navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new 500 watt wind turbine fitted having problems already  (Read 37024 times)
mickmm

« on: September 22, 2013, 07:45:18 PM »

Hi everyone   just fitted a 500 watt  ac turbine  and a hybrid  controler     this  is a 24v a/c  one   and came from Ireland,    very good delivery   from Ebay    its a Esta breeze   type 500i
 i got it all wired up   with an isolator  and an in-line fuse   through  a 700 watt controller,    problem so far it will not go round   even in some strong winds   last week,   it just seems to want to move  from side to side  and round in a horizontal  movement   it was up at about   18 ft    at this time   on a summerhouse roof.     i have 4 pv panels  feeding a controller  and 6 deep cycle batteries   which   goes through   a 2400watt inverter   everything works great   and as the winter is on its way. i just wanted to get some help perhaps over night  with the wind turbine   to give some extra  boost to the battery bank,   i was told it does not work because of some turbulence   so i    have now decided  to move the whole turbine   and fixed it on my gable end  of my bungalow       its now at about    28ft   with no surrounding buildings   or trees   but even after having   some wind  not strong    but its there moving some trees in the distance     it still does  not seem to want to rotate      i have plumbed it up  vertical  in both ways   can someone  advise me  as to how to balance the blades???    its has 3  carbon fibre  type,   seem very thin at the end   but they are the ones supplied with it,    will it make any difference  by ballancing the blades?Huh?
In desperation   i am considering  fitting a set of carbon fibre ones  a set of 6    which i bought  a while ago when i was going to build   my own  turbine    but decided aginst it   after seeng how cheap  the manufactured ones are      but now i feel that i may have done the wrong thing     any advice  will be appreciated     before i put the whole  set on Ebay  and stick to PV      thanks   Mickmm
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:32:28 AM by mickmm » Logged
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 08:13:57 PM »

Hi Mickm,

sorry to hear your woes but when I hear things like 18' above the ground, summer house roof and gable end alarm bells start ringing. Wind turbines need good clean air to work not the gusty turbulent stuff found near houses, trees and in built up areas.

Sell the turbine, buy more PV, your turbine is exhibiting all the signs of the wrong 'location location location' http://scoraigwind.com/citywinds/index.htm much has been written on this subject by the likes of Hugh Piggott and Paul Gipe.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:05:59 PM »

Hi Mickm,
        I am very sorry to hear of your troubles,It might be because your battery bank is already full up,If your PV is feeding into the same bank then the little turbine is not going to get a look in while the sun shine bright,the controller might be set to dump(brake) at 28volts,so it will just turn slowly.
  I got a suspicion that your prop is under 1500mm in diameter and if that is the case,it will take a hurricane to shift it.I would take it down from the gable of the house as soon as possible.
     You can attach a power drill to it (be very very carefull)and check its output but check to see if its going round freely and that it has not got anything loose inside.I dont know much about these apart from seeing them flooding Fleabay,so I dont know if they are good or bad.
      Paul,s idea about flogging it and buying more PV might be the best.
                                                                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
martin

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 10:55:53 PM »

I'm with Paul - I read the words "on a summerhouse roof" and immediately said "that's the problem" - roofs and turbines just don't mix (turbulence!)
Here's the MD of the now rightly defunct Windsave company (purveyors of roof-mounted chocolate teapots) admitting you'd be lucky to see a tenner's worth of electricity per annum from one mounted on a roof................

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WVo0WvuX7K0?version=3&amp;amp" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/WVo0WvuX7K0?version=3&amp;amp</a>

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
clivejo

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »

Check the electrical connections.  With a dead short on the AC it will feel like the brakes are on.  Is it 3 phase?  if so disconnect the 3 wires and test i with a meter.

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 04:25:24 PM »

Sorry to be another gloom monger but I would not have a turbine on the gable.
I have a little chinese jobby at the far of the garden 50m+ from the house on a 9 m mast it still suffers from turbulence when the wind is from that direction.
I bought it for exactly the same reason as you,with perfect hindsite the money would have been better spent on more PV, but it is fun fingers crossed!
Good luck.

Kidwelly South Wales
mickmm

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 05:15:50 PM »

Hi everyone   many thanks for all the replies   just to clarify    it is the a.c  type   with an a/c to D C  hybrid  controller    i know  its on the gable end   and its   about  3 metres   above the ridge    but it still sounds   like  its not going to be any  good   at the moment   
I will check the wiring   for a dead short  although     it was all ok when i was wiring it up on the bench   to go onto the pole    i used a plug   the type  that you connect a strimmer or mower  up    as it has 3 off set connections  and wrapped it in self amalgamated tape  before inserting it in the pole   
If i dont have any luck  with  putting a 6 blades hub  on it   then its going on Ebay  and like others say more  PV  and perhaps   enlarge my storage battery bank   
i am enjoying the challenge  in trying to  get  it working   i have had it disconnected  to see if the brake was operating but it made no difference
 a friend   of mine has one   on his  gable  with guy wires    and every time i go by  its  spinning   around  loads   he is only about  1/2 mile away and in a densely  populated area   that's why a did not have any negative thoughts about doing it,   so its onwards and upwards ,    then if all fails i will give it a miss
martin

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 05:29:20 PM »

"and every time i go by  its  spinning   around  loads " - as you'll probably find, "spinning round" is not by itself an indication that it's doing anything useful - the important thing is to have a meter on the output that you can watch and equate with the turbine's spinning - you'll find it has to be going at one helluva lick before the charging starts...........

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 05:55:53 PM »

Like Tod says,
               Its good fun but its a pity you cannot get it going.If it will not fly when you disconnect it from the batts,then there is something badly wrong.
         I once assembled a 600watt turbine of a brand that had exellent credentials.It was 24volt like yours.I stuck it up on a pole and it just diddled about in a force 6."Oh Dear" says I,,"not good".
        So I took it down and examined it,it was quite stiff to turn as well,in fact there was something badly wrong,
        The hub had slid up the shaft underneath the flange on the face of the alt,in such a way that I could not see it properly during assembly,Silly me thought that it would stop automnatically in the right spot but instead it was rubbing on the face of the alt inside the water shedding flange.I should have spun it but I never thought,I had already checked it over and found it perfect,So 6 double rounds of cooking foil later,between the hub and shaft,I sent it up and it performed perfect,
                                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
agrarian

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:31:39 PM »

Hello mickmm,

I'm sorry you have a tale of woe to tell, but we all have them of one sort or another, they're all right about pv getting cheaper all the time, and turbines not being very effective in town but a silent, flat, inanimate panel has non of the character of a turbine, you can't watch it turn to find the wind, or accelerate smartly up to battery voltage. Press your ear to the turbine mast and you can you can listen to it's humming heart ( and any dodgy bearings you might have ). Pv has been enjoying the summer but winter's coming and turbines remind us of their usefulness. I hope you solve your problems, you'll find relevant threads on here, good luck.

Ag

2 x Yangzhou Shenzhou 2KW , 1.2KW pv, 540Ah@120v deep cycle, 2 x 2KW sine wave, off grid on a Snowdonia mountain. Never forget that the power varies as the CUBE of the windspeed.
marshman

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »

If it is not turning at all then there must be a short on at least one of the outputs - it could be the rectifier in the controller - even in turbulent air the blades should spin some of the time. Having said that I agree with all the comments on here about the location and likely lack of real useful output and as Martin said just because a turbine is spinning doesn't mean its producing anything useful. When I had my Futurenergy turbine it would spend hours whirling away but when I looked at what had been generated it was often immeasurable, only when we got winds of 20mph + did it really dig in and get going.

I agree with Agrarian about a turbine being interesting to look at - I miss mine quite badly - I often look up to where it was just to get an idea of how strong the wind is and what direction and its not there Sad Feels like I've lost an old friend!

Roger

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
sputnik

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »

Sorry to bring up an older thread but.....

I bought one of these Ista Breeze turbines and had (have) a similar issue with it. Mines on an 8m pole fitted to the top of my narrowboat. We're in a fairly exposed position. I found that it just won't turn until the wind speed is over 20 knots. At this point is turns quite fast but produces almost no power <1amp @24v. When the wind speed rose to around 25 knots the blades stall, making a horrendous noise, turning the turbine through 180 degrees and stopping. I noted that at the point of stall the unit produced just 5 amps @ 24v.

I have had to take the unit down so as to avoid complaints from the neighbours. I've never heard a wind gen make such a racket and I've seen a few being a cruising yachtsman in my time.

I also note that there's a reviewer on Amazon who's had a very similar experience with these turbines.

I took the rectifier/controller apart the other day and noted that the circuit board is showing signs of serious overheating. This from just an hour or two of intermittent running as the damn thing just wouldn't spin in light to medium airs (<20 knots).
The hub seems free enough.
I'm now looking at fitting a 300w navitron, but before I do is there anything that I could try to save the Ista Breeze from the bin?

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 05:46:08 PM »

Hi Sputnik,
          The outlook regarding the istabreeze is not good after what you told us.Maybe the controller is a dud.You could invest in a set of bridge rectifiers and just use another controller to divert to dump.
       But if it is making a noise like you say,its not what you want to hear.
                                               Biff

martin

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »

To be honest, in your situation I'd probably go for something "made for the job" - a good old-fashioned Marlec (Rutland) - they work, they're quiet, and if you do have problems the company are nice to deal with

camillitech

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »

To be honest, in your situation I'd probably go for something "made for the job" - a good old-fashioned Marlec (Rutland) - they work, they're quiet, and if you do have problems the company are nice to deal with

I'll second that Martin, I fitted something similar to one of those Ista thingymabobs to the mad Frenchman's boat some years ago. That horrendous vibration is the stupid 'electronic brake' which basically shorts the phases and induces terrifiv vibrations throughout the boat  sh*tfan

welcome to the forum and good luck  Wink

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: