navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best rayburn solid fuel  (Read 3875 times)
jotec

« on: January 22, 2013, 09:20:56 AM »

We have had our rayburn supreme for 27 years and burn a mixture of wood and taybright. The taybright is for when we want extra heat or to keep it in overnight. Recently it has started to produce more "tar" and SWMBO wants to change the solid fuel as she is convinced this is causing the problem.

What do others use successfully?

Dick

Aiming to reduce dependency on 'mains energy'. Own bio for 40k miles, solar water heating (DIY),  CHP done blog at http://www.dpks.co.uk/CHP/main.htm (not always up to date!)
wattever

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:43:44 AM »

Hi jotec,
I have also been burning either wood or smokeless fuel on my Rayburn Nouvelle for 27 years. Until recently when burning solid fuel, I have always used anthracite large nuts, but recently I have changed to a manufactured smokeless fuel (called Molacite). The reason for this is that the anthracite leaves a certain amount of ash and unburnt shale which is difficult to remove without letting the fire out. The manufactured fuels, being compressed anthracite dust, give only a fine ash when burnt and this is easily riddled into the ash pan and removed. I have never had any tarring or creosote in the flue when burning these fuels, only a fly ash which is easily removed by sweeping.
Burning wood, however, gives plenty of tar and crispy deposits, especially on tickover. So when burning wood, I always burn it at a good rate and never try to keep it in overnight by shutting it down.
Good luck,
wattever

4kW Sanyo HIT 6sqm homemade flat panels Rayburn log boiler, two Aarrow wood stoves
Half hectare mixed hardwood coppice, 9 year rotation. 3.5 cu m Rainwater harvesting. MHRV.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: