navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It died :-(  (Read 5546 times)
camillitech

« on: November 06, 2013, 08:51:19 PM »

The poor Yangzhou Shenzhou died, or to be more precise I killed it  signofcross It was my own fault, my 'wee baby' was not designed for Highland gales yet I left her unattended throughout several days of windy weather. Nothing too severe as the ferries ran throughout but it was more than she could take and she's now toast  Cry

I don't blame the wee turnip, I know I rant about how carp they are but I knew that. The 'wee baby' belted out the amps in the lightest of winds and it was obvious from the start that anything with blades so large was going to self destruct in a gale. Biff told me too chop 100mm off the blades and I was too slow in doing so.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2013/11/06/its-my-own-fault/

So all I need now is a new stator and to chop the blades and balance them  hysteria

I am not giving up her yet, she'd only been up for two weeks but we'd grown quite fond of her.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
ecogeorge

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »

What killed her ? over speed or too much load?
camillitech

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:00:22 PM »

I think it was a combination of shorting out the phases briefly, discovering it was a bad idea then just letting her rip throughout the gale. I swear I heard it go into 'meltdown' around 3:00am one wild night as the morning after it was turning very slowly and applying the 'brake' made no difference. One phase appeared to be out but as the wind picked up she started generating, she was even generating just before I took her down.

I'm missing her already  Cry

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Heinz

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 09:07:15 PM »

That looks a little cooked !
RIP Turnip  Cry

H

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
clivejo

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 10:21:23 PM »

** ruffles about in his magic sack and pulls out a new stator **

Ill swap you for a Proven coil Tongue Deal?

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »

Sorry to hear,Paul,
                  That your new turnip has passed away..The stator is certainly well cooked,I am sure that there is someone about with innards for it because most of these little Turbines cast the blades before they fried the stator.
      My first 2kw Y/S had the same blades but I went and specified the large lowwind speed blades, horror:The now normal hollow fibreglass ones and never got to fly the big R5Rs.(seagullswing) Thankfully,because I found out later that they created a bit of panic in a real storm,They stayed intact OK but sometimes during furling,they could flap about a bit and send everyone running for cover.
         I guess you will need the whole innards and shaft and all would be handier. You never know,there could be someone reading this at the moment with the complete package less the prop and tail,!They might be glad to see it get a good home on the Isles.
                                                                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
agrarian

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 11:24:55 AM »

Paul,

I'm sorry for your loss, having had similar experiences myself, I know how you feel. Keep the bits, buy another one, and learn from the experience.

Ag

2 x Yangzhou Shenzhou 2KW , 1.2KW pv, 540Ah@120v deep cycle, 2 x 2KW sine wave, off grid on a Snowdonia mountain. Never forget that the power varies as the CUBE of the windspeed.
clockmanFR

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 12:20:18 PM »

Go on Paul, make a little Hugh Piggott  signofcross, you know it makes sence!  extrahappy

Now that you have experience in making stuff  genuflect. Just copy his blade design, use 3 fence posts. Wind some coils, stick some magnets on a disc, use a car stub axle, get the self furling offset correct .

Go On, GO ON, Go On.! 

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »

Sorry to hear of your loss. signofcross
She was a brave wee lass still producing till her last revolution  Cry Cry

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 03:09:21 PM »

I would rather buy another 200watt,
                          They are a gallant little machine.Once one understands that the 7ft prop blades have to be cut,they will run for a long long time.
   Some years back,I managed to aquire one and after getting it going,I sold it to a fellow in the woods in Cavan,every week I would get a call from him to say that it was driving everything,(only 200watt Roll Eyes)Then a big gust ripped the pole of the barn and fired it into a pond where it lay for a day.
    The pond was full of gunge and god knows what.He landed back with me with all the bits and pieces in the boot of his micra.There was not a lot of money involved.I took it and hosed it.cleaned it up,stuck another set of blades on it and put it running again.It was quite stiff to turn so I blasted it with WD40 and put a power drill on it and lo and behold it was giving out the charge great.I had no great hope for it but one day a friend turned up.He saw it sitting there in the corner and asked me all about it.So I told him the history and we had a bit of a laugh. He bought it and used the lump on a small hydro scheme he had.The phone would ring and the voice would say" Guess what,??" Guess what it putting out now.?he would demand,
  I would have no idea,,not a bulls notion,so I would say,,"perhaps 28volts,?  Near it,"?
 "Out by a mile" would come the reply,,"Out but a bally big mile" ( no he was not a member of the cast in Fr Ted)Then he would tell me that it was churning out 52 volts ,steady.
 A week later he rang to say that it was not doing as well as it was at the start,"I think I will put the hub and blades back on and send it up as a wind turbine" " you know it was origionally designed for wind power,you know,,you know."A week later he rang again,"Its not right you know,Its going round the best but its not right you know,you know."
  He took it down and opened it.He repaired the loose wire,Gave it a shot of grease and sent it back up the pole.A year later he landed back and told me that it was churning away the very best.Even after I told him to chop the blades down,it is still running with the 7ft prop. hysteria. " Do You know where I would get another one"? says he
                                                                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
kernelpower

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 04:19:09 PM »

Think I have done the same thing to my Experimental H P Type turbine , shorted it and it made a weird clanking noise for a while and I think the output is well down , I will have to take it down tomorrow and have a look Sad, new stator I guess if its blown some coils?

camillitech

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 05:19:13 PM »

It might not be so serious KP, Merkland had a similar problem with his 200w some years ago and it was just a bad joint http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15665.0

Good luck, Paul

kernelpower

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »

Cool , hey Paul , there is a guy a few miles from me he has a 200 watter , long story but I got his number off his farm gate and I text him because his turbine only had 1 blade Smiley , anyways he had a bit of a rant about it and mentioned solar etc , anyway if you were interested I could get a price , he only has it on a 15 foot tower , if you might be interested ill try and have a word.

Cheers
camillitech

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 07:27:58 PM »

Cool , hey Paul , there is a guy a few miles from me he has a 200 watter , long story but I got his number off his farm gate and I text him because his turbine only had 1 blade Smiley , anyways he had a bit of a rant about it and mentioned solar etc , anyway if you were interested I could get a price , he only has it on a 15 foot tower , if you might be interested ill try and have a word.

Cheers

Sure I'd be interested KP, I kinda got very fond of the little dragonfly in the two weeks that it flew. Be nice to see it flying again, though perhaps with shorter blades and only on 'British Summer Time'  Grin

Cheers, Paul

kernelpower

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »

I will try to get round his way , its a farm with big locked gates and a letterbox but ill just ask him how much he wants for it , can't hurt , he is in no way attached to it so  might be available for a song.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: