navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Surprise,!!!  (Read 9372 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« on: April 13, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »

Well today I went to view some storage heaters,
                                                                I will shortly be putting up another 1kw x 120v string.The intention is to bypass everything and just fire the pv production straight into the storage heaters.No batteries,No controller,no dump,just a 10amp fuse and straight into the storage heaters.I calculate that I will need 3.5kw of storage heater to use up what ever the PV produces.
    Then I got to see the heaters,they were installed secondhand 45 years ago and were all working right up to the time they were disconnected 2weeks ago.I wrongly assumed that there would be bricks stacked inside round a heater element but when I went to have a proper look I discovered that the 2.4kw ones had 5 seperate zink covered units inside.each unit measured 500mmhigh by 185 x 185mm.each of these units was 340lbs each,so I was slightly puzzled.They can not be removed untill next week but I was given one of the  units to have a look at.
    I took it home(very heavy) and drilled out the 4 rivits which were holding the cap on top,through which two wires fed through. Obviously there is an element in there sandwitched between layers of brick.Imagine my surprise when I opened it and discovered nothing but fine limestone road chippings,filled to the top.I did not empty them out but I put a probe down and I am fairely certain that no bricks live there,just road fine chippings, vomit2. Tomorrow I will investigate further.              Biff                        
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:01:47 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
johnrae

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 10:33:33 PM »

Clever concept - "fluid mass" 
Why did you choose storage heaters over water storage - since in the summer sun the last thing you want is a storage heater pumping out heat during either day or night; unless you build a huge mass of them, wrapped in loads of insulation until winter comes.
Hot water is a "flexible" energy source, capable of being redirected to wherever it's needed, but limited to around 90 deg C, whereas stone can be heated to virtually white hot.
dhaslam

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 11:08:53 PM »

Quite a few  multi  immersion  cylinders come up on  Done Deal and usually  at fairly low prices.     They would take up a good bit of space but easy to use as a  pre-heat cylinder. 

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/4549860

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 11:11:11 PM »

We already have a good water dump load system,
                                             2kw immersions in two tanks.The idea is to redirct the dump to exactly what you described, an insulated mass which can release the heat during the night.The idea is to have this new string switchable from water to storage heater.
       I wonder what the difference in heat would be between the limestone chippings and the bricks,
        Thanks for the link Dhaslam,
                                                                                       Biff
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:19:57 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
dhaslam

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 11:27:04 PM »

Not a lot of difference except that there would be air spaces in the chippings and  that would reduce the  density,  normally limestone would be a little more dense bit slightly lower specific heat than dense brick.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-solids-d_154.html
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/density-solids-d_1265.html

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 11:37:15 PM »

hmm. Is the power input definitely low enough to never risk burning out the circuits?

As the DC might stick the overheat cut out thermostat and prevent it from working. Worth testing it to be sure I'd have thought, assuming it's just a bog standard storage heater.

at home | 80 tubes, 2 tanks direct PV powered SWH + Navitron supplied PV 5 x Yingli 185Wp solar panels
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 11:47:52 PM »

If I put it through the controller it will have a ceiling of 141vdc max if I send it direct with a little inline 10amp fuse it could soar up to 200vdc,
                                                             Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »

Biff, this is turning into one of the longest-drawn-out surprises ever. What's happening?
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »

I got involved with a load of shelving stann,
                                         Im about to post some pics,,,,hopefully facepalm
                                                                             Biff

dickster

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »

Any asbestos?
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 10:19:33 AM »

Hopefully not, Shocked
            Biff

the blacksmith

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 08:59:19 AM »

Biff,

I know this is an old thread, but did you ever connect up the storage heaters?

I've just acquired 4 heaters, not sure what to do with them.

4.2kw & 4.1kw pv array+ immersun
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »

Good morning Blacksmith,
                      Nope,!, never went any farther with the storage heaters. I do have one which I sometimes connect up,approx 500watt but I never got to hang around long enough to test it properly.
  Camillitech uses storage heaters for dump loads, (I think). I depend on dc immersions to heat our water and keep our Turbine,etc under control.
                                                                                     Biff

the blacksmith

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 06:13:35 PM »

biff, i did wonder,  too many other projects on the go if your anything like me.......

4.2kw & 4.1kw pv array+ immersun
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 07:30:28 PM »

Yes, Indeed blacksmith,
                          You can only do so much. In another few months, I will be starting my duel PMG wind turbine. I have most of the gear ready to assemble but the big thing is the Yaw and the 6 slip rings and brushes. However, I recon I will be able to manage it. Until then, I am steadily getting my most pressing jobs done leaving the way clear for a couple of months of turbine excitement - garden.
                                                                  Biff

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: