navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice appreciated on roof insulation  (Read 22184 times)
Other-Power

« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2014, 09:29:50 AM »

Well spotted.

I think the two 12mm plasterboard sheets will be rated for half hour, I think its the fixing materiel and air gap that adds to the rating.

My advice is based on me spending my money doing this and my job spending others money doing this.
don0301

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2014, 11:24:09 AM »

Received this email today from the Simcott surveyor:

Good morning Mr ,

As discussed yesterday please forward this email to building control to ensure that the materials and method of works are to your approval.

Works to the top floor of (room in the roof)

We have 6 sections that require attention.

Large bedroom front and rear

Small bedroom front and rear

Landing front and rear.

All 6 areas will be attended to in the same principal and using the same materials apart from the rear landing that will require a scaffold to access the area.

We will remove the plasterboard from the underside of the roof rafters (skielings) and expose the cellotex.

The rafters have been confirmed at 150mm deep.

All insulation will be removed to allow inspection of the wall plate area.

The rafters will have a 25mm batten installed to the rear to stop the Celotex moving once installed and to ensure the air flow within the roof.

We will then install 120mm Celotex xr4000 between the rafters and cut tight to avoid any gaps.

Any cuts or timber will then be covered with silver thermal tape leaving a full foil surface.

We will then use stainless fixings to install a layer of 25mm tb4000 to the rafter face.

This will also be covered with silver thermal tape leaving a full foil surface.

We then will install 2 layers of 12.5mm plasterboard with staggered joints and taped and jointed.

All areas will then be decorated to match existing.

Notes

The 120mm Celotex installed between the rafters will be extended above the ceiling line and cut tight to the glulam beam in the roof space.

The loft insulation will be removed from any areas that block the air flow behind the Celotex and installed correctly.

Once all works have been completed a further thermal camera inspection will be carried out.

With regards to a building regs application I will need to speak to Taylor Wimpey as they are the main contractor.

If you can also confirm if you have spoken to your tenants regarding the works as discussed that would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:46:26 AM by don0301 » Logged
Other-Power

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2014, 11:45:26 AM »

Thats really great news there, really pleased for you.

Please do take pictures of the works!

Jon

My advice is based on me spending my money doing this and my job spending others money doing this.
don0301

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »

Thats really great news there, really pleased for you.

Please do take pictures of the works!

Jon

Thanks, and will do  Grin

The surveyor said he will visit around 10am the first day (after all the plasterboard is removed) to inspect and confirm everything that needs doing with the workers.

He said he will also visit at least once during the works, and at the end to ensure I am fully satisfied.

Took a long time but got there in the end  extrahappy

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2014, 07:04:38 PM »

If you need specs concerning fire ratings have a look at British gypsum or knauf sites you can download any info required.
Beware, any fire recommendations depend entirely on the exact specs being followed, even down to the type of screws and substrate.
Have seen many 'alleged' fire rated ceilings where the fixings have been chucked into the void, and with them the fire protection.

This just a general rather than a specific comment, not meant to be alarmist.

Am really delighted that you have succeeded the little guy against corporate might.
Hope the work goes smoothly and the result is entirely to your satisfaction.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
don0301

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2014, 08:15:37 AM »

If you need specs concerning fire ratings have a look at British gypsum or knauf sites you can download any info required.
Beware, any fire recommendations depend entirely on the exact specs being followed, even down to the type of screws and substrate.
Have seen many 'alleged' fire rated ceilings where the fixings have been chucked into the void, and with them the fire protection.

This just a general rather than a specific comment, not meant to be alarmist.

Am really delighted that you have succeeded the little guy against corporate might.
Hope the work goes smoothly and the result is entirely to your satisfaction.

Thanks.

It has turned out the best possible result I could have hoped for, shame it took TW so long and be so arsy for so long before it got sorted, 5 months.

I feel like Andy Dufresne 'It only took 6 years of a letter a day to get my first books, imagine if i wrote 2 letters a week...'  ballspin

Hopefully this thread may give courage in the future to others in a similar position.

don0301

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2014, 10:04:18 AM »

Well, nearly a month on and....

Still not done!

Taylor Wimpey fault as I sent more and angrier emails for action, it got too much for one of my lodgers who has now left.

Anyway, finally got dates 3 March for 2 weeks, with 2 workmen. Hotel booked for my other lodger.

Camera at the ready! Fingers crossed!

Good job Taylor Wimpey took 7 months, and all of winter before finally setting a date  Roll Eyes
don0301

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2014, 04:43:04 PM »

Work started  extrahappy

They've asked for extra workmen, as the plasterboard is fixed to cheap plywood behind, taking them a lot longer to remove.

So far basically NO insulation....and daylight peeking through in various places....
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2014, 05:06:46 PM »

Hopefully it will all go well Don.
                             You will be amazed the difference the insulation will make.It must have been a real ice box to live in up till now but at least you are getting it done at last.
   In the 1990s we built loads of 3 story town houses for Wimpey in Biggin Hill.The site was on the side of a steep hill. The ground was pure chalk.There were more bricks in the retaining walls than there were in the houses but the houses themselves were Ok,.I had seen worse.I cannot remember the price of them but I know they were very expensive.
            However,The dry lining was done by an English couple from Crawley,Him and Her working away like mad all day, non stop.I never saw dry lining done as quickly as that couple did it.They were the best I ever seen,Sometimes our lads would go in and stick their plumb bead on the dry lining to check it for plum,just to annoy the bloke,but she would chase them out the door double quick.She was a good looker as well. As for insulation,Narry a fibre of insulation ever touched those houses but I guess they have all been done by now.
                                                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Other-Power

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2014, 05:21:11 PM »

Looking good, if those sheets of OSB come off nice, see if you can nab them, you know save them paying for the tipping cost, they are handy/could sell them and they are yours!

Keep up the pictures!

Where did you get to with them in regards loss of earnings from you lodger leaving?

Cheers

Jon

mespilus

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2014, 10:21:56 PM »

Take pictures of every area that you can.

First: to prove the absence of insulation
Second: to stay ahead of TW
Third: documented observation improves attention to detail.

Make certain they use the agreed stainless steel fixings!

(Wera also do [reassuringly expensive] stainless steel bits).

Now in the HS2 blight zone
knighty

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2014, 10:31:11 PM »

anyone know why the chipboard is there ?  looks a bit odd to me?
don0301

« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2014, 09:17:53 AM »

No time to answer posts yet, bear with me Smiley

Well, It started so well....

This morning the Simcott boss came to inspect after the first bits had been removed to tell the guys what need doing.

The wrong size (too big, which I had noted and commented on) battens had been delivered, he said "well, we don't need them"....

He said it's only standard felt not breathable but he'll keep the same vent gap as the insulation won't fit otherwise....(which was not what the Council building control had told me, I pointed out in my notes this to the Simcott guy)

At this point I started getting very angry with him, deviating from what was agreed etc etc

One big argument later, I got hold of the Council building control guy I had spoken too, discovered they haven't done a building application as I had informed them they had to! Grrrrrr

Council guy coming out this morning

After threats of going to the papers, finally someone from Taylor Wimpey is coming to speak to me

The customer care manager Karen Day, who has not bothered replying to 25-30 emails, phone messages before asking then demanding she speak to me about all this

And another guy, head of production or something.

They will be here at 10:30 with the Simcott guy.

Meanwhile (now 3) Simcott people continue to rip out the top of my home....

Couldn't make this sh*t up....

So angry....

Oh yeah the insulation arrived this morning and the 25mm ones are wrong size, again pointed out by me, and to begin with argued by Simcott guy I was wrong, until I showed him the email from him agreeing what would be done....
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:27:59 AM by don0301 » Logged
mespilus

« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2014, 09:49:33 AM »

Morale boosting message.

Your focus,
and,
the documentation you have prised out of them,
will enable you to 'win',
but,
you have to remember these people have built careers on doing that which was easiest,
and easily slipped past an unobservant client.

It will be frustrating
and
blood pressure raising,
but
you know there is only one route to an acceptable outcome.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:58:36 AM by mespilus » Logged

Now in the HS2 blight zone
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2014, 09:54:32 AM »

And film everything,
                 but you gotta relax and stay cool.They might accuse you of being impossible to work with,so relax.
                                                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: