navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The NEW 2kw Double axis PV Solar Tracker, ?  (Read 8071 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 11:05:11 AM »

Its all a learning curve Mart,
                          My 1kw mobile array can be repositioned to some 12yards in given directions.I do have very high pines.The wind turbine tower does cast a problem shadow,"Der Shed" is the only building that dont have a problem shadow.
       I only learn these things as I go along.The difference between mid winter and mid summer regarding the path of the sun is quite dramatic here and I have not actually made up my mind where to finally locate our mobile array.There seems to be only one spot that fits the bill but it is in the most exposted position to strong winds.I am still trying to work it out. Roll Eyes
                                                                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
clockmanFR

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 11:10:19 AM »

Hi folks, Its sunny outside so I will be brief as I need to get my garden machine shed roof on!

Hi Mart, digression no problem its good to talk.  
Rising and falling accumulator, 'The shed', and a 2kw tracker in your back garden, absolutely ruddy fantastic!!! extrahappy extrahappy but seriously I like your objective view on things PV.

Stephendv, Firstly, "PVGIS simulation " well as you are probably aware I treat simulations with caution. The Reason, Technology moves flipping fast, tracker sense circuits are getting real efficient, but the PV panels themselves have been marching ever forward and with trackers always pointed DIRECTLY at the sun.........

30 years ago I had, still have, some 200w of amorphous that worked well in ambient light, that is until about 6 years ago when the new type of Mono came on the market, still not as good as amorphous in ambient light but far better than the Poly and Mono from 10 years ago, (all still producing except the 11 year old poly which gave up 6 years ago).

So for me the modern Mono panels are the 'dogs youknowwhat'.
With my 3kw worth of trackers with 3 year old Sharpe Mono panels I get, using MPPT, on the grimmest of days, 200w in the morning which climbs to 500w and then subsides as the day passes.
I now have 2.25kw worth of the latest Yingli panels and I am hoping for better results in ambient light.

Scale down to 600w, No not really, as I would need to totally re-design everything. Remember I have done this with minum material use, every joint needs every joint principal.

24v dc come from 2 of my 12v batts. I just run a 24v live + 6mm/2 cable from my power shed to the trackers, return -Negative is common to the Tracker cables.

The reason I have shown the DC power from the trackers on my Block diagram is because the DC fuses, Outback RCB,s, are in the control box at the power shed 110m away, while the DC isolator is actually on the Tracker itself. See pick.

Hi oliver, Fair point about Tracker verses fixed. But please see my comment above about ambient light, get allot of that here. And something I now consider now that Mono panels have moved on, especially with the new MPPT battery charging systems thet take every last drop of juice above charging rate for a 48v system and charge that system.
 I always connect up the PV panel strings to maximum what the controller can handle, although with the 2kw I am experimenting with an additional 250w panel extension for the tracker that can be easily removed, to get the highest volts.

Tristar MPPT controllers max out at 150v DC in, (actually with temp compensation and warnings its about 120v), while 'Outback lite' can take 200v DC in, which is what I will advise with my 2kw tracker design. Problem is I have a tristar mppt, and to get a Outback lite Mppt will cost me just over 500.... facepalm

Mart, My trackers are just over 5 meters high in winter, in summer they are tipped back, 3 meter high pivot point, so local normal shading, hedge fencing etc, is minimum, that was a deliberate design so my sheep would not get at the panels and I can sit on mower underneath.
Regards lithium I await the charging systems to be suitable for us folk, but the price is still expensive, short term. Me I will potter over to UK next week and pick up another 180ah to add to my 1100ah 48v batts (all mine are gel or SLA types) I select carefully but cost will be about 360.

Any way, things march on so all, do "good ponder"..

* P6170206a.JPG (108.64 KB, 369x276 - viewed 676 times.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:15:10 AM by clockmanFR » Logged

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 01:11:47 PM »

Hi C/M,
        Forklifts,forklifts forklifts batterieeeeees,everytime.
       I had bank of 20agm,s,then I had bank of 20 sla,s and finally over 2 ton of forklift batts, extrahappy
       The agm,s could never drive the washing machine, the Yousa sla,s would get hammered trying to drive the wasing machine but the forklifts dont give a hoot about the washing machine,they can take the stick.
         If you can,look out for a set of forklift batts,they are in a different league and will make you a very happy man.
                                                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 01:19:51 PM »

What ho CM
What can one say other than fantastic job.
Loved the echo renovate site been before but now better than ever.
Interesting posts on static v mobile.
Hearty congratulations to you and Mrs CM.
Now don't rest on your laurels get that shed roof on extrahappy

Kidwelly South Wales
the blacksmith

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 07:39:44 PM »

Very impressive clockman.

M , If you went down the route of fixed system would it not be a lot better  having your arrays at different orientations.

I can't see the point of having 6 kw fixed, (forget the fit for a minute) we are all talking about use able energy.

Surely if you can not/don't want to go the tracker route you would be better having 1kw east, 1kw se, 2kw south,  1kw sw & 1kw west, or there about?

If I had the room, and didn't fear the dno this would be my set up, also if I had the cash of course......

4.2kw & 4.1kw pv array+ immersun
stephendv

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 07:59:14 AM »

Surely if you can not/don't want to go the tracker route you would be better having 1kw east, 1kw se, 2kw south,  1kw sw & 1kw west, or there about?

Depends on whether it's off-grid or on-grid.  For on-grid, you want maximum kWh/year and for that a single south facing array generates more.
For off-grid, you'll have to look at the consumption in summer vs. winter and also the time of day consumption in those months.  Doing a PVGIS simulation of 2kW south vs. 1kW SE + 1kW SW shoes that in January in London the south array generates 14% more energy during the day, but it'll start generating it slightly later in the day than the split array.  Unfortunately pvgis doesn't show hourly generation.
In July the south facing array would generate only 3% more than the split array and the difference of when it produces it will be more pronounced than in winter.

So splitting the array will depend on when you need the energy.  For a system that struggles to get through a winter day then maximum kWh/day would be the best bet, so purely south facing.  But for a system with constant, but not very big loads during a summer day (e.g. air conditioning left on all day), then a split system might be better.

http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com
2.8kW PV, SMA Sunny Island 5048, 5 PzS 700 battery bank, stinky diesel.
clockmanFR

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 10:15:45 AM »

Hi Biff, Well that's a shock, "I do have very high pines" and there's me thinking your environment was a waste land on a bog!.

Regards, batteries. We have started on grid slowly pulling away from the Grid supplier EDF. Its been a slow learning curve and a gentle cost expenditure. For 1200ah GEL/SLA very carefully selected H/duty types, and heavy Weight, has cost us 1900.
Yes, we are saving for a New 1200ah forklift battery bank, but at 3200 its a slow haul. But we are now better informed about power storage so can properly select and properly maintain FLA (flooded Lead Acid) batts.

Had a long chat with the Mrs yesterday evening in the garden machinery & office der-shed, its half covered now, She managed a 1600 bonus this year, so we concluded that we start another battery storage and power station in my new shed.
 On the end of the der-shed is a south facing 22 meter long by 2.5m high wall. see pic.

We therefore plan to set up a static fixed panel arrangement on this wall. And use my in stock Tristar MPPT controller for the charging of the new batts. Mrs would like some sort of low heating in the next door conservatory over the cold winter period, so I can set these buildings up as off grid etc.

So in a few days I will visit NAVITRON HQ, (they are only 25 miles away from my UK mini house), for some 12m of PV panel rails, clips and brackets and a few more 250w PV Panels, visit a battery stockist and all my over contacts for stuff.

And finally, mostly because of the "BOOK" the  genuflectFine genuflect Mrs has allowed me to purchase an OUTBACK CLASSIC LITE 200 controller  extrahappy, "If you say you should have a Outback Lite 200 then you should do what you preach".

The controller in the new der-shed has data outputs etc, so should be able to give very accurate DATA on PV, Tracker verses fixed.

Pic, The South facing wall will have fixed panels attached at the maximum best angle, above sheep height, the der-shed is behind the Tracker nearest the wall. NB, got a few jobs on at present, so this will get done sometime in the Autumn.

* P6090189a.JPG (90.78 KB, 369x276 - viewed 516 times.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:17:44 AM by clockmanFR » Logged

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: