navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: small 48v charger for forklift ?  (Read 2595 times)
knighty

« on: December 14, 2012, 01:01:51 AM »

it's a bit of a pain plugging in and connecting up the forklift charger at work... it only really needs charging once or twice a week but I'd prefer it to be on charge every night just to keep it in decent condition... which is fine when I'm there... but if I'm not there it's normally "forgotten" about

so I was thinking I could just get a little charger to run from a normal 13amp plug, fix it onto the forklift, then on a night all we would need to do it drive it over and part next to a socket and plug it in - piece of cake !

proper charger is a big 3 phase jobbie, puts out 80amps

I was thinking something about 10amps would be fine to keep it topped up most nights, then we could still use the 80amp charger to float to over the weekend or to use if it gets a bit flat

but... I can't find obe anywhere for a decent price.... I was thinking 50 would get me a decent one... but it's more like 200 for a cheapie one...

anyone have any input/ideas ?

I was also thinking about sticking a small heating mat to the bottom of the steel box the batteries are in... the cold is really killing the bank capacity - even on a full charge if you drive/lift/tilt at the same time the headlights dip enough to notice....
(fine when it's warm tho - it can get pretty close to 0'C in our place overnight)
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 06:10:51 AM »

Morning Knighty,

I got a cracking one off Ivan some years ago, I can't remember the specifics of it but it's rack mounted, about the size of a shoe box, perhaps a little smaller and runs off a 13 amp plug (just). It's obviously for charging a large UPS bank, has a cooling fan, two settings and works just fine.

I don't want to part with it but perhaps it's what you should be looking for, perhaps PM Ivan for more details or wait until I get home from Holland and I'll send you the model number etc. I can't recall what I paid for it but it wasn't a fortune.

What I do have though that you're welcome to is a 12/24/36/48v charger that you can have FOC, again I can't remember exact details but 8 or 16 amps at 48v sticks in my head. It doesn't work but is repairable and I could deliver it in January when I'm back down your way. Don't think it's anything serious and may be just what you need.

Will post pictures etc once home on Wednesday.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
knighty

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 01:26:20 AM »

What I do have though that you're welcome to is a 12/24/36/48v charger that you can have FOC, again I can't remember exact details but 8 or 16 amps at 48v sticks in my head. It doesn't work but is repairable and I could deliver it in January when I'm back down your way. Don't think it's anything serious and may be just what you need.

that would be awesome !

sorry I didn't reply earlier, I thought everyone had ignored the thread Shocked

I don't need anything fantastic, just something to keep it topped up and keep the batteries healthy :-)
jonesy

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 03:48:32 PM »

I too have  a 48V charger (pretty sure it is!) you can have.  It came off a UPS.  Weighs about 15kg, size of a shoe box....  I would estimate its output at around 5-8A as the transformer is about 4" cube.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
knighty

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 12:39:31 PM »

wow, 2 offers at once... that's what's great about this forum :-)

camillitech, any idea if yours is 8 or 16amps ?  if it's 16amps I'd rather have that one, but if it's 8 I'm open or anything/what ever works best for you ?

I'll cover all costs and any extra etc.. no problem

thanks

Alan
camillitech

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 07:23:53 PM »

Hi Knighty,

home at last, so here's the pictures of the charger, unfortunately there's no sign of an output (or even input) label. Though from memory I think it was only around 10 amps.

However you can have it FOC and I'm down your way again 21st Jan, though if you're desperate I'll post it for a pint  Grin It worked just fine on 12v (40 or 50amp IIRC ) and 48v but I had to send it back under warranty for a new 'front board' whatever that means. I think the same bit has gone again because it's manifesting the same fault (going into overload and shutting down after a few seconds).

Cheers, Paul
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 07:29:05 PM by camillitech » Logged

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
knighty

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 09:38:12 AM »

I'll nab it from you in Jan if that's ok ?

and you'll get a pint either way :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: