navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suns magnetic field flipping  (Read 3220 times)
AlanM

« on: August 06, 2013, 09:53:39 AM »

August 5, 2013:  Something big is about to happen on the sun.  According to measurements from NASA-supported observatories, the sun's vast magnetic field is about to flip.

"It looks like we're no more than 3 to 4 months away from a complete field reversal," says solar physicist Todd Hoeksema of Stanford University. "This change will have ripple effects throughout the solar system."

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/05aug_fieldflip/
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »

Oh great. Now everyone is going to have to turn all their PV panels upside down.    ballspin

Volunteer moderator
dan_b

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 10:40:39 AM »

Wow. The earth's field is also due to flip as well which might mess a few things up.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
martin

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »

flipping marvellous! hysteria

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »

I knew it,
           I got out of bed this morning and sunnenly it hit me.I was right way up at last. genuflect
                                                                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 02:21:26 PM »

Will the week run backwards, and the telly show new programmes rather than repeats. fingers crossed!
martin

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 02:25:58 PM »

Will the Sun's totty be bottomless? whistlie

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
skyewright

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 02:36:09 PM »

August 5, 2013:  Something big is about to happen on the sun.  According to measurements from NASA-supported observatories, the sun's vast magnetic field is about to flip.
Which sounds a bit less dramatic when you read...
The sun's magnetic field changes polarity approximately every 11 years...have been tracking the sun's polar magnetism since 1976, and they have recorded three grand reversals—with a fourth in the offing.
So yes it's "big" (as is just about anything to do with the sun) but it's also neither unexpected nor unprecedented.

but hey it proviked some of the humorous responses, so Grin too.  Smiley

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40°, WSW, Lat 57° 9' (Isle of Skye)
Ivan

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 12:09:09 AM »

I think they've tried to explain something complicated by replacing it with complete nonsense. The Sun doesn't have a North and South pole.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 10:05:50 AM »

But what happens to page 3  wackoold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: