navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windoze - how do people put up with it?  (Read 62890 times)
clivejo

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 12:29:09 PM »

If you believe all that you must be in cloud cuckoo land - particularly the bit about linux not crashing.

It's not cuckoo land, it is a fact!   My OS (Ubuntu 13.04) is as stable as a rock and never crashes like a Windows system would.  I only reboot when I want to, not when it wants!  The only 'update' that requires a reboot is the kernel update and these are few and far between, unlike Windows which requires a reboot after almost EVERY update or after installing certain software.  

I have seen Linux web serverís that are only ever taken offline to perform a reboot!  With months and in some cases years of continuous up-time.  This is why embedded Linux is the operating system of choice for today's routers, set-top boxes and other devices in the home that "just work".

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
regen

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »

As a windows user for nearly 20 years it has not been without its problems.  The millenium prog was useless for me - not enough memory on my comp. and in 2002 ish i had 2 malious bugs but since the advent of XP which I have installed on at least 3 diff laptops and a couple of towers I have not had any of the problems mentioned.  It always starts up and is ready to use before I have made the coffee, It asks me if i want to down load the updates, it has never crashed. It works fine with other programmes Like Lightroom, photoshop CS4, nero etc and is capable of carrying out more than one task in the background. 

Whilst impartial info on other platforms is useful to have I doubt i will change anytime soon - If it aint broke dont fix it.

Regen

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
billt

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 05:27:27 PM »

If you believe all that you must be in cloud cuckoo land - particularly the bit about linux not crashing.

It's not cuckoo land, it is a fact!   My OS (Ubuntu 13.04) is as stable as a rock and never crashes like a Windows system would.  I only reboot when I want to, not when it wants!  The only 'update' that requires a reboot is the kernel update and these are few and far between, unlike Windows which requires a reboot after almost EVERY update or after installing certain software.  

I have seen Linux web serverís that are only ever taken offline to perform a reboot!  With months and in some cases years of continuous up-time.  This is why embedded Linux is the operating system of choice for today's routers, set-top boxes and other devices in the home that "just work".

So a sample of one is proof? I don't think so. I've been playing with various Linux distributions for years and I've had 3 systems that have crashed consistently. I've seen commercial info systems running under Linux where the OS has crashed. These examples don't mean that Unices are bad, but saying that Linux is the only wonderful OS doesn't make it so.

I run 2 Windows machines continuously (and several others intermittently); they haven't crashed and only get restarted when I tell them to. They haven't had viruses or trojans, they don't restart spontaneously. They just run reliably for weeks or months.

Linux has a great advantage for embedded systems - it doesn't cost anything.

As I said, I'm not denigrating Unices, just putting a sensible POV instead of the silly, unconsidered, anti Windows rants.
martin

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »

Carefully considered and measured observations after several years of using Linux, following several deeply disappointing years using Windoze..............no rant, just pointing out the shortcomings of Windoze in comparison to the totally superior free linux distros - not in the least "silly"........... Grin
I'm amazed that some people leap to defend the third-rate system which is Windoze - if anyone's being "silly.........." Grin

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
clivejo

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 05:52:40 PM »

Well all I can say is your lucky!  I used to be a Windows fan, I loved Win2K.  I then went on to beta test Vista and it was at this point I realized Microsoft had "lost the plot" and I jumped ship.  It was the UAC and dodgy drivers (blue screens) that broke the camels back.  I still have to use Windows, indeed I have XP and Windows 7 installed in Virtual Box for upgrading the firmware on my smart phone and other tasks that are Windows only(including a laser printer that only works in Windows!!).

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
Heinz

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 12:24:46 AM »

Well, after another long evening of computer tinkering, I had Mint running, just....  It's so slow that it's unusable due to 'Running in software rendering mode' Did some googling and this seems to be a very common problem in Mint 15 with no real solution as yet. I did find a suggestion that it's the Cinnamon desktop environment which is causing the problem and that the Mate desktop works Ok, so tried to install that via the install thingy, but it froze at 98%. Switch off, plug in the XP drive and here I am in just a couple of mins  Grin
I might give Mint a try on one of the other computers just to see what happens, but so far I'm underwhelmed. Sorry Martin.....

H

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
martin

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 09:28:15 AM »

That's a shame - in my experience, once it's fully installed (as opposed to running off the cd) it's lightning fast in comparison to Windoze on the same machine - let's hope further tinkering solves it - I've never had similar problems - it just installs and goes like a train "out of the box" Undecided
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:47:34 AM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
martin

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2013, 11:19:54 AM »

ps, just a thought - you could try a fresh install using the "xfce" version, which is designed to be lighter on resource use............ Wink

titan

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2013, 12:15:13 PM »

. Switch off, plug in the XP drive and here I am in just a couple of mins  Grin

Who would be proud of using  by choice a 15 year old OS ? The problem with this and other similar threads is someone, Martin in this case "discovers Linux" and becomes an evangelist.  Mint is fine as are a whole heap of other distros aimed at Windows users, unfortunately in the quest to make installation easy they make longer term Linux use problematic as they teach very little about Linux only lots about the latest and greatest desktop which is missing the point of the freedom of open source. A better introduction to linux would be to install a core unadulterated OS  like Debian , Fedora or Suze  learn a little of the basics and install several desktops to try out, it is just a couple of clicks to  swap between them, find what you like and set it up to suit your needs not what the Mint devs think their average user wants. Linux is not for everyone if you can't find your way around a Windows box Linux won't be a miracle solution but like most things in life put a bit of effort in and you are rewarded in this case with an OS that you own not the other way around.
martin

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2013, 01:04:11 PM »

I'm quite happy to be a "point and clicker", and really can't be stuffed to get my hands dirty (unless I have to) - to my mind the best o/s is one that gets out of the bloody way, and lets me get on with what I'm sitting at the keyboard for-  largely Mint fulfils that brief for me - it installs easily (most of the time), and "just does it" - sadly at one point Ubuntu went off at a screaming tangent with a totally unusable interface (Unity- somewhat like the atrocious Windoze 8 ) so I migrated to Mint, and am happy to recommend it to other people who may be totally put off by what looks like the "difficulty" of going a bit more hardcore - as I mentioned, I'm quite happy to do a very simple bit of terminal using, but am not keen on making a habit of it - Ubuntu led the way in simple installs for Windoze users, and without it I'd have never taken the plunge - it's now even simpler with the sort of downloadable disks you can get from the likes of Mint.
 No Mint isn't "perfect", but it's a damn good first toe in the water of Linux use, and is a great revelation when the same sad old laptop you had running XP (incredibly slowly and painfully) is suddenly transformed into a real little screamer, and you find for the first time that it's "your" computer and not Microsoft's, crashes, freezes, viruses and trojans are but a distant memory, and there's gazillions of free programmes available to try out a few clicks away.......... Smiley
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:05:48 PM by martin » Logged

clivejo

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »

Unfortunately, a users experience of Linux is dependant on hardware manufacturers and their commitment to Open Source.  My first "toe in the water" experience with Linux, it did not go very well due to my graphics card being ATI.  Due to that experience I now boycott manufacturers who dont offer support of Linux.  

There are still certain "paper cuts" which still annoy me about Linux.  But in the grand scheme of things it is definitely the choice, openness and stability that I now have a loyalty towards.  I still remain open minded and reserve the right to change my mind.  Just like once upon a time I was a very loyal Symbian (Nokia) fan, but it lost its way and now I prefer Android.

Heinz

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2013, 11:39:51 PM »

Well, I'm here on Mint Xfce but it's not really working very well so far. Mouse pointer is very jerky and slow in Firefox unless the page is 100% loaded and not scrolling. Just updated loads of stuff, going to reboot and see if it's any better...

H

clivejo

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2013, 11:45:48 PM »

Sounds like a hardware issue.  Have you tried PCLinuxOS ( http://www.pclinuxos.com/about/ )  Its a nice transition when coming from Windoze.

Heinz

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2013, 11:59:04 PM »

it's a bit better after all the updates and reboot. still wandering round exploring it Smiley

H

RIT

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2013, 01:59:41 AM »

I have to say that I use both Win7 and Linux(OpenSuse), the reason for Win7 is that my desktop is also used for playing games and most are not available for Linux.

The key thing I find for keeping Windows stable is the use of virtual machines as and when I want to try new things out. Windows is Sh!T when it comes to the installing and removing of applications and settings over time as the database it uses (the registy) was never designed to support such actions and over time just rots.

As for OpenSuse its not as fun as many of the distros, but at the same time its not as unstable as many. I also have full rights to the business grade Suss distro, so its better for me to stick with just one solution.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: