navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Android tablet - is it me?  (Read 10585 times)
clivejo

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 06:25:55 PM »

At least he did not whang it off the floor Clive, whistlie
                                      Biff

I have never whanged anything off the floor, it jumped out of my hand and accidentally fell after I called it some rude words!  Probably the shock of hearing me curse.

Now the hammer thing, that was on purpose!! And boy did I get a lot of pleasure from it!   hysteria

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 06:50:01 PM »

Martin use a Google nexus, no problems. Good ereader  up to20,000 tracks from your music collection stored free on the cloud, WiFi to date has worked faultlessly no problems with adverts.  All on android. I guess you just had a bum bit of kit.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
wookey

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 03:07:08 AM »

Martin. Pick a tablet that is supported by cyanogenmod. That way you don't have to register with the google mothership before you can do anything.

Or you could use a nexus 7 and install ubuntu on it, but as you're no fan of unity you might not enjoy that (unity on a touch screen is lot less annoying than unity on a desktop). It's also rather 'not finished yet' at this stage, but is a good way of getting 'proper linux' on a tablet. Sailfish from Jolla, Firefox OS, and Plasma Active (device list here: http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Devices ) are all other ways of getting a real linux tablet. Things are in the process of getting very interesting.

Wookey
Quakered

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 11:00:58 AM »

ďThere is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey.

Get an iPad!

Patrick

No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford

3.2kw PV and Tesla Powerwall
Jaguar I Pace
martin

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »

Not with the proverbial ten foot bargepole! Firstly it's an Apple product, produced in atrocious conditions, sold at a ludicrously inflated price, and locking you into being a consumer of Apple branded stuff (like music). I've come to the conclusion that my initial response to touch screens and tablets was correct - how daft to go shoving your grubby mitts all over a screen through which you are trying to peer.........
Should I ever venture into tablet land again, it will probably be in the directions suggested by Wookey - I resent being locked into some control freak arrangement, whether it's Microsoft, Apple or nowadays Google - I've probably been spoilt by years of using Linux - it "just does it", gets out of the bloody way and lets me get on wtih whatever I'm sitting at a compouter for,  and above all, is not forever trying to flog me stuff!

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 11:53:46 AM »

So then MP3 player ? fingers crossed!

martin

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 02:00:36 PM »

Awaiting delivery!....... Grin

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 02:14:27 PM »

extrahappy extrahappy extrahappy

clivejo

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 04:19:17 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that my initial response to touch screens and tablets was correct - how daft to go shoving your grubby mitts all over a screen through which you are trying to peer.........

Its good to go into it with an open mind  hysteria

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
wookey

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 11:54:07 PM »

Heh. Martin gets it.

At least on this subject we are in agreement :-)

Wookey
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: