navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windoze - how do people put up with it?  (Read 63803 times)
wookey

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2013, 02:23:09 AM »

Re choosing a desktop. KDE if you like shiny and bling. XFCE for plain and boring but flexible (I use this on laptop, work machines and my TV media box). Cinnamon (aka Gnome 2) for 'standard' fairly Windows-like interface.

I'd second what titan said. Free Software is about taking control of your own kit and in the long term the core distros are more sustainable than the derivatives. I've used Debian on all my machines (including my solar controller) everywhere since 1999.

Billt. The advantages accrue beyond just embedded systems, but I do agree that Martin's fanboyism isn't realistic or helpful, although I guess it does get people to try things accaosionally.

Wookey
martin

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2013, 09:51:35 AM »

"isn't realistic or helpful" - I've given a straight and honest appraisal of my experience with different Linux releases, I've found linux to be a revelation, and am living proof you don't need to be a chippy geek to find it immeasurably better than Windoze for everyday use - yes, I am a fan, where's the problem? Roll Eyes

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Heinz

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »

Installed Opera instead of Firefox, MUCH better Smiley Starting to be hopeful ....

H

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
martin

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2013, 10:00:40 AM »

Brilliant! - At first it's rather like landing in a different country, you need to find where things are, but it's well worth persevering! Smiley

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Heinz

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2013, 10:16:01 AM »

Just got Thunderbird fired up, (used it many many moons ago when it was called Phoenix or something?) Anyway the mouse pointer is slow and jerky when it's running. It's like there's something working it's arse off in the background. Off to see if I can find the problem.....

H

Heinz

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2013, 10:14:16 PM »

Spent half the day messing about with computers ! Not all with Mint, started on that but then trying to to get Minecraft to run on XP for the larger child and failed....
After much fecking around with Mint 15 Xfce, gave up. Couldn't get it to run at a reasonable speed, everything slooow and with a couple of progs. open it was useless. Found taskmanager thing and Thunderbird was using 60% CPU while doing nothing? But even with Tbird closed, still loads of CPU action for a whole lot of nothing. Searched the net for info, found much but none useful to me  Sad
Installed Mint 13 Xfce this evening and it's smooth so far  Cool Tried opening several progs and all still works well. Thunderbird email is much better as it still has the menus which were deleted in 15 WTF were they thinking ?? Firefox works as it should and so far I feel at home with it !!! This may all change when something glitches....
I'll fly this one for a while, then if all is well, sort the dual boot thingy.
Cheers,

H

rt29781

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2013, 07:07:07 AM »

After much fecking around with Mint 15 Xfce, gave up. Couldn't get it to run at a reasonable speed, everything slooow and with a couple of progs. open it was useless.
Cheers,

H
I also tried mint and it as very slow.  That was on a Dell Inspiron.  Went back to Ubuntu and it is much faster.  Now on an old macbook running Ubuntu 12.04 which is rock solid and fast.  The user interface in Ubuntu is a bit strange now but I have got used to it.

Nowt currently, Aberdeen.....well actually very well insulated extension with passive solar that seems to heat the house....
Heinz

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »

Found the first problem, nothing wrong with Mint 13, it's still flying Smiley I keep having to refresh pages twice as the first refresh was so quick I'm not sure it even happened ! Youtube works so much better than it did in XP, Facebook (sorry) also no longer crashes, etc. Very impressed with Mint13 but I'm struggling a bit with the Thunderbird email prog. It works fine but the mail filtering is pants. I've got emails with several different names before the dot. Each name takes the email to the correct computer and Outlook Express has a 'do not download from server' rule, so I had each computer set to only download the emails intended for it. Thunderbird can't do this, so she sees my emails and I see hers, the workshop emails come to the house etc. I can set it so it's only the headers which arrive at all the computers, but a header with 'surprise party for Heinz' sums up the usefulness of that feature.

H

clivejo

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2013, 11:22:29 AM »

I can set it so it's only the headers which arrive at all the computers, but a header with 'surprise party for Heinz' sums up the usefulness of that feature.

H

Something very flawed and wrong about that approach!  Why on earth are you sharing one email account?!?

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
Heinz

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2013, 11:26:45 AM »

How else do I do it?
shed@xxxxxx.f9.co.uk
workshop@xxxxxx.f9.co.uk
herindoors@xxxxxx.f9.co.uk
heinz@xxxxxx.f9.co.uk
child1@xxxxxx.f9.co.uk

etc.
All these addresses go to the different computers. How do I get completely separate addresses without having to pay for multiple internet accounts? If I use Gmail or something, that still has to turn up at an inbox somewhere...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:30:21 AM by Heinz » Logged

titan

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2013, 11:58:57 AM »

I'm struggling a bit with the Thunderbird email prog. It works fine but the mail filtering is pants. I've got emails with several different names before the dot. Each name takes the email to the correct computer and Outlook Express has a 'do not download from server' rule, so I had each computer set to only download the emails intended for it. Thunderbird can't do this,

I am not too sure what you mean but mail filtering is normally local to that mail application on that machine only and Thunderbird is as good as any other. If you have multiple mail accounts you should be able to set each machine up to just receive the account or accounts you want. You should find the " leave message on server" option in each user account but it is not normal to do this with a POP3 account and most ISPs have a mailbox limit.
Heinz

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2013, 12:18:47 PM »

The email addresses are all 'name.xxxxxx.f9.co.uk'  the isp ignores the 'name' and sees the addresses as all being .xxxxxx.f9.co.uk The 'name' is really just there for me to filter the emails at my end. As far as I know that's how it works and is quite normal.
Thunderbird does leave the messages on the server unless I delete them, but all my computers will 'see' all the emails on the server via Thunderbird.
Hope that makes some sense....

martin

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2013, 12:21:58 PM »

If you set up accounts for each on Thunderbird it'll just download the relevant emails - I've got "martin@" and "info@", and each just downloads the relevant ones (using "pop") - if you use "imap" they all stay on the server (but then you get hit by the server limits)

djh

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »

How else do I do it?
shed@xxxxxx.f9.co.uk
workshop@xxxxxx.f9.co.uk
herindoors@xxxxxx.f9.co.uk
heinz@xxxxxx.f9.co.uk
child1@xxxxxx.f9.co.uk

etc.
All these addresses go to the different computers. How do I get completely separate addresses without having to pay for multiple internet accounts? If I use Gmail or something, that still has to turn up at an inbox somewhere...

How does Outlook Express deal with this situation?

The 'proper' way to deal with it in Linux is to set up a mail server such as postfix on one computer. That downloads all the mail and then serves out the appropriate mails to each user when they ask. It might be a bit of a learning curve to set up though.

You could perhaps cheat. Set up a mail filter rule in your TB that hides all the mail except that addressed to you. And similarly for all the other accounts.

I'm not a mail expert though, so I don't know what problems you might run into. Hopefully somebody else knows more.

Cheers, Dave
martin

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2013, 12:29:15 PM »

You could always RTFM Grin
http://mozilla.gunnars.net/thunderbird_mail_setup.html#sect-sharing - or the official one -
https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/home
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:39:24 PM by martin » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: