without my Plassimo hand bearing compas.  Once my GPS, in some god forsaken Greek islands, showed us at 200 meters below sea level?  wackoold 

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
renewablejohn

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 09:36:17 PM »

OK rub it in. still waiting to get planning permission
camillitech

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 08:15:54 AM »

Your new knowledge will come in very handy.

That's the worst of it I've been on, in and under the sea for over thirty years, have held a boatmasters license for over fifteen and been 'second driver' on a 30m Ro Ro ferry for ten  banghead Two months of my life gone, that I could have been tinkering with turbines, building a house and dealing with pigs  fume

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 09:59:21 AM »

Let us know how you get on with the pigs Paul.  Claire & Natalie are now nice and safely tucked up in the freezer.  Bacon likewise.  Nice to have you back

Tod

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
knighty

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 12:48:04 PM »

Paul, I saw you were in South Shields but didn't realise it was for so long, I'm only 5min away in Boldon, we could have gone for a pint Wink
camillitech

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 10:24:33 AM »

Paul, I saw you were in South Shields but didn't realise it was for so long, I'm only 5min away in Boldon, we could have gone for a pint Wink

Back again next year for six weeks knighty, look forward to it, along with visiting St B and Stuart.

offthegridandy

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »

Granted PV "can't cut the mustard" in winter, neither does it cut the adjoining hedge when it explodes when wind speeds increase.  And it don't need lowering in the teeth of a gale; so it ain't all bad eh.

But seriously I don't like being dependant on just one energy source.  Our Aga type (Alpha) burns oil but we also have a standby (bottled) gas ring plus combination microwave; only used in direst emergency plus we can cook on top of wood burning stove. Same principal applies to generation.

I love going down to the local town and hearing about the "power cut last night", What power cut was that say I rather smugly.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »

Same here Andy,
              When we get power cuts here in Donegal,which is often enough,I light up the house like a christmas tree and make sure it can be seen for miles.Our Pv is delivering 800watts in total,from two 1kw arrays but will probely peak around 1100watt at 1pm which is not bad for this time of year.
                                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
knighty

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 02:26:19 PM »

Back again next year for six weeks knighty, look forward to it, along with visiting St B and Stuart.

sounds like a plan to me :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: