navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrading from 48vDc to 120vDc, Pro's and Con's?  (Read 8024 times)
camillitech

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2013, 06:16:14 PM »

Somewhere on our new ship is an inverter that converts 400vdc into 230vac for the transitional lighting.

Need to find that tomorrow and see what it's like http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2013/08/10/it-is-very-big/

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
clockmanFR

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 08:08:49 AM »

Tinbum, No doubt about it, Morningstar MPPT's SHOULD say that the working voltage is 120vDc input and certainly not 150vdc max.
And even at 120vDc without the battery temp sensor connected all hell breaks loose, and the Morningstar say's OVERVOLTAGE, Fault, Batt temp sence, Auto disconnect, Help!  sh*tfan.

Talking of loose, Er Paul what happens if you have some rough weather and the boat starts doing some slamming, does those nice 100ah 6v Yuasa's start jumping overboard!. Or do they pound that glassfibre enclosure to bits?

Its been a long time since skippering anything, but that lot on deck? and not secure, look like a accident waiting to happen. Or maybe its for the captains biccy warmer thingy.  hysteria

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
stephendv

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 08:11:14 AM »

But honestly, Charging/controllers & Inverters seem pretty thin on the ground at 120vDc.

Biffs Symentry Inverter sounds okay, any others you know off Biff? 

There is this: http://www.ingeteam.com/en-us/energy/photovoltaic-energy/p15_24_44/ingecon-ems-home.aspx  which supports up to 250Vdc for some models.  Supports full AC coupling with their own brand PV and wind inverters.  It's a quality brand that you mostly see used in large PV farms; comes with 5 years warranty standard + 25 year optional extra.

http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com
2.8kW PV, SMA Sunny Island 5048, 5 PzS 700 battery bank, stinky diesel.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 09:19:01 AM »

I did not consider 2kw x 120vdc controllers to be a problem.
                                  If I went above 2kw I just added another Chinese 2kw hybrid controller to the system.I know that mine says that the solar input had a max of 600watt but because I did not have any wind turbine input I guessed that I could route through each controller and load each controller way above 600watt to its max and not worry about it.If I had any doubts,then I just connected any extra controller to the battery and connected the extra solar array output direct to the battery,bypassed the big 2kw resistors and power another immersion with its dump excess.
  It was the simplist way possible.It also meant that I did not have my eggs all in one basket.
 I will get the details of the other 120v UPS shortly.The Symmetra really is the best machine you could lay your hands on.It might want 200watts for itself but the quality of the electricity is fantastic,You really do see the difference on the big screens,etc.+ the fact that no matter wat happens the Symmetra is built to keep running regardless.
                                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »

Hi C/M,
MY other type UPS is called Powerware,
                                         series=EO3007i
                                        model=R300 XR-INT        input 120v @30amp,Output 2.700watt in 220,230,240volt in 50/60 hertz.
    There is also a third 120volt one but I cannot for the life of me remember the name.
     ON top of all that there is a French built one with a very french sounding name,Claud,,,,,. It is very old fashioned looking and I guess it would be The low frequency type the same idea as my Chinese Inverters.Symmetra and Powerware are modern Double conversion jobs,so a lot lighter and faster than the old heavyweight transformer types but in saying that,That French built one is supposed to be the Rolls Royce of them,The insides are certainly well put together(very impressive).It is only when you start looking for these things that you realise the hard work and definate heartbreak the designers and builders of these wonderfull machines must have suffered."Many are called but few are chosen"
                                                                                   Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
billt

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »

Claude Lyons of Waltham Cross, Herts. maybe?
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »

Actually billt,
                Thats the very man  facepalm but I thought he was french and it been a few years since I did those enquiries.
                                                                             Biff

clockmanFR

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 07:56:05 AM »

Thanks Biff will add them to my 120vDc list.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: