navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lorry ratchet-strap strength  (Read 9196 times)
chasfromnorfolk

« on: September 12, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »

Has anyone a good idea of the lifting capacity of lorry straps? The huge and apparently robust big orange jobbies about 2" width.  Please don't say 1kg less than you want to lift...

This is in the true spirit of bodging - mine clearly say on the label "do not use for lifting".

Chas
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:05:53 PM »

If it's a quality one and not one from Lidl they will far, far in excess of what you can physically ratchet, many are rated at 10 tons. I've often used them for straightening bent stanchions and drawing lengths of seriously heavy pipe together.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
clockmanFR

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 07:08:46 PM »

I have actually lifted straight up a 280kg load, but they creaked and groaned, so used two.

If its a delicate load your lifting vertical, then don't, because the pressed steel mechanism ratchet is not brilliant!. faint
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:13:04 PM by clockmanFR » Logged

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 08:17:15 PM »

I used two of these jobbies on my winch,
                                      When the turbine is lowered as much as possible(tower 30ft),it is about 6ft off the ground(hub) so the tower is quite low to flat,To pull the turbine upright I planted the base about 30ft from a large 80ft pine tree,Then I went up the tree 25ft and fitted a pully on a thick short wire rope round the tree,
      The winch was a 12,000 lb job so in order to attach it to the tree I bolted it to 3 x 3 angle and placed the two angle irons with the winch on board up against the tree.I fed the straps round the base of the tree and round the two angle irons above and below the winch.I used the rachet to pull the straps tight.I thought that this might not hold but that was 6yrs + ago.There was one time that the turbine was blown upright in a storm and dropped down a good 15ft at least and slamming down on the winch rope.It never took a shake out of the winch,s mountings at the base of the tree.I check them now and then and they are perfect.So I would say they are extremely strong and can grip that tree like nothing I have ever seen before.
                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:32:58 PM »

No, not Lidl, but good commercial Norfolk Line stock that somehow found its way to a car boot sale...
So, we think that 2 of them, looped under a pallet with a fork through each could lift 1.5, maybe a tad more tons?

Chas
camillitech

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:48:39 PM »

No, not Lidl, but good commercial Norfolk Line stock that somehow found its way to a car boot sale...
So, we think that 2 of them, looped under a pallet with a fork through each could lift 1.5, maybe a tad more tons?

Chas

Only one way to find out Chas, if it were me I would, but then I've never given much heed to 'safe working loads'

the carrier say 50kg, the reel is 150kg  Roll Eyes sometimes I wonder how I ever reached 57 or is it 58  wackoold

wouldn't stand under it right enough  sh*tfan

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:03:48 PM »

Maybe I'll see if I can borrow another two and double-up... I was hoping they were long enough to wrap round twice, but Sod has interposed the Law.
Chas
johnrae

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 09:23:38 PM »

Just remember that these have no brake and therefore cannot be used to"lower" the weight.  As soon as you release the latch they freewheeel out.  Been there, experienced it !! faint
knighty

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:31:28 PM »

I've lifted over 2 ton

but the strap was around the forklift forks/load twice so I guess that halves the load per strap

:-)
JohnS

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:54:42 PM »

I bought one from Screwfix to help get big tree stumps out.  I would leave 6 ft of stump, dig out as much roots as I needed, winch over in as many direstions as I could to loosen roots, dig, axe, chop, winch over and eventually there would only be the tap rout to chop.  It could take as much load as I could put on it.  I might not be the strongest, but I am not weak either.

John

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
oliver90owner

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 08:59:58 AM »

Any good one will have a rating tag stitched to the webbing.

I have 5 tonners and 2 (or 2.5) tonners.  Of course that is the rating when new an undamaged.  They are fixed very tight but that is not what they are for -they hold the item securely to the lorry/trailer bed and are only fully stressed when the load tips over! The whole caboodle should tip with the load and trailer still securely fixed together.   Many times used a couple in parallel to drag a vehicle up onto a trailer.  Hard work and the pull decreases rapidly as the web roll on the ratchet gets bigger!  As others, not safe for lifting vertically.  Borrow a block and tackle.  Aldi occasionally sell mains electric winches; up to 250kg with snatch block, I believe.  I have one and it is a useful tool.  Be safe.

RAB
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:07:44 AM by oliver90owner » Logged
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 09:28:58 AM »

Thanks for the interest, and interesting replies... I should have been more direct: we have a forklift to lift with, but no conventional lifting 'platform' beneath, so the idea was to loop lorry straps around the load and forks and, well, lift.

I had hoped my 2 straps would each go round twice but dimensions prevent this, so I'm borrowing 2 more and will double-up that way.

Though it wasn't the original enquiry, the idea of using the strap 'straight' and the ratchet to lift is useful - we're about to take down some pines close to a wall, so maybe as well as the usual straining rope to encourage a fall in the right direction, I might rig some straps under tension too...

Cheers,

Chas
titan

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34:31 AM »

Has anyone a good idea of the lifting capacity of lorry straps? The huge and apparently robust big orange jobbies about 2" width.  Please don't say 1kg less than you want to lift...

This is in the true spirit of bodging - mine clearly say on the label "do not use for lifting".

Chas

You don't say what weight you are thinking of lifting but tie down webbing is not designed for lifting, buy some strops they are cheap enough. Random ebay search.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pair-endless-round-slings-2-5m-ewl-2-ton-swl-lifting-webbed-/271273222348
renewablejohn

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 09:56:19 AM »

Lorry straps are great. I have abused them on many occasions and would estimate there good for about 2 - 3 tonnes but be warned when they do fail they go in spectacular fashion without any warning. Having to admit to several failures just dont tell H & S they basically fell into two categories. One I would call the jerk using as a tow rope and snatching the strap. The other is the cut whereby right angle metal shears the webbing under load like butter.

As others have suggested a good strop is relatively cheap although I am old school and prefer working with chains with 3 leg and 4 leg chains easy to come by.
Tombo

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 09:57:34 AM »

The convention used to be a single contrasting colour thread running the length of the webbing for each tonne rating. Two threads of two tonne and so forth. Mine are mostly 5 tonne (five thread) and I have never snapped one without abusing it. Protect them from sharp objects!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: