navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Android tablet - is it me?  (Read 10440 times)
martin

« on: May 29, 2013, 09:41:17 AM »

Further on the quest for caravan sounds, I spotted a very good deal in my local Co-op for an Android tablet (An Acer Iconia B1) for what boiled down to £79 with cashback, and I reckoned that would do my music needs in the caravan a treat (feeding a car amp), and would be perfect for the odd bit of emailing or internetting whilst on tour. So I got it home, fired it up, and was gratified to find it seamlessly grabbed the wifi connection - from which point it all started going downhill.......... first of all you are required to spend ages "registering" with the great god Google (what brand of lavatory paper did your paternal grandfather prefer?)
Having got that over and done with, you then find "suggestions" of albums appearing on screen, and no apparent way of getting rid of them - a quick squint at the "quick start" guide gives no illumination, so you are sent on a wild goose chase round Acer's site, looking for the manual......By this point I'd become so fed up with the totally unintuitive tablet that I ended up downloading it onto my (Linux Mint) computer - despite a great deal of wasted time, I still can't get rid of the damned album adverts, even with the help of the manual..... fume
So rather than resorting to the hammer, I decided to try something else, and decided to bung some MP3s onto it so I could wander down to the caravan and see how it'd work in practice....... Bad move! Plugged the damn  thing into my main (Mint) computer, and find that it isn't "recognised", and following some Googling discover that Mint doesn't like speaking to Androids, and would entail lots of faffing with the terminal to achieve it, or the downloading of some programme that allows data transfer using browsers - so I downloaded it, and found it was a "teaser" for a "pay" programme, so decided on desperate measures - fire up the laptop that still has a partition with Wndoze XP2 on it (the literature said "it'll just work with Windows") - of course, it didn't! So I downloaded the recommended software from Acer, and started to install it - halfway through, it aborts, demanding that you connect the tablet (which IS connected). Having tried every permutation, it just wasn't going to play, so very late last night come to an inescapable conclusion - "you're going back!" (I'm returning it later this morning as "faulty"), although I suspect it's just cr*p.......

Along the way I obviously "played" with my new toy and was singularly unamazed, found it deeply unintuitive, and downright annoying - blasted album ads kept popping up, and for some odd reason a Google search thingy kept popping up unbidden, and I still haven't found an easy way of getting rid of it........primal scream therapy time! So is it just me, or are Android tablets more than a bit rubbish?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:53:59 AM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 10:13:59 AM »

You obviously have a lot more patience than I have,there is no doubt about it.
                       My son bought me my very first PC. I would come home in the evening from work and boot up and try and grasp the basics.
 After about a month of this slogging I ran up against a stone wall.I remember it was something simple but the bally thing would just revert back to nothing.My son was watching me from the other side of the room.I was getting more exasperated till finally I leaped up,ripped the keyboard off the pc jumped up like a chimp and whanged the keyboard of the floor.
           Well it flew to smithereens,I could not believe there were so many little bits and pieces in a key board not only that I could not believe how stupid and foolish I had been.I look around to see where my son was and found him out in the back garden,tears in his eyes and doubled over with the laughing.We was still finding little copper washers belonging to that keyboard months after that and my son would hold a piece up and ask.
      "Are you sure you dont need this bit"?
                                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
garethpuk

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:23:47 AM »

The Android operating system works well, its the cheap tablet part that usually results in crappy hardware. I suspect that and some poor Acer software have caused all your problems!

I recken any tablet that's less than £200 is probably cheap for a reason.
smegal

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »

The Android operating system works well, its the cheap tablet part that usually results in crappy hardware. I suspect that and some poor Acer software have caused all your problems!

I recken any tablet that's less than £200 is probably cheap for a reason.

From my experience of Acer. I think that you may be correct. It may be worth seeing if there are ways to remove some of the software and install a music player that doesn't have ads.

It also sounds that you have been unfortunate with the different systems not talking to each other. Hopefully you'll get it sorted relatively easily.

When youíre thirsty, itís too late to dig a well. - Unknown
martin

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 10:57:51 AM »

Had a word to the Coop HQ, the store should give me a full refund on it as "faulty".......Really can't be stuffed to waste any more time on it (it's confirmed my initial view of touchscreen systems, which was not favourable)...... whistlie

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
mespilus

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 11:22:34 AM »

I think you, (and the CoOp), were a little duped.

Acer wanted to compete with the no-brands,
and assumed they could bundle a load of bloatware
and maybe get a secondayr earnings stream from whatever media you bought.

We have an Ainol 7, (with the elvish custom rom), a couple of years old now,
but the microSD slot alows us to load up whatever media we like in the laptop.

I think we are now two generations behind the latest Ainol
and I have no idea of the current build quality,
but a quick search will find the latest device
and plentiful user comments.

Now in the HS2 blight zone
clivejo

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 12:04:08 PM »

I'm afraid after repairing computers branded as Acer I would not recommend the brand to anyone, in fact I wouldnt touch one with a barge pole.  They use cheap components from god knows where!!  The drivers are buggy and not supported.  I would think this is partly your problem as Linux only tends to support hardware with open source or well behaved with current standards.

The ads are probably a deal to make up for the cheap price tag.  Cant really blame Acer for that! There was a time when even Windows came pre-installed with 3rd party software like the AOL client.  All teasers and demos so that you would get hooked and end up paying for it!  

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
martin

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 12:17:19 PM »

Sorted! - it went back from whence it came - full refund, no quibbles! extrahappy

Never mind, it's confirmed my earlier dislike of touch screens, and I now know that me and Android do not get on (seems even more control-freakish than bally Windoze)

marcus

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »

I feel I need to stickup for acer a bit here; there's no denying they're cheap and that does show through sooner or later, but I'm using an Acer laptop (as I type) that I bought many years ago (can't remember when, but it's win XP and it was shortly before then next windows version came out), and, yes, one or two of the buttons are getting a little temperamental (the mousepad buttons), but it is still working.

By contrast an Apple macbook I've got (which is newer and much less used/abused) has developed several faults including keyboard faliure (requiring a new keyboard), USB faliue (would require a new motherboard to repair), the battery's dead, and the mains power supply is dead, and the backlight of the screen has an intermittent connection.

Maybe I've just been unusually lucky with my Acer and unlucky with the mac, but, needless to say, I won't be buying another (cr)apple, and I could buy several replacement acers for the price of one new mac.
titan

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 01:15:30 PM »

Sorted! - it went back from whence it came - full refund, no quibbles! extrahappy

Never mind, it's confirmed my earlier dislike of touch screens, and I now know that me and Android do not get on (seems even more control-freakish than bally Windoze)

Ironical the vanilla Android flavour from Google is much better than any of the hardware sellers versions who add their own layer full of garbage. You may have been able to root it and put a modified version on such as cyanogen mod, which I did with my HTC phone. The file transfer problem is because from Ice cream sandwich  USB mass storage is no longer used and MPT is the file transfer method. You could use the Airdroid app (free) to transfer files using your wifi or Google drive ( free) just upload from your PC ( drag and drop) and download to your Android device, simple.
martin

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »

Airdroid is the thing I downloaded - it's "teaserware" with a 100mb limit before you have to pay, which in the context of several gigs of mp3s is not a lot... and having been running Linux for some 6 years, I'm now allergic to paying for software (how quaint and 20th century....... Grin)

clivejo

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 02:13:12 PM »

ahhh Martin your too stuck in your ways!  Your like the old guys who said the mouse would never catch on!   

Get a decent tablet and give it a chance!!  They are great for reading(e-books), checking emails and the small boring jobs tablets make it so much easier.  Of course you shouldnt expect to move everything to a tablet, you still need a full size keyboard and large screen for some things.

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 03:12:08 PM »

At least he did not whang it off the floor Clive, whistlie
                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
titan

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 04:29:06 PM »

Airdroid is the thing I downloaded - it's "teaserware" with a 100mb limit before you have to pay, which in the context of several gigs of mp3s is not a lot..and having been running Linux for some 6 years

Airdroid is rated at 4.8 ( from 5) on the play site which would seem to indicate a well regarded app.  The free app  works fine for me ( and just about everyone else)  it transfers files between my pc and phone, using my wifi no adverts, no limits. I first saw it recommended on a Linux forum. According to the spec sheet the Acer Iconia Tab B1-  can have a micro SD card up to 32GB it would probably quicker to transfer "several gigs of mp3s" using a card reader.
martin

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 05:19:13 PM »

Is it perhaps an Acer thing? - it was definitely limited to 100mb.....
All I wanted to do was to use a simple cable connection to add mp3s, and am really somewhat at at a loss to understand why it's so blooming difficult.......
In retrospect, I think I've had a narrow squeak as I really couldn't get to grips with the interface at all (I had a touch screen mobile at one point, and soon gratefully returned to a keyboard). At one point I was on the Acer site trying to press one of three buttons on a page - however hard I tried, it resolutely refused to allow me to click the one I needed - I was tapping, stabbing and everything I could think of - it just didn't want to know, and reduced me to a gibbering wreck "work you motherf***ing thing!!!" - Perhaps Clivejo is right, I may be set in my ways, and prefer not to need a large hammer at hand when computing..... Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: