navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new 500 watt wind turbine fitted having problems already  (Read 37019 times)
sputnik

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 08:08:42 PM »

Hi Folks,
I have a Rutland on my yacht and it's been good for many years but the output is not high enough for liveaboard use to my mind and so I was looking for something a bit meatier.........

Cheers,

C.
mickmm

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 10:55:13 AM »

Hi Folks  just an update on my original post about my ista breeze 500 watt turbine    on having   problems i decided to take it to pieces   and on doing so   what i found inside    was  a metal spring retaining Colette that should have been used to retain the slip ring that was stuck to the magnets  between the coils and the magnet     not a very good start??
then i went to detach the connections  which were spade connections from a vehicle   2 out of the three just fell off in my hand   and the slip ring should have been   glued to the body   that was loose    all in all it seemed like i had got one that was made on a Friday afternoon 
 anyway as i had not had much luck   with it turning   i decided to fit a set of  carbon fibre blades  that are the type fitted to the hornet   so i was told
 and a new  s/s hub   it all went back   and waited for some wind     eventually   the winds arrived   and it turned   quite fast   but   i seemed to be having a problem now with the hybrid  controller thats an ista breeze as well  i could only get the red  light to come on   and nothing else   it supposed to put the orange light on when it was producing power
  so now that has   gone back to   the manufacturers  for a replacement      i did notice when the turbine was really going fast  it got to the stage where it started to shake the pole.
so i have had to   stop it,    it is perhaps  out of balance  or something Huh      so its coming down again ,   and  i will just have to see if the 3 blades  refitted do any better   
i did complain to the manufacturers    but did not seem to   get much help    its looking like  at the moment   the lot may go up for sale   and i will stick to solar panels   mick mm
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 12:22:15 PM »

Hi Mickmm
        A better idea would be to put it up for auction on fleabay,explain exactly why you are selling it.Explain that it is the greatest pile of shyte that you ever had the poor misfortune to lay hands on,Explain what you found inside when you opened it,Explain how helpfull Isabreeze was when you contacted them and asked for help.
    You will not get a lot of money for it but you will make a few folks smile and you never know maybe the smartalecks who sold you the pup will try and rectify the problem.If you stick to the script and tell it how it happened you will be doing everyone a favour and will keep your good feedback.
                                                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
sputnik

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 05:21:57 PM »

I've had a very similar experience to you and I'm afraid we've been had. Even if you succeed in getting the thing to spin don't expect much out of it. The max I saw was 5amps @ 24v, just before the blades stalled and the turbine furled. Nowhere near 500w.
I had thought of buying some of those blades you mentioned, and wonder if a different controller might help.
I'll be interested so see how you get on, mine is halfway to the bin as it is.........
Cheers,
C.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 07:42:26 PM »

If this is spam then please remove Martin but it's a good laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=altinel+enerji+ltd&oq=altinel+enerji+ltd&gs_l=youtube.3...3678.15585.0.16163.18.18.0.0.0.0.152.1969.7j11.18.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.QlF7vSlj7rk

It shows the assembly shop in Turkey where the Ista Breeze 500 is made. There's the manager who can talk the hind leg of a donkey and a lad who seems to be the sole employee, assembling turbines using dubious practices. So if your turbine is useless, these are the men who need to know. Click on the chap with a tache.
Stan
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:45:38 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 08:02:58 PM »

Thanks for that link Stann,
                           I pressed the translate key and was amazed to hear every word in exellent english.I was also amazed to hear the guy with the tash saying that he has just shipped 2 of his best machines to Clivejo in fermanagh in Ireland between Iceland and Kentucky.He is also claiming diplomatic imunity against any claims for bad workmanship.Would you believe it?,He also said that he sent away to China for a load of turbine spares and they sent him back a container full of the latest missiles so if you moan too much about the poor performance he can give you the rocket.
                                                                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
clockmanFR

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 08:08:25 PM »

Stan, I loved it, what fun of a snake oil salesperson.

Loved the youth trying to tap a blind hole with a 5mm or probably 4mm tap.  hysteria hysteria
How many do you think he broke?,  a shame that no vertical press or drill press was available.

Loved the grinder chop saw on the clean work table.  hysteria hysteria hysteria 

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
sputnik

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 08:19:48 PM »

Would be even funnier if Mickmm and me and god knows how many other people hadn't lost 300quid on the damn things.

I took a punt on mine based on the 'made in Turkey' tag. They are well known as first rate boat builders/riggers etc and this turbine is sold as a marine unit. There were no useful reviews available when I bought mine but I noticed that they were being sold by Midsummer Energy here in Cambridge, who are a well respected renewables supplier. They soon afterwards stopped selling them :-(

I wish I'd bought a Chinese one now..........
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 08:22:56 PM »

fingers crossed! fingers crossed!
                  Biff

camillitech

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 08:48:35 PM »

Would be even funnier if Mickmm and me and god knows how many other people hadn't lost 300quid on the damn things.

I took a punt on mine based on the 'made in Turkey' tag. They are well known as first rate boat builders/riggers etc and this turbine is sold as a marine unit. There were no useful reviews available when I bought mine but I noticed that they were being sold by Midsummer Energy here in Cambridge, who are a well respected renewables supplier. They soon afterwards stopped selling them :-(

I wish I'd bought a Chinese one now..........

hysteria  hysteria

This is what happened to my Turkish shotgun after only 20 rounds

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/the-flat-battery-exploding-gun-and-minor-fire/

you should have bought a UK one  Wink

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2013, 09:10:13 PM »

There's a customer here who likes to see exactly what he has bought.  wackoold

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:15:52 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
sputnik

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2013, 09:11:25 PM »

Indeed !  Undecided
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 09:30:14 PM »

.......and here is the view of another customer.  hysteria

"First of all. If you expect to buy a kit that you just put together to generate electricity, forget it and look elsewhere. If you are looking for some parts to form the basis of a small wind turbine assembly, then this may be of interest to you.

No tracking information was provided by the seller. However, it was delivered by a carrier requiring signature and who provided tracking. Fortunately the 'you were out' card was avoided.

The packaging was not really up to the job of survivng a parcels carrier. Although parts had moved around inside, there was no significant contents damage. Just a couple of minor scuffs.

The kit was described by the seller as 'made in Europe'. The turbine head assembly is Turkish. The controller assembly German and the invertor is Chinese. Make of that what you will. The parts are available from places other than Amazon with the same seller.

The 'kit' does not contain all of the cables, connectors, etc that are required. The instructions are not particularly good. If you have reasonable electrical knowledge then you will be OK about sourcing the required parts and working out the wiring details. Expect to have to sot out cables, ferrules, crimps, etc.

You might expect the German turbine controller PCB to be the best part of the package. But this is certainly not the case. On arrival the package rattled. The PCB was loose inside the aluminium case. The cause was quickly revealed when opening the case. There is a 35amps 3phase rectifier soldered to the PCB. This has an M5 clearance hole for fixing. The manufacturer had chosen to try to self tap an M6 machine screw through the plastic, to secure the PCB assembly to the case. The assembler had given up with the screw only part way through leaving the PCB to rattle. However, the aluminium case was too thin to take the M6 countersunk screw head. This method, even if it had worked, is a poor solution. The soldered joints to the PCB being under strain when the terminal block is used. Yes there is a large unsupported terminal block on the end of the PCB. After some use I discovered that the board consumes 450mA from the battery when doing nothing. There are 3 relays permanently energised. These are not low coil power, but automotive low cost (low efficiency) types. Steps can be taken to significantly reduce the current consumption. But additional components and soldering skils are required. In round figures, as built the board will discharge an 85Ah leisure battery in a (low wind) week. This drain can easily halved by low cost component changes and additions. The general standard of construction on the PCB is poor, but it appears to work. The overall design and component choice, coupled with shoddy assembly are very reminiscent of a home build 1980s design.

The turbine head is not balanced, it is nose heavy. It is also unstable in wind, reducing efficiency. I strongly recommend extending the tail using metal sheet to improve stability and balance. The blade design, coupled with the strong permanent magnets in the alternator mean that a strong gust is needed to start rotation, but once moving, the blade maintains rotation in a moderate wind. There is some whirring and vibration carried down the shaft into the building below. As yet I have not had enough windy days to determine how this problem might be reduced. The small fins immediately behinde the hub in the seller photos give the impression of being heatsinks (cooling fins). These are in fact plastic, just for show.

The invertor sometimes reports fault when started into no load, sometimes it is OK. So far I have not made much use of it beyond running small filament and CFL lamps for test, so cannot comment further.

In conclusion. This is not a well thought out kit of parts. It is better regarded as a prototype, providing the basis for further development by a technically competent person.

I am working on the controller PCB and turbine situation. For any individuals wishing to modify their own similar kit, then I am happy to make the information freely available. For any manufacturer or retailer wanting to improve their product, all enquiries to be written on the back of 50 notes please. I have 30+ years of electronics design and would be ashamed to let something like this kit out of the door. Especially as it can be so easily made into a much better product.

This is an ongoing project and I may well add more information later.

1 month update. Despite carrying out significant power saving on the controller PCB, the unit has generated less electricity than the PCB consumes. Having had a chance to view performance in high wind, the design error on the top of mast kit jumps at you. The tail is nowhere near big enough to point the assembly reliably into wind. I should have taken a video of an adjacent wind vane with crude wind gauge to show how the turbine doesn't turn and faces the wrong way! Soon I will be taking the kit down and fitting a much larger tail fin to address this issue. I note the selling price has increased since purchase."
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:45:54 PM by stannn » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2013, 09:40:02 PM »

In a way it is not funnay at all.
                      Folks like Sputnik will have had a sickner by now but all I can say is to not give up.Perhaps a different controller might give some light relief but at the end of the day,I was  kind of put off facepalm by the way the magnets were spaced out on the rotar inside the istabreeze.A 10yr old kid could do better.This could not last,there was no way that that rotar could be possibly balanced,with such wide irregualrities in the magnet spacing.
         The whole shebang is a very poor effort.
                                                         Biff
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:07:17 AM by biff » Logged

kernelpower

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 11:55:07 PM »

Don't give up on getting it working , I started work on my turbine again recently and its been flying the last few days , could produce more power but once I get the 1.35m Fibreglass blades I bought from China recently there should be a lot more torque.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: