navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to setup a wind turbine?  (Read 5327 times)
puddingbag

« on: November 09, 2013, 01:31:19 PM »

Hi,

I brought a small wind turbine a few years ago and have just started to play with it now!

I have lost the instructions it came with, so am not sure what I need to do, to get it to work?

I want it to power a car battery if possible? or some other type of battery, not sure the best option??

Hope you can advise

Many thanks

Tim
martin

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »

Any idea what it is/was? - is that all there is ?
"Wind" looks really simple, but is in fact pretty complicated to get right - you'll get bags of help from many of the forum members, but we'll need to know a lot more about the turbine, where you want to site it etc..........
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 02:27:01 PM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 05:25:55 PM »

Hello Tim,
          I am going to make a wild guess and say that your turbinbe is a 12volt Aelous 300. ( "few years ago")
           If I am right,then all you have to do is stick it up on a scaffod pole,route it through that controller to the battery and hope for the best.
                                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
kernelpower

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »

alas that motor is total garbage , I got conned into buying 2 off ebay back in the early days
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »

I had one as well.
             The rectifiers used to blow and the blades used to slap about during deliberate overspeed.(very noisy)
                                                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
kernelpower

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 04:56:36 PM »

Mine never had a chance they are sitting in my shed , once I read the facts about the rated RPM I ended up building one, maybe they would power a light bulb but not much else.

ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 08:12:34 PM »

C'mon chaps , we're here to help this keen new entrant into the dizzy world of renewable energy , not criticise his purchase !
Welcome aboard Tim ,- we'll help where we can.
What bits do you ? do you have the complete turbine? blades and all?
Do you have pole/tower you can mount it on - ideally in clean air away from trees and obstacles.
Tell us what you've got ,-we'll help you learn by not making the mistakes we all have  stir
George.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »

By Gum You are right George,
                         Absolutly, I am nobody to talk and to be honest I have bought a few lemons as well,But you are right,Best to pull these jobbies out into the light of day and set them running. fingers crossed!
                                                  Biff                             

puddingbag

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »

Hi, Thank you for your reply's. I did not get a email telling me I had had any comments! so didn't know! until I login in again, just now.

So my Aelous 300 is rubbish! o'h dear! and yes did buy it from ebay ;-)

So what is a good turbine to buy? around 500w to 1kw??

Can I just confirm. So from the turbine I need a 'controller'  linked to a battery and then the battery to a inverter. is that correct??

Thanks

Tim

SteveH

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »

So my Aelous 300 is rubbish! o'h dear! and yes did buy it from ebay ;-)

That's not a "Aelous 300" Tim... This is....

Not sure what you have got though?

Preveli, South Crete.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 05:34:35 PM »

Tim,
     A pic please,to help us help you.
                                 Biff

martin

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 06:44:16 PM »

Puddingbag - at the top right of the thread there are some links -     "Reply  |  Notify  |  Mark unread  |  Send this topic  |  Print "     - just click on "notify" and follow your nose if you want to be informed of replies to a thread Wink

Personally, I reckon you're best to stick to the big names for small turbines (Marlec Rutland and Futurenergy for instance) unless you've got a lot of knowledge/experience - their products are tried, tested, and have good backup

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: