navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tablet sounds..........  (Read 3522 times)
martin

« on: May 27, 2013, 09:59:49 AM »

I'm still fettling a small touring caravan, and rather like the idea of some decent sounds for when I'm away from home, to which end I've fitted a rather nice Alpine 95 watts a channel amplifier driving a couple of Wharfedale Diamond speakers - I'm getting a very reasonable sound out of it when fed from a netbook, except that if I run the computer powered by a switch mode power supply, there's some rather annoying background interference in the quiet bits (curable by unplugging the power supply and running off the interior batteries).........This has got me wondering - the netbook draws some 32 watts from the 12v supply, so the question is, would one of the new el cheapo tablets do the trick, use less power, and do the job? (keep seeing ads for sub-40 jobs these days running Android) - this sort of thing (which has been offered for considerably less from time to time) - http://www.ebuyer.com/494729-busbi-tablet-pc-111019

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:52:23 AM »

Martin good morning to you,

A couple of thoughts  2 thoughts in one morning must be a record

1. I have a chum who was after a 'cheap' tablet he told me after much research that
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pipo-S1-Capacitive-Accelerator-Compatible/dp/B00A8KZ1LU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365010360&sr=8-2
offers the best bangs for bucks, you could probably find cheaper if you shopped around.

2. If you just want to listen to music how about a cheap mp3 player you can buy really cheap on flea bay or amazon.  A simple interconnect from the mp3 headphone socket to the back of you amp perhaps the aux  or tuner input and away you go, my old phillips mp3 runs this way for a full days work between charges.  I love audio books whist I am pottering away.

tod

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
knighty

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »

at 32watts a tablet will run... forever from your 12v house batteries :-)
Justme

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »

I would guess you could make much larger energy savings on the amp front than the sound source.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
martin

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »

I would guess you could make much larger energy savings on the amp front than the sound source.
- funnily enough, I wondered about that so put an ammeter on the amp - at 1 amp it's surprisingly loud and fruity, at 2 or 3 it's party level! (Its only a 13 foot caravan) ralph
I had though of the cheap MP3 player route, but thought that if I was spending money I could go for a tablet (ideally one that'd play from an exterior HDD).......

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
AlanIOW

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 06:43:05 PM »

We had one of those cheapo Android 7" Tablets, about 100 a year ago, about 70ish now. The tablet was fantastic value and does most things quite well, but and quite a big BUT is the battery life is appalling when playing music, but what is worse is that when the thing is charging everything especially the touch screen becomes very unresponsive and erratic. We ended up getting a Google Nexus 7 for 159 which is just better all round, there is even a docking cradle now that has charging and audio ports, I think. The Nexus however does not have any Micro SD card slot for additional storage, although there is a 32Gb version at 199.

Alan

Panasonic 12kW T-Cap ASHP, 3.96kWp, 22 Sharp NU-180 Panels, Sunny Boy 4000TL, 15 Panels SSE, 7 Panels SSW, all 18 Degree Slope. Location - Isle of Wight. Live output can be seen here; http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=2476&sid=1872
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:08:16 PM »

We have 32 GB version  nexus you can also put up to 20000 mp3 tracks on the cloud for free but you would have to be in  a WiFi hotspot to listen.  It just seemed to be worth the extra dosh would rather buy just the once, ereader at the same time.  Main reason for purchase.  Different level of expenditure than simple music player. Depends on what you want.
For general listening we use iPod interconnect to HiFi  but mp3 player gives more than satisfactory results, for very little cash.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: