navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easterdown off grid is going ahead!  (Read 14338 times)
camillitech

« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2013, 11:26:16 PM »

I am not sure about the Lister V,
                               Some of them can have a kind of green faded colour not the proper emerald green colour and some of them smoke and defy the new ban, Never mind Paul,they sent him off to" Listers anonymous" and he ended up in "Lister Are Us" instead.I have tried to help him aquire some nice chinese "changa" diesels. "Changa" is the chinese for "Absolute pefection" but its no use,He is hooked on old Listers.
            Someday I will visit Raasay in a white transit van full of changa= "Absolute Perfections" and the joy of his recovery will be a miracle to behold,
                                                             Biff

Biff you old devil, it's Changfa http://www.changfanz.com/cf_cpzs_e.aspx?id=31&cpid=58 and yes you're right I'm a member of 'LA'  hysteria

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
V

« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2013, 11:44:16 PM »

Hmmm... the pitfalls of buying lots of kit all at once that I don't know how to use... Lister or Chanfanz... getting sleepy... sleepy....

I'll have to come back to you tomorrow with more questions and fears.

Many thanks. This is going to work out, I reckon.

9.7 kW of Solar PV, 3x 3000 SMA Sunny Boys, 1x SMA Sunny Island  8.0 and 1848 aH (C10) of FLA - 3.3kVA Honda generator converted to LPG
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2013, 11:53:34 PM »

This is going to work out, I reckon.

Me toooo  with PV prices at about 50 pence per watt

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
clockmanFR

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »

"So, wind turbines only on the coast? Or a Hill? Why"?

"And someone mentioned a PMG? Permanent Magnet something, I'm guessing. How does that fit in, if it does, and where do you get them?"

Wind Turbines need good clean air, no turbulence from nearby buildings trees etc. They need to be sighted so they get the prevailing winds. The Chinese and some unscrupulous traders always quote the turbines output if there was a Hurricane blowing.
I normally say for our Hugh Piggotts design of 3.7m diameter of an output of 1kw. And yes one of my Turbines has been in an Official French Hurricane.  http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17156.0.html  You can see me making a PMG.
Hugh's design is probably one of the worlds most cost effective, simple, robust and highly efficient design at getting energy from the wind.

I make/manufacture them here, but this one will be my last, as NO DOUBT about IT the price of PV generation is now cheaper than all materials etc for one of my Wind Turbines at 1200, (that's everything, steel, fiberglass, mast etc).

So, I am designing and manufacturing 'cost effective 2 axis, PV panel Solar Trackers', so I can carry on my tradition of sticking something up in the air whistlie. see.... http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20386.0.html  Doing a DIY book on how to make your own. Complete Tracker material costs about 700 then the PV panels, and a MPPT controller. Note, even on dull murky days your PV through a MPPT controller will give you a good 10% of the rated output.

Diesel Generators seem on this forum to be 'toys for boys', but if you do not have Grid then there is little else, except billi's Hydro lake option, Nice one Billi  genuflect.
 If you have grid then a generator set up will not be cost effective against the Grid suppliers Kwh. Unless the generator is running on biodiesel or something cheaply and reliably sourced.  

Pic1.... of my manufactured PMG, rated at 60vac, 3 phase, 40c to 60c at constant 1kw output, open structure so good cooling characteristics. weight approx 35kg.

Pic 2....3 PMG's chinky jobs, 2 in background are 220vac, 3 phase, rated at 5kw, (however without cooling probably 2 to 3kw). weight about 95kgs each.
The smaller one is chinky rated at 3kw, 50vac, 3 phase, weight about 30kgs, (but its small and needs cooling, will further test it soon but probably good at 1kw). All these Chinky's will need pulling apart and new bearings fitted and the insides inspected carefully. I have already replaced the windings wire to exterior wire as the rubber coated wire had disentergrated, (not rubber) and the coils were shorting out.
These chinky  hysteria hysteria onpatrol  projects are my retirement jobs.......

* P3040428a.jpg (92.57 KB, 696x522 - viewed 297 times.)

* P4110087a.jpg (94.77 KB, 522x696 - viewed 265 times.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:19:04 AM by clockmanFR » Logged

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
Alba

« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2013, 03:38:53 PM »

Hmmm... the pitfalls of buying lots of kit all at once that I don't know how to use

Don't be overwhelmed V
Start simple..... PV is so cheap so whack up as much as you can. All those panels are really only one element to your system  Smiley 8 ROLLS batteries (with hydro caps) wired in series 48V is just a big battery so only one element again. A MPPT charge controller and Inverter/charger (connected and communicating together) again only one element.
It's living with the system thats the hard part in the beginning. Fine tuning the settings to suit your needs, taking care of the batts, charging them properly. Getting into the routine of when to run the dishwasher, washing machine etc etc bike
Even if you have a good location for a wind turbine, IMO, I would leave that for a year  Roll Eyes
Generator is easier in the beginning, if it can produce a quality AC 2kw output(not rated at 2kw), that would suffice to help charge the batts

Ali
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2013, 04:35:50 PM »

Vicky,
PV is easy relatively cheap and just works. Washing the bird poo off is just about all the work they need
Wind turbines are fun but you really do need a good site,  they need maintenance and love.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
V

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2013, 08:24:13 PM »

Don't be overwhelmed V

Thanks for this. You can have no idea how I felt while I tried to get the courage to write to this forum. I was terrified that I wouldn't get a single reply and this was looking like my last hope.

Met with Wayne Peters from http://www.forest-builder.com/  (advice Camillitech on my first thread) at Easterdown this afternoon. WOW. This really could work well for us. He prefers a ground array of PV, so we can tilt it to suit the seasons. So we could try this out:

So, I am designing and manufacturing 'cost effective 2 axis, PV panel Solar Trackers', so I can carry on my tradition of sticking something up in the air whistlie. see.... http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20386.0.html  Doing a DIY book on how to make your own. Complete Tracker material costs about 700 then the PV panels, and a MPPT controller. Note, even on dull murky days your PV through a MPPT controller will give you a good 10% of the rated output.

We have plenty of space. He is happy for us to work with him to install and would teach us how to use and not abuse the system.

His proposed system is based around Victron and his own Arduino add-ins. Price seemed good. I'm going to venture into the Arduino playpen soon to control the next generation of my cheese finishing fridges, so the open source hardware route doesn't put me off. But would I be missing a trick if I committed to a partly-bespoke control system?

9.7 kW of Solar PV, 3x 3000 SMA Sunny Boys, 1x SMA Sunny Island  8.0 and 1848 aH (C10) of FLA - 3.3kVA Honda generator converted to LPG
camillitech

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »

Hi V,

His proposed system is based around Victron and his own Arduino add-ins. Price seemed good. I'm going to venture into the Arduino playpen soon to control the next generation of my cheese finishing fridges, so the open source hardware route doesn't put me off. But would I be missing a trick if I committed to a partly-bespoke control system?

Tricky one that V, I spoke with him at length over the phone about this and was most impressed with what he described. It made me ever so slightly cautious though as we're a gazillion miles away, however you're just down the road and to my way of thinking that's worth a lot. It's why I get much of my kit, advice and system designs from Hugh Piggott, he knows what he's talking about and 'he's just down the road'. That in my book is worth far more than a few quid saved importing stuff from the US, Germany or China.

Why don't you ask to see some of his installations and speak to customers.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
V

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2013, 09:09:30 PM »

Tricky one that V, I spoke with him at length over the phone about this and was most impressed with what he described. It made me ever so slightly cautious though as we're a gazillion miles away, however you're just down the road and to my way of thinking that's worth a lot.

That's what we are thinking as well. His explanation of why he is programming the Victron the way he does made a lot of sense to us. And yes,  having a smart, experienced 'good friend' just down the road strikes me as valuable beyond rubies.

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2013, 09:58:18 PM »

Jepp , Victon is my clever  programmable inverter friend  as well ,  since years, with no problem and good contact helpline  to Holland for me  Smiley  (i use this more for information )

outback as well ........ amazing service , but had chargecontroller  issues (display )   ....  ,but replacement service was spot on 

Sunny Island  inverter is  a very good choice as well , you will find good support/  advice here  , as well as for the Victron  Smiley

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: