navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new 500 watt wind turbine fitted having problems already  (Read 37011 times)
mickmm

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »

well what have i started,it seems that i  am not the only one that has got one thats been put together on a Friday afternoon,    after complaining to istabreeze  they told me to send the controller back  to Belfast,  after waiting for just over a  week    without receiving my  replacement   i sent another email   asking why i had not had a replacement   i had a reply   which just said   in capitals    WHAT PARTS TO YOU WANT THEN  i could not believe it   another email and had to send a picture  of the controller     and  now   they have said   one is in the post   i have never known  such a terrible customer service  and i told them so
  I have just modified the pole    giving it extra strength so that it does not wobble   at the top, when going fast    i have 6 blades fitted    and during the last weekend    it was flying  with the winds  with no  way of slowing it  down without the controller connected with the brake   so i had to use a plastic  pole with a loop on the end   and strap it to the blade   and then to the post  which did the trick
so i am in limbo at the moment   and will be glad to get the new controller fitted  to see what its going to put   to my 24 v battery bank     with all the comments and reports so far i am not holdling my breath,   its been interesting reading folks,   and i will update   on the performance   when the new one is fitted and get some more winds   bye folks  mickmm
kernelpower

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »

Yes mate you def need to stop the wobble wont do any good at all, If you have been bitten by the bug already what are you waiting for build a turbine , its a lot of fun.
sputnik

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »

We're definitely not alone.........:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/istabreeze-500-product-experience-100219.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/istabreeze-500-need-help-who-s-got-experience-100112.html

Sound familiar?

Below is a copy of an email I wrote to Istabreeze.co.uk a few months back:

Dear Ista Breeze UK,
I am writing to you regarding the 24v Ista Breeze wind gen that I purchased from you a few weeks ago. To be honest I'm very disappointed with it's performance.

I have it mounted on a 6.5m pole, on the roof of my narrow boat which is approximately 2m high; 8.5m in total. the power curve and promotional material that relates to the generator states that it it's start up speed is 3.5 ms or 6.8 knots. In fact the blades don't even begin to  turn below 15 knots, nearly twice the figures given.

The power output is also way off, The unit claims to produce 100w at 5m/s and just above 500w at 15m/s; this is nonsense. I have observed a maximum amp input into my 24v system of just 6 amps, and that at the point at which the blades stall. Even when the blades have been turning rapidly I have recorded voltages at much less than 24v, that's not going to add anything to a 24v system and only watched the volts rise to 30v, briefly, at blade stall. I connected the generator to a 12v system, temporarily, to see if I'd been sent a 12v model by mistake but still saw only 10 amps recorded at stall speed. That's just 144w, nowhere near the 500w that the generator is 'rated' at.

During some pretty strong winds here a couple of weeks ago the generator clocked up just 3.7ah into my system over the course of the night and next morning with batteries at only half charge, which is woeful.

I have had a Rutland 913 wind generator fitted to my yacht for the last 6 years and always had good results and no trouble from it. The blades fitted to your Ista Breeze unit, when stalling, make the most horrendous concussive roar, like nothing I've heard from a wind gen before, and as a cruising yachtsman I've seen many. It is so bad in fact that I've had to take the unit down for fear of upsetting my neighbors.

One of the knurled knobs on the rectifier/controller fell off the brass nut when being tightened, finger tight. I am not impressed with the build quality of that piece of equipment either.

I have tried to contact you on the number given on the sticker that was fixed to the controller but that got me through to a wire stripper supply company. Eventually I was able to contact your company by telephone, and did so twice with the promise that someone, when available, would get back to me but this offer was not forthcoming on either occasion.

I don't believe that the product information or claims about it's performance or output are true or correct. The unit is therefore useless to me and I respectfully ask that I may return it to you for a full refund.

Please advise......

And the reply:

'Please send images of the set up.'

That's it, no 'regards', explanation, apology, nothing......

I just hope that the truth about these things is finally getting out there and people stop falling for the made-up claims etc.

However I'm not used to giving up easily............. I have noticed that the pitch on the blades seems way less than an Air-breeze turbine (of which these Ista's seem to be a copy), My dilemma now is whether to spend more money on new blades when the rotor may just be total carp too........Huh?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:41:05 PM by sputnik » Logged
kernelpower

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 09:16:01 PM »

Turbine sounds like a load of garbage.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 09:37:36 PM »

Sputnik,
       You are letting them off too easy.draft a sales listing ,such as you would put on fleabay,
    Explain in your listing that you dont expect to get a lot of money for your dud wind turbine because,,,,,,,,,
    Then go on to explain what a rotten pile of carp the whole thing is,explain  that it never worked,explain that the company refuses to respond in any way,explain that you have now discovered other people with similar model/make wind turbines which are behaving exactly the same way.
   So what you are doing is,,telling folks that buying a turbine off this company is not a good idea.
    Draft your listing details and send a copy to this company and tell them that you are forced to sell your wind turbine on fleabay and ask them do they approve of the particular explaination accompanying the listing ,,a 99 pence start and a month listing.If you do it right,they will reply.Then add their reply to the details and list it on ebay.
                You will not get much money out of it,but you will have the satisfaction of rubbing their nose in it.
                              That should make you feel a lot better.
                                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
clockmanFR

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »

Just had a look at this. Still on ebay at now £199.  facepalm

At 103cm diameter, at 10m/s wind, at 20% (normal) efficiency, then real output is about 98w.

At 17.5m/s (near 40mph) wind then you might get about 500w.

see...  http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wind-power-d_1214.html

Love there power curve, normal Wind turbine power curves are nothing like.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
clockmanFR

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 09:44:22 PM »

With Biff.

I have seen a 99p posting in the eba.y Chinky Inverter section, saying "don't buy this because....."

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »

Its even worse than the aelous 300,
                              It had a 1500mm prop but the insides again were carp.The only way to get any satisfaction out of this is to blab the whole story on a listing on fleabay.Make it as humourous as possible.Humour is the big one.Make fun of it, Redicule it.Not just for your sake but for the 100s of people who might be temped to buy this load of rubbish and then think that all wind turbines are like that.
        We want people to get good results and grow to love their turbines.
                                                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Billy
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 08:21:36 AM »

I say old chap -"Love my Turnip" - that's a bit strong. What have people been saying?  So we go to the cinema a couple of times a month, what's wrong with that, nothing in it you know.  Grin
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2013, 09:32:51 AM »

But,Billy,!
        I actually do love my turbine,I look out the window and see it facing into the cruel north winds that would cut you to the bone and week after week,month after month,year after it year it performs impecabily.
   I never had a machine that could make my heart beat so fast,especially with the big oversize blades in a force 10,There is was clocking up over 3kw and me hanging on by the fingernails.Yes I love my wind turbine.
     PV is quiet and efficent,no noise,no hassle,very little excitment but if you want a taste of "Yee old wild frontier" you have to fly a wind turbine. genuflect
                                                                  Biff

clivejo

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »

I would gather as much evidence and take the case to Trading Standards (http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/).  If they are operating in the UK and lying about the product, then you should have a very strong case.  Another would be to go to Ann Robinson on Watchdog ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/ ), she is viscous, but its funny seeing the companies "spokes" person squirm and sweat under the pressure.    hysteria

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
Billy
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2013, 02:02:55 PM »

Hey Biff,

No one comes to visit when it's windy.  They have to run the gauntlet of the "blades of death".  Even I am 'afeared' of the beast.  A mate's old Rutland, the one with the round blade root, let go the other year.  We only ever found three of the blades. 

I would describe my relationship as being a love-hate thing, exciting yes but worrying too.
kernelpower

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2013, 04:02:18 PM »

Biffs idea is a good one make sure you mention all relevant details of the type of turbine and how rubbish it is Smiley
mickmm

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »

Hi  folks  just an update  from my last post    the  replacement controller  arrived today     and   thought i would get it fitted as soon as possible as the winds   were quite strong
i connected it all up    and turned on the switch to the battery bank   and all it did was click inside  like the relay operation    no lights came on as they supposed to   so i turned it off and on a couple of times but no    just the clicking     noise   i got called to the telephone  and my wife heard a bang  and you could smell the burning electrical  items,   so thats another one bites the dust ??     i have been on Ebay  to try to  get a refund  but it says i am out of time  for the money back promise  fume   and its their fault  that all the time has been wasted   so  i so far have not had    light out of the turbine   i have it in stalled mode at the moment   and have just strengthened  the pole   i must admit it does fly round with the 6 blades instead of the 3
  It looks like i might get a separate rectification  unit   and use another type of  controller i have   that has a dump feature    on it with the correct wiring configuration
i have sent Istabreeze another email  showing my disgust at the Turkish   rubbish they are selling    the thing is i have to keep paying the return postage   and its no fault of mine
I await there reply  to see what the explanation is this time    yet another week to wait for a reply   to see what can  be done 
 What i  did ask them is   why do the insides of the unit rattle about  just like its just thrown in with  the p c b  and other components    perhaps that's the cause  of it going bang  as its a metal case   with electrical   connections inside   i have not  left any feedback as yet   so that will be interesting     although it never allows enough space to say what you want    bye   mickmm
sputnik

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2013, 06:06:56 PM »

Glad you've sent them an email.
Here's one I sent them a few days ago, needless to say I haven't had a reply:

Well M***in it looks like the word is finally getting out there, NOT to buy a useless Ista breeze wind gen.

I would advise you to stop selling them forthwidth.
I sent you an extensive email months ago demanding a refund, I explained the trouble I was having but you sent a terse reply. I now find that many people around the world are having the same problems as me.

Our problems have nothing to do with the way in which we have installed them. They are just total c**p.

I hope that no one else ever has the misfortune of wasting their hard earned cash on one of these damned things!

Disgusted,.........

My controller also burned out almost straight away. I have some new kit to try out, mainly so that I can video the results to put on my spoof ebay listing but we're moored under a damn tree at the moment and can't put the b***er up.........

Perhaps we should try to get as many people who have bought these things together and go to trading standards......
C.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:18:03 PM by sputnik » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: