navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What heat store for UFH  (Read 14004 times)
alfier

« on: September 28, 2013, 05:46:12 PM »

My son has just put in to his electric only flat
 https://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/product/!!PLUO303!!/X005004001/Underfloor%20Heating/Polyplumb%20Underfloor%20Heating%20House%20Packs/Polyplumb%20Overlay%20House%20Packs/Polyplumb%20Overlay%20House%20Packs%2030m%3Csup%3E2%3C/sup%3E/Polypipe%20UFH%20Overlay%20House%20Pack%2030m%3Csup%3E2%3C%2fsup%3E,%203%20Circuits%20O303

He now needs to find a boiler/Hot water tank that will supply hot water to the under floor system only using economy 7 topped up with day electric if required. Any ideas?
Alfie
 signofcross

dhaslam

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 01:49:31 AM »

There are two pieces of information needed, the estimated  daily heat requirement and   the space available for a store.    Electric elements can  heat to a high temperature  but  high temperatures can increase losses from the store. The product referred to seems to use  about 3 kW, ie. 3X 15 sq metres at 70 watts/sq metre.    If you take  a temperature  range of 40C  from 70C down to 30C    the tank would need  about 65 litres for every hour at full output.   The calculation is  860  X 3 kW /  40 degrees   =64.5.   

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:35:54 AM »

Hi Alfie, I can't open the link, but I guess from it, your ref to a boiler/tank plus dhaslam's reply it's a wet underfloor system we're talking about.

Until early this year I ran my 60m2 of underfloor on an Aztec 6Kw boiler

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Trianco_Aztec_Classic_Electric_Boiler.html

having no other heat source at the time.
If the mass of the floor the heating's installed in can be seen as a store in this case, your son may find as I did that with E7 over night to warm the place up plus thermostat-controlled use at other occupied times it may work economically without a store. In a flat there may be something to be said for trading the (possible) extra efficiency of a big old store with the tiny wall-hung Aztec bunging the heat straight into the floor where you want it.

Chas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: