navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New supply of led lights,  (Read 8960 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« on: November 17, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »

So she and I did a Chrismas shopping trek,
                                     Trollies of grub for the freezer,but we came across some fantastic led light bargains in Lydl, srtrips of led lighting with transformer,switch and leds for 14.99euros. Then little battery jobs which had a sound and light sensor.After dark it only works if you are close to it,so its idea in a hall or top of stairs, 7euros 49cents. They look very well made with a good selection of different types.
                                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 05:51:28 PM »

Thanks Biff, those look interesting. They also have LED GU10's, 5W's for 4.99 or 2 for 9.

Think I may pop in for those strips ........ now ...... where to put em? Hmmm.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 06:06:04 PM »

Good for the dark places in the kitchen

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »

We have fitted a small led pir to our ensuite bathroom,
                                                          It seems to be very good,however it is powered by 6 x 1,5aa,s but we dont mind that because I can fit a better supply to it.You can adjust the distance by tilting the angle of the light.It stays on for 1min after you walk away(says 30secs on the leaflet but its more than a min.)Good value for 7,euros 49cents.
                                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 11:05:18 PM »

The other set I bought is a trio of led strips with 9 leds in each strip.
                      You can push these strips all together to make one big strip of 30" approx or could be fitted seperatedly with interconnecting cables. The mains adapter brings the current down to 12v x .25amp dc=2.8watt which is intresting for anyone wanting to wire up a caravan or camper.14,99euro  may seem a bit expensive but all the bits and pieces are there and it kit can be configured to fit so many purposes that just having one handy is a must.
                                                                                  Biff

martin

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »

As 'er indoors is heading in that direction tomorrow, could you clarify?  -the mains fed jobbies that come in a strip of 3, does each strip run off 12v, or do they all have to be joined together to run off 12v (I have ideas of using them in my caravan off the battery)

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
splyn

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 11:54:02 PM »

(I have ideas of using them in my caravan off the battery)

Be aware that at least some of the three-LED strip lights previously sold at LIDL, although operating from a small 12V power supply, have a touch switch on the light unit, which I deduced (not opened it up), uses mains pickup through your finger to operate. I found that out when trying to use ours when camping - not a lot of mains pickup in a tent running off the car battery!

Splyn
knighty

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 12:03:07 AM »

if you want strips of led lights which run on 12v... check ebay... there's a million and one options to pick from

a long of them come on a reel, and you just cut off the length(s) that you need :-)
martin

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 12:09:02 AM »

Thanks! I'm trying to look at ways to fairly easily replace the 12v fluorescents with led's that will gave a faily equivalent light (not too directional, and giving a "warm" light of circa 3000 degrees). There are also a couple of "bullseye" lights that had 10w car bulbs in, which I've replaced with LED tail lights, BUT they're 'orribly directional and give a ghastly "cold" light

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »

Good Mornng Martin,
                   I would assume that each strip can run of its own 12v supply,However there is only one online switch online switch but there are 3 seperate cables ,each 1250mm long plus the mains cable to the switch and the little transformer plug, It states quite clearly that the system is 12v after the transformer.So you would have more than enough to stretch over 16ft.
      You could even push the led 10" strips together to make one ridgid 30" one.They are well made and the connections are exellent.
      The battery powered one which I put in the bedroom ensuite is really very good and gives exellent light long enough to get back to bed(good buy)
            I am not their salesman but these leds are good gear.
                                                                             Biff
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:29:13 AM by biff » Logged

freddyuk

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 09:53:22 PM »

Thanks! I'm trying to look at ways to fairly easily replace the 12v fluorescents with led's that will gave a faily equivalent light (not too directional, and giving a "warm" light of circa 3000 degrees). There are also a couple of "bullseye" lights that had 10w car bulbs in, which I've replaced with LED tail lights, BUT they're 'orribly directional and give a ghastly "cold" light

T5 or T8 tubes? Why not just replace with 12v LED tubes? You can get "warm white".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: