navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old farmhouse project  (Read 3890 times)
Countrypaul

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 10:31:44 PM »

I have an MVHR system in a renovated 1950's Dormer Bungalow and believe it is very worthwhile and a huge benefit to us.

Beware that the renovation an extension we undertook was very substantial so we have Beam and Block floor throughout the groundfloor, onto which we have a dpc, 125mm of PIR, UFH ipes and a 70m screed. The entire first floor was removed and rebuilt using SIPS, several sections of the groundfloor were rebuilt using SIPS and the cavity walls were all filled with injected PIR. Windows are tripple glazed on the north face (large bay windows) and double elsewhere (doors the same). Whilst I haven't had the airtightness checked I believe it is much better than required (I did spend several hundred pounds just on tape for air tightness sealing) - although I have found a couple of leaks recently around service penetrations of the floor. There are no service penetrations of the walls, all services go through the floor, but we do have a few through the roof (3 x sunpipes and the soil pipe vent).

We have seen no problems with condensation or mould inside - though we have only been in for slightly more than a year. We do see condensation on the tripple glazing, but on the outside!

I would definitely recommend it - if you can get the place reasonably airtight.

Stuart_M

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 10:50:34 PM »

Where is the dampness coming from ?  The dodgy rendering,the roof,the ground,unsealed unused chimneys ...
At the moment my best answer is yes! The rendering probably isn't helping and there are unsealed chimneys but roof and ground are the prime suspects at the moment.
The roof was missing slates and has been for a while so there was water ingress. First thing we did was to get the slates replaced to stop it getting any worse but it could explain some of it. The house has also been shut up for a while so limited ventilation to get rid of damp air.
As the house was built in the 1850s there may not be a DPC so rising damp is a possibility. The ground floors are tiled or have been concreted at some point.
The damp is in the bottom 18" of the ground floor walls and shows up on one of the internal load bearing walls.
No pipework around to leak at that point, the heating is all surface mounted which I dislike but does make it easy to confirm there are no leaks!

Further investigation is required to identify if it is one source or a combination of factors.

The MVHR idea may be a non starter then as the chances of ever getting the place airtight are very slim.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: