navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: large-meteor-in-russia-caught-on-tape/  (Read 2389 times)
AlanM

« on: February 15, 2013, 08:21:31 AM »

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/02/14/large-meteor-in-russia-caught-on-tape/
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »

As an aside I did wonder why so many cars in Russia are fitted with video cameras - http://www.businessinsider.com/why-russian-drivers-have-dash-cams-2012-12

Volunteer moderator
myozone

Lizard peninsula - Cornwall

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:46:41 AM »

Duck & Cover ! fingers crossed! tomatosplat

'Don't live life by the perforations' !
dhaslam

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:30:31 PM »

Interesting that  it was close Russian nuclear facilities. 

The Chelyabinsk region is home to key parts of Russia's civilian and military nuclear industry including Mayak, a waste processing facility that saw one of the world's worst ever nuclear accidents in 1957.

(From)
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/over-500-injured-as-meteor-blasts-across-russian-sky-causing-explosions-and-smashing-windows-8496426.html

I have just bought a low powered  telescope but  unfortunately rain  is expected  this evening.  Best view of 2012DA14 supposed to be around 9 pm.

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
M

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 01:32:18 PM »

As an aside I did wonder why so many cars in Russia are fitted with video cameras - http://www.businessinsider.com/why-russian-drivers-have-dash-cams-2012-12

Boy oh boy Ted, some of them Russians are tough. Running into the side of buses and trucks, and into the front of cars! I assume this is all for insurance claims. How bad they must feel after being run over, then finding they've been videoed!

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
rhys

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 02:34:35 PM »

Well that's a clever way of posting a link to the climate change denialist web site. Think I'll look for a more scientific source. onpatrol
Ivan

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 02:38:27 PM »

Quite a coincidence that we're due for a close fly-by this evening. Is there any evidence that this crash was a companion orbiting with the one that doesn't hit us?

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
AlanM

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 04:30:46 PM »

Ivan, dont think so, the russian one was east west i think and tonights one is south to north.
Rhys, this was up on WUWT at half 10 last night, didnt see it on other sources earlier than that. But if it offends your sensibilities, you'd best go and look somewhere more comforting.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/feb/15/russian-roads-dash-cams-video

This video shows some of the other everyday happenings caught on Russian dashcams when there are no large meteorites visible.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Ivan

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 11:55:59 PM »

What on earth is lying in the road at junctions waiting to upend Russian cars? I watched it several times and couldn't work out what was going on.

I bought myself a dashcam a few weeks ago. Having driven around 200 000 miles up and down the motorways to Navitron over the last few years, I've seen no end of bizarre and unpleasant driving incidents, I figured it might be worth getting them on tape from now on, just in case. Still haven't worked out how to use it properly. It's an HD cam, but it only seems to give me the option of saving up to 15minutes on the SD card (maybe because the resolution is too high for the 4GB SD card I've got in it.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: