navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UGA discovery may allow scientists to make fuel from CO2 in the atmosphere  (Read 10454 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 11:36:08 PM »

Worry not PJ,
             Things will sort themselves out shortly and normal service will be resumed.
                                                                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
wookey

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 02:40:05 AM »

AlanM is indeed an AGW denier, or close to one, and does regularly bring posts with a certain slant to our attention. As he's clearly smart I live in hope that he'll work out the truth eventually. The discussion these posts generate is usually reasonably illuminating, if a little repetitive. Threatening to ban him for it is idiotic, but then people who have been on this site for years know that Martin is an irrational conspiracist, and often an embarrassment in this way. (And I'm sometimes blunt to the point of rudeness). Not sure there is much to be done about any of this.

Wookey
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 07:58:38 AM »

Good Morning Wookey,
                    Navitron is not a AGW Denier site and is not about to become one.Posting denier material here from such a site knowing full well the reaction it will get from Martin is nothing less than looking for trouble.It also give some credability to the denier gang that we would even waste time debating their ignorance and blindness.
   The People who have been on this site for years know that Martin strives hard to be fair and the rules are there for everyone there to see.
  As for being an "Irrational conspiracist" ,I dont think so.He sees it as it is and he says it as it is.
     "Not sure if there is much to be done about any of this" = Maybe you would like to be a moderator and show us all how to do it.
     There is room for everyone but they have to abide by the rules.
                                                                        Biff
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:35:05 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
pdf27

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 08:28:09 AM »

The People who have been on this site for years know that Martin stives hard to be fair and the rules are there for everyone there to see.
  As for being an "Irrational conspiracist" ,I dont think so.He sees it as it is and he says it as it is.
It would perhaps be helpful if Martin were a little clearer when he's got his moderator hat on and when he doesn't. When discussions stray to nuclear power he is frequently extremely caustic - no problem at all if he's acting in his capacity as a forum member, but I'm frequently left feeling uncomfortable as I'm never quite sure if he's suddenly going to turn into a moderator on me. His tone of voice (in so far as you can have one on the internet) is frequently almost the same as in this thread, without the explicit threats of banning.

Incidentally, I'm a moderator on another forum. Not applying to be one here, just making it clear I understand the difficulties inherent to the job. I'm probably over-sensitive to the issue I described above because we had to get rid of one of the other moderators who couldn't make the divide clear (he is Argentinian and was talking about the Falklands war on a WW2 forum, so it is perhaps understandable!).
martin

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 08:47:22 AM »

Moderating a forum such as this takes time  - a lot of it! Much of it is spent "behind the scenes" dealing with a neverending tide of "spam" of all sorts, and dealing with spurious membership applications - to add to this we have to deal with concerns of the members of the forum, and we have had several complaints about postings of articles lifted direct from a "deniers" website, so have acted in a reasonable manner to halt it.

Warnings have been issued to desist, which have been ignored, so we have little choice but to threaten a ban (why on earth should we waste any more time on it?). Sadly there are those amongst us with a king-size chip on their shoulders about anybody that resembles "authority" in any shape or form, who crawl out of the woodwork with monotonous predictability to have a childish and unwarranted "pop" at me in particular for daring to try to keep order....... whistlie

Whilst on the subject of "conspiracy", nowadays it is impossible to run a forum such as this without at the very least having an eye on the influence of the great god Google - sites such as this are targetted by all sorts of spammers, for products, but also "ideas" in an attempt to get their untruths into Google, so we are faced with a nearly impossible task in maintaining a forum for reasonable discussion, whilst keeping out those whose only motive is to spread their "message", so often we're left with asking ourselves "Is this bloke thick, blatantly trolling, spamming a "denialist" viewpoint, or plain taking the mickey?"

"Moderators hat" firmly on! police

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
mpooley

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 10:39:05 AM »

Well I saw that post and thought 'OK that's interesting always nice to hear about any new research'  and then forgot about it.
Of course had I known that it was 'blasphemy' I wouldn't have read it, of course I will have to pray to 'Greenpeace' for forgiveness and hope my sins won't be held against me.
I honestly thought this forum was about technology. I also thought that I was allowed to have opinions. Sadly not it seems!
although there is one guy who spams constantly with Guardian rubbish can we have him banned too?

It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.” Richard Feynman
martin

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 11:15:05 AM »

hysteria

There is genuine research , and reporting and discussion of that research, there is also a regurgitating of perfectly reasonable research with a decided reporting "slant" to make it fit the agenda of a denialist website - following a spate of several very similarly slanted pieces appearing we said "enough is enough", just as we do for those posting links to "over unity" websites and similar "outer fringe" stuff. We don't stifle genuine debate or dissent (or there's several posters on this forum who'd be out on their ears!), but we have to draw a line somewhere, especially when we get a flurry of complaints over such things as the posting of these articles........

I've said it several times- I post from all sorts of papers, even the Torygraph at times, but sadly the Grauniad is one of the few papers that consistently has articles of interest for a forum dedicated to renewables and sustainability (try trawling the Telegraph, Independent, Guardian and even the Mail every day as I do, you'll soon find the paucity of relevant articles in the others.......)-  everyone is free to post articles or links to them - I don't always agree with the piece of journalism I post, but if it's relevant to our interests, in it goes!

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
mpooley

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 12:06:22 PM »

Yes very funny hysteria hysteria

so lets see, you post at least daily (generally) articles but that's not spamming, because they are genuinely interesting articles written by a journalist  about genetically modified crops (but only those articles which are anti of course) or protestors being prosecuted or not, or Anti nuclear etc etc.
of course i don't have to read them and in the main I don't because I know exactly what you believe in, and it being nonsense I don't wish to waste my time.

But if AlanM or anyone else wants to discuss a scientific paper (Not a biased journo's opinion ) that's OK too but not if he does a lot of it, say every day!
and your reasoning is that it's spam because you have had complaint's from lot's of people who don't like having to make the decision not to read AlanM's posts. And that although it IS genuine scientific research it 'has a SLANT'   wackoteapot

I wonder what the definition of 'slant' is in your mind ? oh yes 'to make it fit the agenda of a denialist website'
so It comes back to what i said. although you 'ALLOW'  "reporting and discussion of research" you don't if it's got a slant? is that right?
so the Gaurdian journo is entirely unbiased and does not put his 'slant' on the scientific papers he reports on.
but a direct link to a scientific paper is slanted because ? ooh lets see : no I can't work that one out  ....... oh yes!  You don't like it!       

got it!  wackoold

Oh and the " I don't always agree with the piece of journalism I post, but if it's relevant to our interests, in it goes!" won't wash because on that basis YOU are posting just the same slanted stuff as AlanM but you are allowed to (by you) and AlanM is not.

why don't you be honest. if It's stuff you don't like and if he does it too much (all in your opinion) then he is first warned to not post anymore and then he will be banned.

I do wonder if enough people were to complain about your spamming you would ban yourself ?

bxman

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »

I will second that and I hope others have the courage to do so as well
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 01:27:35 PM »

Unfortunatly dear Chaps,
                         Neither of your have an inkling on how to be a moderator,and if you were given the job for a day,the forum would crash and you would still be scratching your heads wondering what went wrong for months afterwards,So Please give it a rest and leave it to Martin.
 Mpooley, Moderators are not fair game for your sarcastic edge,
                                                               Biff

mpooley

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 01:58:58 PM »

Unfortunatly dear Chaps,
                         Neither of your have an inkling on how to be a moderator,and if you were given the job for a day,the forum would crash and you would still be scratching your heads wondering what went wrong for months afterwards,So Please give it a rest and leave it to Martin.
 Mpooley, Moderators are not fair game for your sarcastic edge,
                                                               Biff
How do you know how good a moderator I would be?
And Martin can say what he likes about other people but no one has the right to say what they think of him?
I think this whole episode is a disgrace and your post just makes it worse.

I assume you own this website?

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 02:06:38 PM »

I cannot really deny your assumptions,
                             But you are behaving like a paid up member and it would not surprise me in the least ,that you might forget yourself and demand a full refund.There is no question of banning you unless you keep harping on and wasting time.You have had your chance to say your bit,Is there anything else you might like to add,?
                            Biff

martin

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 02:10:44 PM »

Several people have "said what they think about me" - usually from a position of deep ignorance as to what actually has been going on - yes this thread is becoming an  utter disgrace, but not for what you are citing. For the last time, someone posted yet another thread that was obviously designed to openly ignore polite requests to desist from posting material lifted from a blatant "denialist website", and to my mind constituted blatant trolling (despite several warnings and requests to desist) - I didn't "censor" the post, I did point out that it was slanted, and the drawbacks in the claims made for this research.........
The thread is now locked.........
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:13:44 PM by martin » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: