navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RHI exempt income tax?  (Read 12051 times)
BruceB

« on: March 06, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »

I believe from various announcements that income from RHI in domestic circumstances is expected to be exempt from income tax in the same way as FIT/export tariff.  Has this been enacted in legislation yet?
dhaslam

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »

It shouldn't need legislation because  it isn't business income.

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Ivan

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 01:45:49 AM »

Any money you receive is considered a gain or earnings,  and therefore potentially taxable unless exempt in some form. Let's hope the RHI gets the same tax treatment as the FITs

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 08:21:46 AM »

I haven't seen anything yet. It would presumably feature in the Finance Bill 2013 but there is nothing for RHI in the latest draft AFAICS. The present exemption for FiTs expressly states it is for electricity generation so doesn't cover RHI.

@dhaslam, your approach would put hundreds, if not thousands, of civil servants and accountants out of a job and that would never do.  Wink

Volunteer moderator
BruceB

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 12:00:42 PM »

Thanks.  I am in the unusual position of already getting rhi for domestic (district heating) and am hoping not to have to include it in my tax return to 5/4/13.
Ivan

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 02:38:18 AM »

Bruce, if your RHI is commercial (which it has to be if you're being paid it already), then it won't ever be tax-free, as businesses have never enjoyed tax free FITs - so nor will they enjoy tax free RHI

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
BruceB

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 08:05:37 AM »

I reckon that in due course it will for income tax purposes be considered domestic because it is for a domestic old mill which has a granny annex. Because of the granny annex, although it is one building, it now has 2 council taxes and therefore falls into the district heating and therefore commercial part of the RHI scheme.  If hmrc tried to say it was not part of my domestic arrangements then arguably that would make it a business, which hmrc would not want or wear because that would bring with it the ability to claim CAs on the whole cost etc.  The reality is that it is not a business, it is my home heating.  So my money is on that it all falls within normal domestic arrangements for income tax purposes although within the commercial part of rhi scheme.

We will see whether I get bitten on the backside in due course.  It is a bit disappointing that the exemption I was asking about is not in the current set of Finance Bill 2013 draft clauses, because that was the mechanism that got s782A (the microgeneration exemption) inserted in the ITTOIA 2005 by the Finance Act 2007.
renewablejohn

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 07:41:47 PM »

Sorry Bruce but you dont stand a chance getting away with that as domestic. Dont think that HMRC apply logic they dont have to. All they will do is make an assessment then it is up to the homeowner to justify why the assessment is not valid. Basically you are guilty and you have to prove your innocence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: