navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current FIT rates and EPC validity  (Read 3346 times)
ianh64
« on: November 20, 2013, 01:12:23 PM »

How long are the current Solar PV rates likely to be valid for?

i.e. 14.9p/4.64p/20 years

Also, I have a D rated EPC dated May 2008 from original owner of this house. Is this valid for FIT or do I need to get a new one? Some installers are including this in price, other charging seperately.

Thanks

-Ian
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:58:01 PM by ianh64 » Logged
M

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 03:15:36 PM »

Hiya Ian, I've read articles saying that install levels weren't high enough to trigger a degression on 1/1/14, so next degression point will be 1/4/14. That will be 9 months, and the rules are that a degression has to take place every 9 months (3 qtrs) so if install levels are still low(ish) for the current quarter then regardless that would still mean a 3.5% cut in FiT in April.

I assume the 4.64p will go up with inflation in April.

Last thing and I may have misunderstood this, but I think 2013 installs will get an inflationary lift in April, but installs (also @ 14.9p) between Jan and Mch won't, might not sound much, but they will 'always' be one inflation lift (perhaps 2.5%(ish)) behind.

Nice and clear!

[Edit: I think EPC's are valid for 10 years, but you might want one after the PV anyway, as it should show a better figure. M.]

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
ianh64
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »

Thanks

I had not thought about the inflation increase. It does make sense to get an install this side of it then that would benefit nearly 20 years.

-Ian
M

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 03:40:17 PM »

Thanks

I had not thought about the inflation increase. It does make sense to get an install this side of it then that would benefit nearly 20 years.

-Ian

Unless you can get an install next year (Jan to Mch) for 2.5% less outlay!!!!!

I think you're starting to see that most things with PV are very simple, but when you scratch the surface and ask a slightly tricky question like the "what is 4kW?" things get complicated fast.

Also, whilst the FiT is very important, it's only that part that won't get the inflationary lift (which I may be completely wrong about anyway - if so, sorry), export will, and leccy savings do naturally, as and when, so total difference will be a little less than 2.5%, or whatever the uplift is.

Clear as mud, yet again!

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
ianh64
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »

Yes. All very confusing. You ask one question, get two answers then get two more questions to answer!

I am seriously looking to reverting to a 'cheap' install knowing its many pitfalls and not being so worried about all the other pitfalls that I do not know about. Worrying about whether the extra 2000 here and 500 there is going to be value for money opens up so many potential compromised. I realise that 2000 extra is made up in 10 years by extra 200 on FIT, but I'm getting to the point where I'm not so sure it is worth losing all the sleep over.

I assume that if I replaced say a 2KW system in 10 years time with a 4KW one, I would not get the original FIT deal but on the larger export and generation amounts?
ianh64
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 03:21:03 PM »

I've just downloaded my EPC from landmark website.

It is D for Energy Efficiency Rating but E for Environmental impact (one below D).

Is it the D Energy Efficiency Rating that Solar PV FIT compliance is looking for or do they look at both?

Since the EPC was done, we have done a few of the recommended improvements (such as low energy bulbs) which would bring it to D64/D55  but of course we have no EPC for these.

After Solar is fitted, it suggests that we will be a C75/D67 which doesn't take into the account of what we have already done.

Will we need another EPC for Solar. The guys at Ikea (who we are no longer using) said yes, but all the info that I have gleaned indicates that our current certificate is still valid and I'm reluctant to fork our for something if its not needed.

* Untitled.jpg (82.46 KB, 648x304 - viewed 333 times.)
johnuready

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 04:34:11 PM »

ianh64

I'm told that the original install stays at install rate

New install i.e. my 4kW + new 5 kW pays rate for 9kW about 13.2 ish, it's reduced a bit from standard rate as its a 2nd system install
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 04:50:08 PM »

It is the Energy Efficiency Rating that matters and you already have a 'D'. The EPC is valid for ten years from issue. You do not need another EPC to claim the higher rate FIT.

Volunteer moderator
ianh64
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »

Thanks for info.

My installer checked rates are static at Ofgen

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/84190/fitpaymenttable1january2014tariffs.pdf

Out of curiosity, what are the higher, middle and lower rates? I thought that there were only two based on whether EPC was D and above or not.
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 08:04:16 AM »

Higher rate for EPC 'D' or better, lower rate for EPC 'E' or worse and middle rate for those who have more than 25 installations which are all EPC 'D' or better.

Volunteer moderator
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: