navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiring strings of batteries  (Read 6137 times)
clivejo

« on: July 31, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »

I have a number of batteries (from the Bedford CF Van) which are still good and holding charge.  I want to build a couple of banks of 48v.  The batteries are 6v each and the positive terminal moves from top to bottom on each battery (so the fly leads are short).  I've had to cut the fly leads off and now need to reconnect them somehow.  I was thinking of doubling up each battery(2 x 6v wired together in parallel) and then also in series, is this a good or bad idea?  
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:32:55 PM by clivejo » Logged

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 05:41:39 PM »

Hello Clive,
            There is an online link that gives you the exact best way to wire up batteries.Paul(camillitech) has it at his fingertips or maybe someone else can find it.Once you see the right way then you will understand.It is not quite straightforward at all and it depends on how many batteries you want to wire up as well.You will need groups of 8 in series to get 48volt and if you have 24 batteries you will perhaps be better to rack them,Bringing each 48 volt group out to the front with equal wire lengths and onto common busbars of positive and negative into which you conect everything.This means that all the wires coming from the batts are of equal lengths and that they charge and discharge equally.I think that it is but either Justme or Paul will keep us right.
                                                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
JohnS

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 06:00:02 PM »

This is it.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

John

2.1kWp solar PV
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 06:11:48 PM »

Yup JohnS,
           Thats it exactly. Thanks.
  Clive                     
              I have always used method 3 and found it good for the batts,Maybe some one else might have a different idea because you are stringing 8 instead of 4 in series but I still think that would be the best way forward.
                                                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
clivejo

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »

Is linking the two banks together a good or bad idea?

* bat-bank.gif (2.42 KB, 185x367 - viewed 276 times.)

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 07:06:53 PM »

You must be planning an 84 volt system Clive,
                       Is that not a bit unusual,?
                                         Biff

clivejo

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 07:12:06 PM »

The cells are 6v each, its 48volts.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 07:20:57 PM »

Oh I know,! Clive,
                     But you have two - one end and two + the other end and they only way you are going to get life out of that lot id to connect diagonally right across the lot from corner to corner leaving two lemmons all alone. 96 - 12 =84

Tinbum

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 07:26:40 PM »

Don't you link the 2 - at the one end and link the 2 + at the other which gives the 48v ?

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »

Start off with two rows of 4.
                               The first row is 4 deep facing you and the - is on the left to very front,Now you do the row in series and end up with the + at the very back,on the left ,Now start another row to the right of that row with the - tight close to the + at the back and then start working forward untill you are level with the front and you will have an -  at the front on the right and a + at the front beside it on the left.
              You could build a small platform over the first set to support the second set on top and do exactly the same.Then connect your _s on the front right and + on the front left with a copper bar.measure the distance between the two top and bottom connections and tap into the half way points  between the two sets,top and bottom.This will give you equal charge and discharge.Top should read 48v,same as bottom
                 But someone needs to check this and see that its right.Before you connect up anything put the volt meter across the terminals.
                                               Biff
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:52:14 PM by biff » Logged

clivejo

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 07:41:04 PM »

Yes, The take off would be the two positive terminals at the top, and the two negative terminals at the bottom.  What Iím asking is if it is a wise idea to connect the two strings together in the middle?

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »

You guys are right,each line still stays 6volt,,,h,mmmm
             I think the way I set it up in two layers will give you a better return and take up a lot less room using a lot less wire.
                                  Biff
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:53:17 PM by biff » Logged

Tinbum

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »

Yes, The take off would be the two positive terminals at the top, and the two negative terminals at the bottom.  What Iím asking is if it is a wise idea to connect the two strings together in the middle?

I think it is better practice not to have batteries in series and parallel but to have larger batteries in series- but your working with what you have.
I understood a maximum of 3 sets of batteries in parallel is recommended. Interconnecting the batteries, as you have done, within the strings is also advisable.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 08:03:34 PM »

Well ok,
           Take your battery diagram Clive, Take the verticle row of 8 on the left.diconnect all the central connection and then move up 4 batteries.
           Catch the very top battery and swing it right round untill it comes down level with the batery on the bottom,so now you have two rows of 4 with poles nice and handy for connection.This is 48volt with the minimum of fuss on the smallest footprint.
                                                                 Biff

clivejo

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 08:36:31 PM »

Where would I get or make terminals for 26mm posts?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: