navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are the 2 volt cells in the center of my string not getting charged fully?  (Read 10347 times)
martin

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »

I admire your honesty!  - we've all made daft mistakes, it takes cojones to admit them! genuflect

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Iain

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2013, 04:47:50 PM »

Hi Magnus
I use one of these, so takes the draw from the whole 24 volt bank and provides 12volts. So should overcome that problem.

http://www.alfatronix.eu/1481-powerverter-24vdc-12vdc-voltage-converters.php

Normally quite a few on eBay various sizes
Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
martin

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2013, 05:05:28 PM »

Agreed, they're good pieces of kit, and pretty efficient!

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Tinbum

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »

I come across this all the time with people connecting 12v equipment in a 24v vehicle. For the sake of saving a few they knacker their battery. Even the very smallest load will result in one battery failing.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
bxman

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2013, 09:06:13 PM »

Delighted to hear thing are getting back in balance for you Marcus .  Lucky it only a couple of months  it should not have done to much damage .

when  you originally posted  you said -

"  the 3 batteries closest the positive terminal needed 300 cc water.  the 3 batteries nearest the negative terminal needed 200 cc water and the 6 in the middle were still on the max water line.  "

I am puzzled .     

Can anyone explain why  there was a difference in the amount of water gassed off between the different ends of the entire bank

all those 6 cells were subjected to the same degree of overcharge.
Eleanor

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 10:18:05 PM »

Magnus, glad that you found the cause of the problem and your cells are recovering. It's interesting as it sort of corresponds with the debate bxman and I were having. Bxman, I think I understand what you meant now. In "my thread" there was a suggestion by a couple of Forum luminaries that it would be a good idea to put a small load eg light bulb across the cells which were charging at a higher voltage to bring the voltage down so that other cells could charge at a higher voltage. This was before it was realised that in my case the cells were different. Your idea seems to use other cells from the pack to take the place of the light bulbs and do the same thing.

Magnus, it seems that you were putting a small load across some of the cells and reducing their charging voltage so they could never be fully charged ..........  keep on doing daft things like this and you'll end up being a Moderator  Grin

[PS You have a long way to go on doing silly things before you catch up with me  Roll Eyes]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:21:03 PM by Eleanor » Logged

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2013, 04:59:00 AM »

Glad to hear the news .....

Now you can float  ..... how i wish, i would have a constant stream .....

Batteries , that are built to last , must be very cheap , if constantly charged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
magnus

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2013, 10:10:43 AM »

all batteries are holding between 2.01 and 2.25 in the bank now (2.23 being the ideal).  that is within specs, so i will leave it alone for awhile to allow the cells to adjust themselves with repeat discharge/charge cycles.

i am still trying to wrap my brain around amps and flow of electrons. 

the clamp on amp reader is very useful to understand where the amps are moving.  ultimately this is what led me to realize that .7 amps were going to the stereo and NOT to the center 6 during float charge and even the last few hours of absorption in PWM. 

luckily the 9 watt load was hooked up for less than 60 days, so i think there will be no permanent damage to a very nice bank.

Our Blog of the Self Sufficient Fruit Farm project can be found here, we are located on Flores, Azores, PT
http://magnusandkonswan.blogspot.com
magnus

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2013, 10:32:56 AM »

Hi Magnus
I use one of these, so takes the draw from the whole 24 volt bank and provides 12volts. So should overcome that problem.

http://www.alfatronix.eu/1481-powerverter-24vdc-12vdc-voltage-converters.php

Normally quite a few on eBay various sizes
Iain

thanks for the tip, i am in contact with the company now!

Our Blog of the Self Sufficient Fruit Farm project can be found here, we are located on Flores, Azores, PT
magnus

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2013, 10:39:09 AM »

Glad to hear the news .....

Now you can float  ..... how i wish, i would have a constant stream .....

Batteries , that are built to last , must be very cheap , if constantly charged

billi, i need a translation.  this seems like a Koan to me, what do you mean?

now the rain has started, i could run a second turbine if i could afford it.  so much water!!!!!

Eleanor

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »

all batteries are holding between 2.01 and 2.25 in the bank now (2.23 being the ideal).  that is within specs, so i will leave it alone for awhile to allow the cells to adjust themselves with repeat discharge/charge cycles.

the clamp on amp reader is very useful to understand where the amps are moving.  ultimately this is what led me to realize that .7 amps were going to the stereo and NOT to the center 6 during float charge and even the last few hours of absorption in PWM. 

luckily the 9 watt load was hooked up for less than 60 days, so i think there will be no permanent damage to a very nice bank.

Magnus, 2.01V is very low. Have you done any SG measurements on the cells to check their state of charge?

Is this the data sheet you are using :

www.tab.com.es/Documentos/Opzs/NAVODILA%20-%20Operating%20instructions%20for%20stationary%20batteries%202009.pdf

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
magnus

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2013, 11:42:49 AM »

Magnus, 2.01V is very low. Have you done any SG measurements on the cells to check their state of charge?

Is this the data sheet you are using :

www.tab.com.es/Documentos/Opzs/NAVODILA%20-%20Operating%20instructions%20for%20stationary%20batteries%202009.pdf

i made a typo on that, it should read 2.21, not 2.01!!   it is great to know that you are reading my posts in detail though. 

any yes, that link is the PDF that i am using to program my TS 60 with.

thoughts??

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: