navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easterdown off grid is going ahead!  (Read 14532 times)
camillitech

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »

Nice/good post  Alba .... thanks

If you plan to have a generator for a long time,  maybe instead of grid tie, then a good strong Lister is the way to go.

If I'd have suggested that Billi would have crucified me  hysteria  hysteria  hysteria

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2013, 09:01:58 PM »

Days of the Lister Legend  are counted Paul  Wink

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
camillitech

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2013, 09:06:47 PM »

Days of the Lister Legend  are counted Paul  Wink

And I'm fitting 4kw of PV and selling my wind turbine  hysteria  hysteria  hysteria  Cool

Oh, and by the way V, steer clear of wind turbines unless you live by the coast.

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
AlanM

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »

"Oh, and by the way V, steer clear of wind turbines unless you live by the coast."

Or on top of a hill...?

Alan

camillitech

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2013, 09:26:42 PM »

"Oh, and by the way V, steer clear of wind turbines unless you live by the coast."

Or on top of a hill...?

Alan

Or on top of a hill  Roll Eyes that'll be the red wine Alan  Grin

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2013, 09:38:50 PM »

Or on top of a hill...?

Alan

or on a boat in  the canaries  whistlie

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
V

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2013, 09:57:48 PM »

Alba, Camillitech, Billi, all of you,  I am overwhelmed by these wonderful and generous posts. Before posting here I had been asking myself over and over, Can Mike and I really do this, but with your guidance I feel we getting to the Obama moment of " YES WE CAN! ".

I spent part of this morning talking to a friend about Generators. One idea he floated was that the Listers and older generators work better with the charge controllers/inverters. Something to do with harmonics from the engine being simpler and not upsetting electronics in the controllers. I'm afraid I need an education about generators too.

So, wind turbines only on the coast? Or a Hill? Why?

9.7 kW of Solar PV, 3x 3000 SMA Sunny Boys, 1x SMA Sunny Island  8.0 and 1848 aH (C10) of FLA - 3.3kVA Honda generator converted to LPG
camillitech

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2013, 10:11:33 PM »

So, wind turbines only on the coast? Or a Hill? Why?

It's a question of economics V, much as I love my Proven and its eight years of faultless service through 'thick and thin', the price of PV has plummeted to such a degree that it really makes no sense unless you are 'off grid', hands on, and in a very windy spot. It sounds like you and Mike fulfill at least two requirements but unless you've got the third forget it.

As for generators, yes, there is only one and his name is Mr Lister, preferably an ST or SR 2 these are the best 'off grid' generators ever made and were standard issue as mains failure sets in police stations, banks, Woolworths, telecoms, and MOD establishments. Even now forty year old ones with only 50 hours running can still be found for around 1000.

Good luck, Paul

V

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2013, 10:18:01 PM »

And someone mentioned a PMG? Permanent Magnet something, I'm guessing. How does that fit in, if it does, and where do you get them?

9.7 kW of Solar PV, 3x 3000 SMA Sunny Boys, 1x SMA Sunny Island  8.0 and 1848 aH (C10) of FLA - 3.3kVA Honda generator converted to LPG
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2013, 10:37:47 PM »

Here is my  choice at the moment  for a diesel generator   , watercooled for heating house in winter   , automated start ..... perhaps not so efficient alternator ..... whistlie......  , not as a permanent worker more like a helper ..... we PV people do not rely on Diesel anymore so much as the last generation  crack

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Diesel-Generator-24-Volt-Farymann-Motor-1500W-wassergekhlt-Blockheizkraftwerk-/271206527259
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:40:33 PM by billi » Logged

dhaslam

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2013, 10:39:36 PM »

Permanent Magnet Generators  now  normally  come from China.    The permanent magnets they use are very strong so  the generators are very efficient and  one of their advantages is that they can operate at low  speeds, this means they don't have to be geared up  to be  used with slow rotating wind turbines and  ancient diesel engines.   There are sometimes  ones for sale on ebay but they may have to be purchased from China  if a specific  output or  operational speed  is needed.

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
camillitech

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2013, 10:41:42 PM »

And someone mentioned a PMG? Permanent Magnet something, I'm guessing. How does that fit in, if it does, and where do you get them?

Forget PMG in your instance V, buy a proper and genuine Lister Power Plant generator with a Brush alternator, not this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LISTER-SR3-GENERATOR-/141068707232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20d859a5a0 as it's too big, but a two cylinder version. That way you will always have power, if your inverter fails or some disaster befalls you with your batteries or solar panels. Mr Lister is your 'lifeboat' when all else goes to 5h1t. CS and FR versions are fine if you want to go down the CHP route but your aim is to run him a little as possible but, to know that after a years idleness he'll start and keep your fridge running and lights burning.

Good luck, Paul

V

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2013, 11:10:26 PM »

We are hoping to get into Phase 1 (explained on blog at easterdown.co.uk) by the New year. I absolutely take on board that we don't want to rush into our off grid setup. So could we live and power from this version of Mr Lister, and then let it retire with elegance in deference to the next generation of our off grid system, only called upon like a dear grandpapa to solve problems as they arise?
(its late and a bit of red wine talking here)

camillitech

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2013, 11:17:42 PM »

We are hoping to get into Phase 1 (explained on blog at easterdown.co.uk) by the New year. I absolutely take on board that we don't want to rush into our off grid setup. So could we live and power from this version of Mr Lister, and then let it retire with elegance in deference to the next generation of our off grid system, only called upon like a dear grandpapa to solve problems as they arise?
(its late and a bit of red wine talking here)

You have it in one V and M, buy Mr Lister to see you through the build then seek to retire him ASAP in the sure knowledge that after several years of inactivity he will still start first time and 'pull you out of the 5h1t'. This has always been my philosophy, a Lister is like a Golf or Seiko watch, it will not let you down  genuflect 

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2013, 11:21:03 PM »

I am not sure about the Lister V,
                               Some of them can have a kind of green faded colour not the proper emerald green colour and some of them smoke and defy the new ban, Never mind Paul,they sent him off to" Listers anonymous" and he ended up in "Lister Are Us" instead.I have tried to help him aquire some nice chinese "changa" diesels. "Changa" is the chinese for "Absolute pefection" but its no use,He is hooked on old Listers.
            Someday I will visit Raasay in a white transit van full of changa= "Absolute Perfections" and the joy of his recovery will be a miracle to behold,
                                                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: