navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AirForce1 Turbine Questions  (Read 4057 times)
dhaslam

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 12:34:44 PM »

Is it possible to  stop the furling  function?   In projected very strong winds  it could be moved out of the wind manually.  There is  a video   somewhere of a hook being added to the tail  so that it could be captured with a long pole with a loop on top.  This would probably only have to be done once or twice in a year and automatic furling might not save it then anyway.

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Other-Power

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »

If you are looking to make some inroads into the darker months consumpion of diesel fuel you will need a propper turbine.

Marshman (Roger) ran the same turbine at a very good site and his production figures make for good reading relative to size of machine but still not that many kWh all said and done.

Maybe, if you have not done so already, you need to review your current consumption and see what alternatives you have to reduce the demand in the first instant.  Also look at logging the power as its consumed to see if you can avoid peaks in consumption.

In reality I think you really need a bigger machine with all the planning constraints that comes with it.  I think this is not what you want to hear, I have worked with chicken farmers who purchased off grid kit at vast expense for it to be destroyed by strong conditions.  All this was replaced with a 6kW Proven producing 16,000kWh a year and a good ROI too.

There are some 3kW machines on the market now that may be suitable also.

Cheers

Jon

My advice is based on me spending my money doing this and my job spending others money doing this.
bautsche

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 05:05:46 PM »

Hi. Yes, I can stop the furling function. It seems that the previous owner had done this to the turbine. Would I want the tail to go straight into the direction of the wind or slightly to the left (which is what the previous owner appears to have done) to counteract some sort of drag produced by the spinning blades?

Re the bigger turbine: Yes, I was in fact after a Kingspan Wind (Proven at the time) 6kW turbine. It seems you are not aware of the <a href=http://www.highpeak.gov.uk/hp/council-services/ldf-evidence-base/peak-sub-region-climate-change-study>Peak Sub-Region Climate Change Study</a> which basically concludes that anywhere where there's enough wind in the Peak District and surrounding areas it would be a bad idea to put a wind turbine because it would be exposed and visible... I have no idea what emoticon to put for this, sorry....
bautsche

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 07:12:27 PM »

Also, does anyone have a link to Marshman's data on the turbine?
Thanks.
Eric
marshman

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 09:39:33 PM »

Hi Eric,

This is a link to some video of my turbine. It shows clearly the tail mounting and also furling.  It was happiest in 20 - 25mph SW (clear air) but it was also not too bad in NE winds where the wind was coming over nearby buildings.

Mine was an earlyish turbine and I "upgraded" the tail last year. The newer tail had a slightly longer bar and also a damper on the hinge to stop the more violent swings in turbulent air. This markedly improved the output in gusty conditions and also when the wind was from the NE over the nearby buildings.

As Martin has said it does need a decent breeze to produce anything meaningful - with mine it was very noisy in a gentle breeze - the golden rule was if you could hear the turbine above the noise of the wind it wasn't generating much! but it was capable of sustained output above 500W in the correct wind.

I have now sold mine but it ran as well as any small turbine could for over five years in all weathers - never lowered it. I have my own weather station - www.thejonesgroup.co.uk and record/log wind data 24/7 and it survived several storms with winds gusting over 80mph.

I do have an Excel spreadsheet with over 3 years of daily output recorded which I can email if you are interested - I can also probably dig out the daily wind run data to go with it if you really want.

regards

Roger

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
marshman

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 09:44:36 PM »

Just added the last 3 years output data Excel file to the webpage here -> http://www.thejonesgang.co.uk/fe048/index.htm 

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
bautsche

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 06:17:05 AM »

This is great stuff, thanks, Roger. I know what I'm aiming for now....

Thanks a lot.
Eric
kernelpower

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 12:26:26 AM »

marshmann , that turbine is "smashing" it round , a joy to see !! Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: