navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1000w turbine  (Read 3503 times)
greenhouseparos

« on: November 13, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »

I am looking for opinions/recomendations for 1000w wind turbines. I currently have a 750w turbine that after much effort have finally got working (ok almost working) and although it performes reasonably well it does need a good blow to get a decent amount of power out. I have a good wind site with yearly average of 7m/s. with the 750w turbine 7m/s makes only 250w. Seems to me I should be looking to use the lower wind speeds.

Paul     

2660wp array, 1000amp 24v Ops battery bank, 3500XTM Struder24v, 80amp Outback, 750w Wind Turbine, Solar powered water supply
Off Grid and loving it
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »

Hi Paul,

I think you'll struggle to find any 1kw turbine that performs better than what you have at 7 m/s You need a bigger turbine along with its associated hassle  Grin or just get another of the same, or better still more PV, wind just can't compete in your location unless you spend silly money on a turbine. Sure you can get a bigger one with low speed blades, just site it well away from the house and watch out for flying debris in the storms. Or sit at home all day watching the weather forecast, never go on holiday and lower it every time there's a blow.

Stephendv  was getting great results from his PV in December http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com/blog/2011/12/03/and-i-was-worried-about-the-solar-production-when-the-fog-rolled-in/ Me I'm a great fan of wind but in your location I'd stick with what you've got and get more PV. Biff's your expert on these turbines so perhaps you can get lower speed blades but that'll make it very dodgy in a gale.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:47:24 PM »

Hi Paul,
      We have spent a lot of hours,weeks,months if not years experimenting with low wind speed blades,Paul is right(camillitech),,low wind speed blades are great untill a storm gets up and then the large blade area which was so attractive before the storm becomes a downright menace.
   You need to try different combinations and see what suits you.Perhaps another 750watt turbine would be the answer,or maybe you could try a 2kw  fitted with either smaller 48volt x 1kw blades (this has proved to be a really good move for me) or fit the old thin seagull of r5r blades made of solid fibreglass. Personally I would go for another 750watt job with its own controller but into the same bank and try and locate it in a better spot.
                                                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 10:12:52 PM »

Hi Paul,

Perhaps another 750watt turbine would be the answer

if you're determined to go down the WT route then this is what I'd do, but with the price of PV and your location then I'd just get more panels.

Good luck, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
dhaslam

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 12:09:15 AM »

What you need is large blades that can vary pitch.  Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be possible in smaller sizes, it is either too expensive,  not reliable enough,  or both.   

The other alternative is to have oversize blades and have a way to lower  the  turbine before strong winds. 

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Sean

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 10:55:59 AM »

how about a taller tower .......
greenhouseparos

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »

Thanks for the replies.
The site I have is very good with exposure to all directions.
My thinking about a bigger turbine came from playing with the idea of using the wind for water heating.
We have just had to start lighting the wb of an evening to keep ourselves comfortable. At the same time we have had a constant 5-6b blowing  for the past 7 days. Having floor heating and a 500l tank to warm up (the wb is connected) I want to investigate the wind option.
With a 1000w or bigger turbine do they not furl out of the wind when it reaches a certain speed or do you have to make your own one for that? (Hugh P turbines all seem to have large dia and furl themselves).
Putting up another 750w would obviously give twice the power but still need those high wind speeds.
My tower (6m) has a winch and is lowered single handed within 2min and as I live on site (and we benefit from very accurate forecasts) I am pretty sure I can lower if necessary to avoid high wind damage. 
Paul

2660wp array, 1000amp 24v Ops battery bank, 3500XTM Struder24v, 80amp Outback, 750w Wind Turbine, Solar powered water supply
Off Grid and loving it
camillitech

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »

Hi Paul,

a 1Kw turbine is not going to produce any more power at that wind speed (or very little) than your current turbine. Take a look at the Futurenergy power curve for instance.

http://www.futurenergy.co.uk/pdf_doc/FE1048U%20%28408%29.pdf

Larger blades on your own turbine will obviously produce some extra power at lower speeds but will put intolerable stresses on your turbine at higher wind speeds. The furling mechanism that you now have will not work at the correct speeds for larger blades and even if it did these mechanisms are not totally dependable. Sudden changes of direction and gusts that would not be a problem with higher speed blades suddenly become critical. Remember the power in the wind increases by the cube so if your 1Kw turbine is generating all its power at 7 m/sec it's going to be cooking at 12 m/sec. Short of braking or lowering your turbine I can see no way round this other than to buy a much larger turbine. My own Proven 2.5Kw is only generating 1Kw at 7 m/sec.

Good luck, Paul

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »

For where you are I totally agree with Paul.  PV is cheap as chips at the moment,even an idiot like me can make and install ground mounts bolted not welded together. Easy to install the PV, electrics equally simple . Once installed no moving parts little to go wrong .

More in hope than expectation and as a complete novice  I have just  installed a chinese turbine 2kw, so far in low wind speeds it does not generate much more than 300w. Still waiting for a decent blow. 

Go with PV less fun but more reliable.

Kidwelly South Wales
rogeriko

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 05:51:56 PM »

I have water heating direct from the wind and it works fantastic. All you need is a 2kw Yangzhou Shenzhou 300 volt model this will give you about 450 volts DC which you directly connect to two immersion heaters in series @ 1500 watts each. I can heat 400 litres of water in a few hours and then I have to divert the power to my 2 radiant bar heaters (each with elements also wired in series).  The power this turbine gives out is phenomenal and it has been running for 2 years now except for those 10 beaufort days whe I lower it single-handedly.
The picture of the amps and volts is to show it producing 3281 watts DC

* 2turbinessml1.jpg (96.97 KB, 2560x1920 - viewed 516 times.)

* electric fire sml.jpg (97.93 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 507 times.)

* 3281 watts sml.jpg (89.22 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 513 times.)

rogeriko

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 06:18:28 PM »

Right now its 14 deg outside but in the kitchen its 22 deg only heated by my wind powered electric fires. I have not yet lit the woodstove this autumn because it was warm but when it cooled down a week ago the wind came, a nice 14/16 meters per second.

When I dont use the 2kw Yangzhou for heating I have a homebrew 3 phase transformer setup to charge my batteries.  120A into 24v battery bank.

* Transformerssml.jpg (90.59 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 505 times.)

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 08:12:25 PM »

Hi Roger,
           There is indeed fantastic power in the 2kw Yang-Shen and mine was also churning out in excess of 3kw on a regular basis but I got to the stage where I had problems if I needed to lower it in a hurry,sometimes I had a lot of trouble even walking,so I had to try and cut back the power and I eventually solved this by putting the smaller 1kw x 48volt blades on the 2kw turbine,
  It still sends the power in to heat the water on the dump load @138/9 vdc during the night,so without solar input and I recon it has a comfortable output during a force 6 of around 1600watts+.It seems to be able to manage itself much better and weather the gales at its leasure but we have not had a decent blow now for ages and it is to early to say untill we get that strong wind,
                                                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
marshman

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »

My tower (6m) has a winch and is lowered single handed within 2min and as I live on site (and we benefit from very accurate forecasts) I am pretty sure I can lower if necessary to avoid high wind damage. 
Paul

Get a taller tower!!  My 1kW Futurenergy was originally on a 7m tower. I then raised it another 2m so it now sits at 9m.(50% higher than yours). The difference in output by increasing its height by 2m was quite impressive. I leave it up all the time as my tower doesn't have a winch.The year to date average windspeed at my site is 5.36m/s (this is the actual measured average not some mythical figure from an out of date database). My turbine year to date has generated 556 kWh in 280 days. (Figures are for early October) "averaging" this out gives  just under 83watts.My best 12 month period so generation at 922kWh.

In answer to one of your original questions yes the Futurenergy does furl out of the wind. It starts to furl at around 25mph. I have recently replaced the tail for one of a later design. This seems to give a more damped furling action which seems to give a more consistent output in high winds.

As others have said for reliability, peace of mind and even cost get solar preferably thermal for water heating, if not then PV!

Roger

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 11:53:24 PM »

In my own case,Where I fitted smallers blades to our 2kw Yang-Shen,
                                      The difference is astounding and the turbine is a completely different animal.It still retains it low wind start up ability and mills away happily in winds of 2/3 untill the voltage creeps up to 130v.At that point a sudden sunburst is capable of stopping it,or slowing it down but then as the sun begins to set it starts working harder to make up for the lack of solar.
             To date the controllers have had full control but we have not seen it perform in a serious wind.I will let it run in anything up to force 9 but I will still lower it if I think a force 10/11 is on the way.I see no point in allowing excessive punishment on the yaw and main bearings for no gain.It still performs perfectly on its cradle 90% of the time.
  Both AG and myself are waiting on serious winds to test our different solutions to the overspeed problem on the 2kw YanG-Shen,AG has modified the tail and I have reduced the diameter and wind area of the prop.Both solutions have been behaving perfectly so far.Time and the elements will tell.
                                                                     Biff

agrarian

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 08:16:26 PM »

I'll add my twopenneth of support for the 2KW Yangzhou Shenzhou, with the caution that a few modifications are necessary before you can leave it to it's own devices. Having said that it represents good value for money (well it did when I bought mine).

Ag

2 x Yangzhou Shenzhou 2KW , 1.2KW pv, 540Ah@120v deep cycle, 2 x 2KW sine wave, off grid on a Snowdonia mountain. Never forget that the power varies as the CUBE of the windspeed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: