navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windoze - how do people put up with it?  (Read 64223 times)
Heinz

« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2013, 12:40:59 AM »

Had a sugar induced brainwave and just created a new file called 'Program_Files' for my programs and left 'Program Files' where it is, so it's tidy and the virtual windows thing will still work fine. Now to fight with the the launcher and menu......

H

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
Heinz

« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2013, 12:06:06 AM »

Still messing about with Mint.
Are any of you using 13 XFCE  ?? I foolishly changed the appearance style via 'settings/appearance/style' and I'm bu**ered if I can find the one it was on by default. Tried the whole list but can't get the look and icons back to where they were  Roll Eyes

Cancel that. Found the answer, the icons and the style are two different things and I'd altered both...... Fool  Grin

New Q.  I like Opera, so installed that and it's fine, but despite me setting Opera to be the default browser via the 'preferred applications' thing, Firefox still opens if I click a link on something. Any ideas?

H
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:23:17 AM by Heinz » Logged

Heinz

« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2013, 03:45:39 PM »

20 ish days of Mint and despite quite liking much of it, it's too difficult and buggy I think.

No matter how I set the options, Thunderbird refuses to auto get emails.

Opera works pretty well, but despite being set as the default browser in the 'preferred applications' thing, links still open Firefox. Also Opera keeps loosing it's settings. Sometimes on opening it'll open all the previous tabs, sometimes not. Altering the preferences does not appear to make it's behavior consistent. Also Opera extensions (ghostery and Adblocker) sometimes work and sometimes not. I can restart them by disabling then enabling, but it's a PITA. Videos are also a problem, 'this plugin has crashed' is a very familiar sight.

The 'software manager' and 'synaptic software thing' do work to get new programs, but slow ain't the word. I did reset the software sources to the French server as it's faster, but using these progs is like running XP on a 386....
Getting programs via Terminal works well IF you know what you're looking for.....

Thunar file manager is not a patch on Windows Explorer in XP.

Music. I tried several MP3 players, the best seemed to be Audacity but it refuses to remember where the music is stored unless it's on the same drive as Mint. Also the sound quality is very 'hissy' (background hiss and noise between tracks) in all the players I tried. Messed about with setting to no avail. Fire XP back up and instant sound quality from Billy.exe with it's simple hotkeys while running in the background.

Mint itself is slower than my XP. I have tweaked XP a bit over the years and I have minimal carp in the system which makes it faster than a 'normal' users XP. I have read several tutorials on Mint and followed some of their advice on improving things and quite enjoyed messing about with setting via Terminal, but at the end of the day it's just too slow and difficult for everyday use. I need to read the .pdf now! Try opening it in Mint and Gimp opens!?? Mint does have a reasonable 'docuument viewer, but it's not a patch on Foxit and an evening messing around still hasn't found a good and simple .pdf viewer or managed to stop it trying to open the impressive but fecking huge Gimp which takes forever.

Wine. Great idea but poor execution. I did get the three Windows programs I wanted to work, sort of. Irfanview works OK, but won't/can't open files on the other hard drives which contain all my photos. Cardfile (robbed from Win 3.11 many moons ago) kind of works but looses the path to it's .crd file each time. Convert.exe which is a very nice lightweight unit conversion program works but the tabs are overlapping, so unreadable. I did discover that the tabs can be set as a scroll from side to side which works, but it's much easier if you can see them all at once. Tried to find a Linux version of Convert.exe and there are a few out there but far too big and bloated = slow

The one real problem I have with XP is Javascript. Open a few webpages and inevitably one of them will have a duff script 'a script on this page is not responding' which causes everything to grind to a halt, same problem in IE, Firefox and Opera. Facebook is a favorite culprit for this, so I use their mobile site to avoid Javascript and have JS turned off unless I need to use it which makes most sites load about twice as fast. I had hoped that Mint would somehow be free of this problem, but no. The same sites cause the same problems in both operating systems....

Enough complaining, I think it's hot chocolate and cake time Smiley

martin

« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »

I don't know if it's any consolation, but your experiences seem to be pretty atypical - I've now run Ubuntu and Mint for some 7 years with none of the problems you describe, and every machine I've tried it on is decidedly faster and virtually totally problem free in comparison to Windoze........
Funnily enough, I'm on the verge of "giving up" on Windoze 7 again and installing a dual-boot Mint setup. Bought a ridiculously cheap netbook in the market earlier this week (£40 for a 3 yr old netbook in nice nick) and have just treated it to an upgrade to 2Gb memory....... perhaps I'm getting soft in my old age, but had decided that as it ran quite well on Windoze, and it'll probably just be used by 'er indoors for Facecloth, that I'd leave it as a Windoze machine....... I've lasted since Tuesday, and at lunchtime it "just did it once too often" - the memory arrived in the post, so muggins thought "no prob, whack it in quick, then walk the dogs" - first of all there's demands to kill various programmes, then having dealt with that, a quarter of an hour later I'm still sitting there while it installs who knows what from Microsnot with dire warnings about not interrupting it....... Sorry buster, you're MY computer, not the other way round - Mint it is for you!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:32:37 PM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
martin

« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2013, 05:11:52 PM »

ps, the bloody thing's just done it again - newest Mint downloading on main computer, attempted to switch off the damned netbook prior to rebooting into USB stick - firstly gives dire warnings about "killing" programmes, then "do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 1 of 1".............Where's me hammer? fume

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
clivejo

« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2013, 05:51:51 PM »

Heinz, have you tried Virtual Box (https://www.virtualbox.org/) it runs WinXP for me no problems at all. 

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
titan

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »

20 ish days of Mint and despite quite liking much of it, it's too difficult and buggy I think.

Thunar file manager is not a patch on Windows Explorer in XP.

Music. I tried several MP3 players, the best seemed to be Audacity

Mint does have a reasonable 'docuument viewer, but it's not a patch on Foxit

Wine. Great idea but poor execution.

Linux is about freedom of choice, there are dozens of file managers here are a few http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20081224191928555/FileManagers.html   try them  until you find one you like. Audacity is a music editor or did you mean Audacious, give MOC a try if you want something really lean and fast. Document viewers vary Okukar is very good but need some KDE libs. Wine is mostly a waste of time install a virtual desktop manager like VM ware, Virtualbox or native KVM and run your XP as a linux application and any windows app within it. 
Greenbeast

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2013, 07:08:26 PM »

Heinz, i've been reading your updates and have constantly wondered why you're putting yourself through this ordeal  Wink

I do run linux here (debian) on a plug computer and aother version of it on my RPi, but for both my media PC and my main machine (laptop) i'm on Win7, and it's absolutely fine! It's one of the best (if not the best) OS Microsoft have released.
Heinz

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2013, 09:31:02 PM »

Heinz, i've been reading your updates and have constantly wondered why you're putting yourself through this ordeal  Wink

I do run linux here (debian) on a plug computer and aother version of it on my RPi, but for both my media PC and my main machine (laptop) i'm on Win7, and it's absolutely fine! It's one of the best (if not the best) OS Microsoft have released.

Why? Well, that's the story of my life....   Many have watched me do stuff and wondered 'Why?'
My mum once described me as 'Stubborn to the point of stupidity' Which I always rather liked  hysteria

H

Heinz

« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2013, 09:44:37 PM »

Heinz, have you tried Virtual Box (https://www.virtualbox.org/) it runs WinXP for me no problems at all. 

So I install Virtual box in Mint, then install XP in Virtual Box? I can see that that would work, but doesn't that kind of defeat the object of not running Microsoft? How does the CPU cope with running two Op Systems at the same time? Twice the work?

H

Heinz

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2013, 09:54:53 PM »

Linux is about freedom of choice, there are dozens of file managers here are a few http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20081224191928555/FileManagers.html   try them  until you find one you like. Audacity is a music editor or did you mean Audacious, give MOC a try if you want something really lean and fast. Document viewers vary Okukar is very good but need some KDE libs. Wine is mostly a waste of time install a virtual desktop manager like VM ware, Virtualbox or native KVM and run your XP as a linux application and any windows app within it. 

I'm all for freedom of choice... But it kind of reminds me of a supermarket isle where you spend half an hour trying to find the right kind of cornflakes  Roll Eyes
Got the names confused. I use both, used the Audacity editor in Win98 to measure projectile speed during the summer.
MOC looks interesting. I do love simple, no bull software  Grin

H

clivejo

« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2013, 02:40:32 PM »

So I install Virtual box in Mint, then install XP in Virtual Box? I can see that that would work, but doesn't that kind of defeat the object of not running Microsoft? How does the CPU cope with running two Op Systems at the same time? Twice the work?

H

Yes, thatís how it works. However, Linux is much better with resource allocation and because VB sits on top of the Linux kernel, you will probably find that XP runs faster in VB than a physical install !!  Also because its in a "sandbox" you can take a copy and run tests in a safe environment.  Its great for software development as you can boot up a clean install in seconds.

Unfortunately, due to the monopoly that is Micro$oft and the years of forcing their OS on companies (default installing it on PC's) its become the "de facto" for companies wishing to sell hardware and software.  There are some programs you will not be able to find an Open Source alternative for and if you want to use them you have to use Windoze.  I only use my XP container on VB for flashing/backup of my mobile phone and to use a laser printer for which the OS drivers dont give me the options I require.

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2014, 09:02:13 AM »

Hi

We use  two computers , that run with XP  ....
Now , its end of  windows XP support time ...

What options would be  easiest to keep XP and installed programs   without running into trouble ....

I am not sure if the "end of support " has some thing to do , that my Outlook express  started to fail (installed thunderbird instead (sweet), Open  Office  causes problems ...
Each boot it runs a CHKDSK disc scan ....

billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2014, 09:40:44 AM »

Mrs T has an old dell laptop running XP, to change to Linux or not to change and leave well alone. That is the question.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
martin

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2014, 09:47:19 AM »

Do both! If there's room on the hard drive, download Linux Mint Cinnamon, burn a DVD, and fire it up from the DVD, once the operating system is there, hit the "install" button, and it'll walk you through making the machine "dual boot" so you can choose either at start-up! ballspin

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: