navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas bottles and their recycling.........  (Read 19385 times)
martin

« on: December 08, 2012, 04:23:16 PM »

Some bottled gas companies will call down the wrath of god upon your head should you dare to chop up one of their bottles (and can prove it's theirs) - should anyone embark on such an enterprise they should ensure that they a) own the bottle in the first place, then (b) take sensible precautions not to blow themselves up when doing so.....(if in doubt, don't) whistlie
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 04:27:05 PM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
waterworks

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »

I make all kinds of goodies from gas bottles, wood stoves, chimnea's, fire bowls, i come across more than i can ever use, if gas companies will not work out a way to pay for the return of stray bottles then i have no sympathy. They do use a sub contractor now to recover strays.

I remove the valve, fill with water, then cut with a grinder, and let the water drain out as i cut, i don't reccomend any other way, if you just flush them out with water there is still gas vapor in there, you can get a brown trousering flame in your face. please be carefull. 
clockmanFR

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:47:48 PM »

Fairy liquid, good concentrate, shake till its real frothy man.

Used to make Compressor tanks and MC petrol tanks and repair them, frothy fairy liquid every time.

Oh yes, don't do it at home folks, get someone else to show you at 50 meters away.  extrahappy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:49:50 PM by clockmanFR » Logged

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 07:10:57 PM »

I saw a video of a Canadian fellow, (Dave) welding a car petrol tank in situ! He drained it as best he could, ran a hose from the exhaust pipe of another car into the fuel filler, ran the engine for ten mins to flood it with exhaust, then replaced the filler-cap and got on with the job. I fully expected the whole thing to go up, but there was only the merest flicker of flame outside the tank. I personally would run away as fast as possible from such a lunatic procedure, but apparently it seems to work...

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »

Wasn't this was it, Nickel2?

Children, never walk beneath an object supported only by chains (even if you have a craving to blow yourself up).

Snat
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:28:11 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
derekmt

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:43:15 PM »

I saw a video of a Canadian fellow, (Dave) welding a car petrol tank in situ! He drained it as best he could, ran a hose from the exhaust pipe of another car into the fuel filler, ran the engine for ten mins to flood it with exhaust, then replaced the filler-cap and got on with the job. I fully expected the whole thing to go up, but there was only the merest flicker of flame outside the tank. I personally would run away as fast as possible from such a lunatic procedure, but apparently it seems to work...

I've seen it done in the flesh with a motorcycle tank in a bike  racing paddock.   it went a bit quiet while he was doing the welding;
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 06:44:39 PM »

Off at a slight tangent.....................

Today at work the roofers were torching on the felt on a big extension I am working on, they had a 40Kg? propane bottle running one of those big 25kW torches and of course it iced the bottle quite seriously and I guess his torch was starting to fade. So for about 5 minutes while he had a ciggy on the go one geezer was melting off the ice with the torch and really giving it some beans. My apprentice was looking more than a bit alarmed .........................but we survived. Good job really as I was moving the gas meter just below the roof at the time sh*tfan sh*tfan

peDs

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Greenbeast

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 08:21:56 PM »

brilliant ha ha
rogeriko

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 12:12:17 AM »

I remember on a trip to Thailand a while back They had big 40/50 kilo gas bottles to fire a kiln and to get the pressure out of them they had a gas burner going under each bottle!   I dont think you had anything to worry about really.

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 06:11:52 PM »

Tans,
That's the fellow, Canadian Dave. There is a very practical person there, trapped in the body of a raving lunatic. His 'Red-neck Roller-coaster' has provided a few laughs during quieter moments, worth a look.
N

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Heinz

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 05:19:11 PM »

Fool...  Roll Eyes
http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/hot-cutting-oil-drum-residual-vapour.htm?eban=govdel-videos&cr=18-Jan-2013

H

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »

I would go with the washing up liquid method.
Nobody wants them, the recycling plant won't take them. Supermarkets don't want to know. So home made recycling is the only answer.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
waterworks

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 08:22:23 PM »

I just emailed Calor to pick up 7 empty bottles , i got no reply !
AndrewE

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »

Off at a slight tangent.....................

Today at work the roofers were torching on the felt on a big extension I am working on, they had a 40Kg? propane bottle running one of those big 25kW torches and of course it iced the bottle quite seriously and I guess his torch was starting to fade. So for about 5 minutes while he had a ciggy on the go one geezer was melting off the ice with the torch and really giving it some beans. My apprentice was looking more than a bit alarmed .........................but we survived. Good job really as I was moving the gas meter just below the roof at the time sh*tfan sh*tfan

peDs

I bought a propane cylinder and torch to re-plumb our house as I had seen a butane gas stove cylinder disconnected because the owner assumed it was empty... except that it wasn't!  There was about 10 minutes consternation and stink as the gas slowly boiled off.  As propane "boils" at  -42 deg C I'm surprised the torch was fading, even if the cylinder had a coating of ice.  Maybe the ice was enough to reduce the heat flow into the liquid gas to slow the supply, but I'm still surprised.  Mind you I have been on a job where an intrinsically safe petrol transfer pump stopped working because the compressed air exhaust iced up!
TheFairway
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 02:55:55 PM »

Calor will pay you minimum 7 if you take a bottle to one of their depots. If you are on a signed agreement, it may be even more.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: