navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Service with a smile  (Read 4219 times)
offthegridandy

« on: October 26, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »

I've known that Mr Lister (the genny) was over due for a service so I decided that today was the day.  I've had the filters sitting on the bench for weeks now.  Trouble with having the PV keeping the batteries topped up during the summer is that one can get a bit blase.  I don't want to confess to how many hours over due the service is.  Alright then 150 hrs over due.

Now as I regard Mr Lister as vital and deserving of the best he gets only genuine parts, none of your motor factor filters at half price.

With the drain plug being close to the floor I have developed the following bodgers delight method for getting the old oil drained with out making a mess.

An old paint roller tray is placed tight up against the engine chassis and a piece of 50mm plastic pipe with a cut away is a pushed up under the drain plug so the oil is guided into the paint tray.  When full the tray can be emptied into an old 25ltr tin.  My friendly local blacksmith has an oil burner in his workshop, so the old oil goes to keep him warm when the forge is not in use.

Air, oil and diesel have been renewed today, with both filters having been pre filled with diesel or oil. Mr Lister was test run for half an hour with no leaks and no bleeding of the injectors required.

I usually put some saw dust down to collect any drips and these have been swept up and used to start a garden bonfire. 

Before I started installing PV 4 years back, this service was required 4 times a year, now its nearly annual.  So for anybody that doubts the value of PV here is the proof.  Running time for the genny reduced from about 1500 hrs per annum to 500hrs per annum.  I need to replace my 24 v (1000 amp hr) cells this coming year and if funds run to it another 1000 watts of PV will get us down to below 250hrs.

I look forward to the day when my red diesel is going stale in the tank!!

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 07:08:22 PM »

Nice work Andy,

my HR2 has a sump pump fitted  Grin to it's oil tank that sits underneath it. It Holds 50lts  Shocked as it was designed for continuous operation.  Sod that for a lark though, I only put 25lts in and change it every 1000h.

That'll be 3017 hours since 1978 and I've done 2967 of them in ten years, two of those pre Battery/wind/diesel/hydro/PV.

My SR 2 has a tap on the sump for easy changing but my mates ST 2 I used to do EXACTLY like you and it made me smile seeing someone else doing the same. However last time I changed his oil I fitted a 1/4" BSP hydraulic hose.

It required some nimble finger work to do it without emptying the contents of the sump in the wrong place,

but now with the plug on the end of the hose it's a doddle  Cool

Just unscrew the plug and straight into the container laid on its side.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 07:34:36 PM »

Neat idea Paul.  I might just copy that and perhaps put a tap on the end for a deluxe version.

Cheers

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
guydewdney

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »

I have installed a tap and flexible hose for my half ton waterwheel gearbox for the same reason. 3/4" BSP though  Grin

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
solar_cambridge

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »

I have installed a tap and flexible hose for my half ton waterwheel gearbox for the same reason. 3/4" BSP though  Grin
Do any of you use ZX1? I've used it for years now in car engines. I'm convinced its more than just the placebo effect. Perhaps a few extra MPG in the old turbo diesel banger. Very noticeable improvement when you dip a HSS bit in the stuff and drill sheet metal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: