navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Controller Classic 200, oh dear!  (Read 3900 times)
clockmanFR

« on: November 09, 2013, 08:40:24 PM »

What is it with me and Controllers.   sh*tfan

I am just fitting this new MidNite Solar Classic 200 for my latest 2Kw PV Solar Tracker, (Tristar do not do a controller that can handle 2 strings of 4 panels per Tracker, about 160vdc), and yes this Classic 200 cost me a 733 eurofaint .

Any way I have just put the temp sensor on one of my batteries, as recommended, and installed the 20mm/sq cable and the 24vdc tracker power feed into the Tracker control box.

Opened the Classic 200 to see where the cables, battery temp sensor etc fit, and I find the Fan cable has been crushed/sliced by the aluminium casing.

Looks like my Sunday is repairing the cable with solder and glue lined heat shrink. There is sufficient cable length to do an effective repair. If this was Chinky Made I would expect things like this, but An American made, Stickers all over saying "Made in USA" ?

I only hope that if the case shorted out the fan circuit, when under test at the manufacturing plant, that it has NOT done permanent damage to the main board. ?

* PB090470a.jpg (120.98 KB, 584x778 - viewed 266 times.)

* PB090472a.jpg (117.41 KB, 568x758 - viewed 278 times.)

* PB090471a.jpg (109.13 KB, 655x492 - viewed 254 times.)

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »

Not a good start C/M,
                 If I am buying something,no matter what,,and I see "turbo" written on it,I will drop it like a hot brick.It is the kind of statement that says,, "Thunderbirds are go".I know that these controllers have a good name but I am sticking to the big digital chinese jobs which have never let me down in all the years I have used them.OK,I fried the old grey box version but the digital jobbies are bullit proof.
      I just take one of my 2kw chinese wind/solar hybrid jobs and send my 1100watt array in the solar end,each 1kw array has its own controller,Its a tad overengineered but the resuts so far have been delightfull.
                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 09:26:36 PM »

Send it back mate, if there is anything else wrong with it, the makers wont entertain a claim if you have repaired the cables. It's not worth risking 700 spondoolicks is it?

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
clockmanFR

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 09:58:36 PM »

Biff, Luck of the I... .

Desp you are right, but consumer rights in France and Spain, (MidNite Stockists, the retailer) are actively non existent. Yes they are in Europe and under EEC laws, but as you have probably seen and heard, consumers in these parts have a rough deal and its nothing like as good as the UK.

Any way, I have posted on the Midnite Solar Forum site, and have already had a response.

http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1475.0

WE WILL SEE!
We Will See.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:01:01 PM by clockmanFR » Logged

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
camillitech

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 06:58:39 AM »

Now that's what I DO love about Midnite, Outback, SMA and once upon a time Trace, a great back up and forum. Something that Victron, Morningstar, Studer and all the Chinese manufacturers are lacking. Worth about 10% on the price of a product I'd say  genuflect It makes me want to rush out and buy one CM  Wink

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
martin

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 09:01:40 AM »

Having read the posts on their forum, what a great example of how things should be done - full marks to the company!

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: