navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jim Al-Khalili  (Read 3548 times)
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:36 PM »

Just read Jims book Paradox, where he discusses and takes apart in some detail nine enigmas that have confronted physics through history. Olbers paradox, Fermis, and others are explained in the way Jim Al-Khalili seems so at ease with. If you like quantum weirdness, cosmology and time travel plus lots more, this is a cracking read.

Also in the middle of Pathfinders, a look at Arabic science through the ages, with a good historical grounding of the last 6 thousand years or so of relationships in the middle east. I have always found the world of Islam hard to fathom, but this cuts through the fog like nothing else I have read.

I think Jim Al-Khalili is as good if not better than John Gribben at bringing complex ideas to numpties like me.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
martin

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:38:22 PM »

The Iranian Comedian? ralph

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
marcus

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:16:49 PM »

I think you're thinking of Omid djalili.  Grin

j al-khalili in on bbc R4 quite regularly (and poss some bbc tv documentaries?).
skyewright

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »

Martin did follow his comment with a  ralph, but...
j al-khalili in on bbc R4 quite regularly
"BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific": http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015sqc7

There is a big archive of past editions. Great stuff.  Grin

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
guydewdney

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:28:29 AM »

The Iranian Comedian? ralph

all the same to you?

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 12:12:04 PM »

I have just read his book Quantum a guide for the perplexed. Thoroughly enjoyed it.  As you say Desp a good read for the not terribly bright but still confusing for me!! tumble

Kidwelly South Wales
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 12:23:54 PM »

Same as that Tod, Grin

I take solace from a quote by Richard Feynman, "If you think you understand quantum theory, you don't understand it" Cool

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: