navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12kw Woodwarm  (Read 6799 times)
mr smith

« on: July 29, 2013, 08:51:20 PM »

We are finally rid of the oil extrahappy 12kw woodwarm with all the boilers  Smiley roll on winter fight

ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:19:33 PM »

Nice job , -how did you keep the room so clean cutting into the fireplace ?
and  you really lit a fire that big this weather ! Cry  nearest I can find to a sweat smily!
Rgds George.
mr smith

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:30:03 PM »

Cheers George.

Fireplace was opened up in stages shown in pictures. The coal grate was set in a lump of concrete and all the brick courses were tied in with screws, it was a real mission to rip out!

I removed most of the valuables from the room and covered the rest in dust sheets. The door was sealed with old towels at the bottom and I removed the waste via the window. After angle grinding I could not see my own hand held out in front of me so quite a fews hours of cleaning before the other half could see the room!

First test firing was a few days ago when it was 30deg! Not pleasant with all the rads cooking in that heat! chocolateteapot

kev

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 11:30:24 PM »

Similar to our woodwarm but I guess yours has a ducted air supply, but how do you empty the ashes? I can't see a door.

With ours I find the primary air lever has two settings,  flat out - close it down a bit, still roaring - close down a bit more, still too fast - close a bit more, ooh - it's now just smouldering!

Hope you have it in a good size room as it will chuck a lot of heat into the room as it heats water.

You will want an Ecofan next.

Regards, Kev
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 07:03:35 AM »

Cracking job.

Kidwelly South Wales
Bodidly

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 07:43:49 AM »

Great choice of stove and great install.

I presume it's a Wildwood version. My folks have a 12kw Woodwarm and it is the best stove I have ever used or seen in action.

mr smith

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 11:30:47 PM »

Cheers for the praise, it is a wildwood.

It is in a small room unfortunately Kev but it was the only room that has a chimney. I am a little worried about cooking that room to heat the rest of the house but it does have all the saddle and roof boilers so we will see. Spec says 2.6kw to the room and the room could take 4.5kw so with the door permanently open we should be OK.

I am thinking about if I should insulate and box the pipes in but they do have the high and low states on them and a junction box. Is this a good idea? I assume it would remove more heat from the room but is it safe to box the stats in as they would get super hot?   
JDT

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 12:52:50 PM »

We have one of these! Really good stove. Well made, efficient, very controllable.

Been using it for 2 winters now. We have the simple back boiler option (not the wrap-around). Think its rated at about 2kW. Heats up the water tank (180l) in about 2-3 hours.

Good choice!

kev

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 10:22:08 AM »

I have a woodwarm fireview with the side and back boilers, don't have any stats or controls on mine just let it pour heat into the heatstore.

Yeah a lagged sensor box could get a bit too hot and it is difficult to make any boxing in/insulation look pretty and the copper pipes look fine.

If I could go back in time I would fit some sort of duct to take the hot air from above the stove and push it to the other end of the house.

Kev
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 10:32:02 AM »

Nice neat job Mr Smith,
                I hope it gives you years of good service, fingers crossed!
                                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Greenbeast

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 11:00:46 PM »

nice job!

yeah grinding/cutting brickwork indoors is not fun! I did of job of it before i bought a full positive pressure respirator for smithing, it was not nice with disposable face masks, rubbish googles, ear defenders and a carrier bag over my hair, ha ha!
gravyminer

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 06:59:16 PM »

I have a woodwarm fireview with the side and back boilers, don't have any stats or controls on mine just let it pour heat into the heatstore.

Yeah a lagged sensor box could get a bit too hot and it is difficult to make any boxing in/insulation look pretty and the copper pipes look fine.

If I could go back in time I would fit some sort of duct to take the hot air from above the stove and push it to the other end of the house.

How do you transfer this much heat into your heatstore Kev ?
How big is the heatstore ?
and do you ever get kettling or boiling conditions ?

gravyminer
kev

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 08:33:24 PM »

Just convects up to the heatstore upstairs no pumps or valves in the (28mm) pipes, the Heatstore is 180ltr if I remember right not really big enough but the biggest we could fit in the airing cupboard - not at home now so can't check.
The only time I get a bubbling noise is if I open the bottom door to get it going and forget to close it.
Kev
mr smith

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 06:46:42 PM »

Update!

Cant believe its been 7 years!

First off running a 12w boiler is not easy. I am a landscaper and 25% of my business is tree surgery and it is still tricky to find fuel.

Running 9 rads and a hot water tank takes a quite a few logs! It keeps me fit and virtually carbon neutral so I'm happy but it is hard work.

I have fitted an electric back up boiler for emergencies and when I am away and the other half/kids need a top up.

When the boiler dies I will probably exchange the stove for a dry one and use the wet system as an electric back up.

Shout me if you have any questions on solid fuel as I have a good 15 years experience in 3 house now so would be happy to help if I can  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: