navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inverter for grid tie AND off-grid?  (Read 3322 times)
daserra

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 11:15:06 PM »

daserra,

Purely out of curiosity why would you want to go off grid when you are on grid as opposed to just minimising your on grid consumption to near zero ?

Ken

Partly the cost as we have large standing charges, secondly I like to provide for myself, perhaps my achilles heel but it's served me well up until now. If I can make a large investment and then not need to worry about energy expenses until my batteries need replacing I'll be happy.

We also use 27kwH/day at the moment as our hot water is electric also but this won't be for long. I have lived on 0.4kwH per day before, I just didn't like it much.

Rammed earth/ytong PassivFrankenHaus.
In the hills in Southern Portugal.
Borehole, on-grid.
Home made pool solar.
daserra

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 11:19:07 PM »

In the summer the pool pump runs longer and I'll be dumping excess energy to AC. Also if I angle my panels to optimise for winter (they won't be tracked) the consumption matches production quite nicely.

Rammed earth/ytong PassivFrankenHaus.
In the hills in Southern Portugal.
Borehole, on-grid.
Home made pool solar.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: