navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lorry ratchet-strap strength  (Read 9195 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 10:09:38 AM »

I have used these rachet straps for lifting all kinds of things from girders to block laden pallets,
                         However I always tried to protect them from sharp edges and sliding about(not easy).They do not snap suddenly on the straight pull but instead they go narrow and creak and shred,The web gets badly distorted before they snap.They will definatly slice easily(burn) sliding back and forth on the tine of the forklift,so pack them out with cardboard or old jumpers.
    I can think of nothing else that can grip and hold and absorb shock like the two rachets straps I used to secure the winch to the base of the big pine.
    The tree has already begun to grow around some parts of the straps. Grin and its more than likely that I will have to renew them in another 5 years or so but I dont mind that.They do a fantastic trustworthy job.
                                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
jeffyorks

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »

Loadstraps are not rated for lifting and if you employ anyone don't go there.

The webbing on standard straps has a minimum breaking load of 5 tonnes on the single part, the ratchet should be the same.

50mm single thickness webbing slings are rated at 1 tonne working load limit with a safety factor of 7:1 used vertically - If 2 slings are used as a 2 leg assembly with 90 degrees between them they must be derated - look on the web for the details.

50mm Increments in width give higher lifting capacity by 1 tonne

Duplex or double thickness slings are rated at 2 x the single.

If you lift in an endless loop around slow corners and vertically you can lift 2 x the rated load however halshing or choking the webbing - or chains for that matter - will reduce the rated load by up to 50% depending on the angle between the sling and horizontal - gravity makes one hell of a difference.

Also sharp corners - like angle iron or UB edges will also be a weak point.

First and last rule of lifting - DON'T STAND UNDER OR NEAR THE LOAD use tag lines to control its position.

Here endeth the lesson

chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 07:16:43 PM »

Well, tis done and in the end we used 4, so as to get the doubling effect in the two lifting points... I was hoping to post some pics but can't get them from the phone to the laptop just now: you'd think Mac to Mac bluetooth would be the easiest thing in the world.

I was at one point forced to get underneath to clear the temporary staging from the forklift path despite all good advice here - but don't worry, I was wearing the  steel toecapped boots.

Will be back with the pics.

Chas
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 06:48:33 PM »

Okeydokey, here's the job: 4 lorry straps of uncertain vintage, 4 blokes of uncertain vintage and a ditto Telehoist let loose on one and a half tons of quite precious architectural salvage:

prntscr

screenshot utility

screen shot on a pc

image post

photo sharing
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 08:02:15 PM »

Very nice Chas,
                The doves will love it,
                                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
clockmanFR

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 08:49:07 PM »

Big Bell ?

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
M

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »

Big Bell ?

Just the one? I reckon the dude ducking underneath has got a pair of em!

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 10:37:57 PM »

I think the doves are supposed to be able to fly in through the upright slits at the top and then walk about crapping on everything hysteria
                                                           Biff

oliver90owner

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 10:44:43 PM »

What is in that to make a tonne and a half?
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 11:09:47 PM »

Lots of lead and maybe a steel frame.
          Biff

camillitech

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 05:15:42 AM »

Beautiful leadwork Chas, I hope it's in a 'pikey proof' location  hysteria  hysteria

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 08:56:25 AM »

H,mmmmm,Errr,Maybe,
                 Twould be a handy one to nick, Just drive the old white transit underneath,strap the lot to the roof rack with existing straps(they have been well tested for safety),cut the legs and away off down the road like the clappers,
        "Attention all cars," "be on the lookout for a heavily laden white Ford Transit,travelling at high speed with a Minaret on the roof rack,being followed by a flock of angry birds"
     " T,Is away with the birds they are" said one helpfull officer"
                                                            Biff

chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 11:26:22 AM »

What a misrepresentation of self-employed travelling scrap dealers...

Ok, the weight is an estimate based on the experience of the teleporter driver who lifted it for delivery, endorsed by the teleporter driver who lifted it into place... it's 7 foot six square, some lead and a massive timber frame beneath with a meaty wrought iron topknot fixed by a spike dangling 7 feet below and a huge nut to secure it... not as much lead as there was, all the uniform grey area on the main body is now fibreglass (encouraged by a thread started here, somewhere) as it had been stripped prior to me getting my hands on the thing.
So - a less attractive target for rascally lead thieves then.

And, sorry to dispel the apparently amusing idea of me being showered with pigeon merde while enjoying an exotic cheroot below - it's not a ventilator doodah, it's just a decorative doodah, the sort seen atop banks and the like in an elaborate Victorian High Street scene - so there's no way through for it to shower.

Off to do a bit of landscaping.

Chas
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 02:43:07 PM »

It is very very nice Chas,
             But what are you going to do when you are smoking your root and look around and see all these guys bending down onto their prayer mats,?
          That could be akward,It could get crowded, whistlie
                 Biff

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: